Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Opteron dual-core & A64-X2 benchmarks

Opteron dual-core & A64-X2 benchmarks

gimp

the dual core opty cpus are officially released today i think? if they
havn't been already....

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2397&p=1

omg the price comparison on page 3 of that review is horrific, 3 x the
cost per cpu for an additional core. the review could've been a bit more
comprehensive for opteron benchmarks, but overall still fairly
interesting....

AD.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:57:35 +1200, gimp wrote:

> the dual core opty cpus are officially released today i think? if they
> havn't been already....
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2397&p=1
>
> omg the price comparison on page 3 of that review is horrific, 3 x the
> cost per cpu for an additional core.

It's not as bad as that overall.

A single socket dual core doesn't need to spend the money on a dual socket
board and extra bank of RAM for equivalent performance.

And a dual socket board with dual cores doesn't need to spend the extra
money on a quad mobo and 2 extra RAM banks for equivalent performance.

While the chips are 3X the price (and that's probably just initially),
overall systems prices will probably be a lot more favourable - and even
more so once power, cooling and space requirements are taken into account.

--
Cheers
Anton

gimp

AD. wrote:
> A single socket dual core doesn't need to spend the money on a dual socket
> board and extra bank of RAM for equivalent performance.
>
> And a dual socket board with dual cores doesn't need to spend the extra
> money on a quad mobo and 2 extra RAM banks for equivalent performance.

hmm true i suppose... frustrating though 'cause i was looking forward to
building a dual-core dual-cpu workstation immediately most
components, dual-cpu mobo and registered ram are coming down in price
but just one of those cpus would be almost twice the cost of the best
motherboard around, the tyan K8WE. yeah for now that dream is a bit out
of reach...

AD.

gimp wrote:
> AD. wrote:
>
>> A single socket dual core doesn't need to spend the money on a dual
>> socket
>> board and extra bank of RAM for equivalent performance.
>>
>> And a dual socket board with dual cores doesn't need to spend the extra
>> money on a quad mobo and 2 extra RAM banks for equivalent performance.

> hmm true i suppose... frustrating though 'cause i was looking forward to
> building a dual-core dual-cpu workstation immediately most
> components, dual-cpu mobo and registered ram are coming down in price
> but just one of those cpus would be almost twice the cost of the best
> motherboard around, the tyan K8WE. yeah for now that dream is a bit out
> of reach...

Patience grasshopper, they will get cheaper.

I expect the dual core Athlons will be much more in line with your price
expectations. After all, Opterons are for people that can justify the
expense and AMD is relishing the chance to have a range of high margin
cpus for a while.

It might even be enough for me to upgrade. I would happily trade high
clock speeds for dual cores - nothing I really do is cpu bound, but
smoother multitasking would be very nice.

--
Cheers
Anton