Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP BSOD "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" ???

XP BSOD "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" ???

Frederick

I am getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD on XP SP2.

Only occurs when plugging in a USB 2.0 card reader - BSOD occurs when
it's part way through doing the "found new hardware" thing. It did boot
once okay with the card reader plugged in - but the card reader didn't
work. Get the same BSOD when plugging the card reader into a USB 1.1 port.

Have checked the card reader in several other XP SP2 systems, and no
problem.

Looks like some driver incompatibility problem. System has USB 1.1 on
board, and USB 2.0 card - which seems to be working okay. Have tried
disabling the on board USB 1.1 in the bios. That didn't work. Did a
system restore and reinstalled drivers for the USB 2 card. That didn't
work. Will now try removing all USB device drivers and rebooting.

Anyone had a similar problem? My googling hasn't been able to point me
in the right direction.

Thanks.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Frederick wrote:
> Anyone had a similar problem? My googling hasn't been able to point me
> in the right direction.

I had the same(pre SP1 though), and it was a faulty stick of memory...
atleast the replaced memory seems to have fixed it.

you are right however that googling it does seem to suggest a driver
incompatibility sort of trend, but hey, who knows.

Frederick

Frederick wrote:
> I am getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD on XP SP2.
>
> Only occurs when plugging in a USB 2.0 card reader - BSOD occurs when
> it's part way through doing the "found new hardware" thing. It did boot
> once okay with the card reader plugged in - but the card reader didn't
> work. Get the same BSOD when plugging the card reader into a USB 1.1 port.
>
> Have checked the card reader in several other XP SP2 systems, and no
> problem.
>
> Looks like some driver incompatibility problem. System has USB 1.1 on
> board, and USB 2.0 card - which seems to be working okay. Have tried
> disabling the on board USB 1.1 in the bios. That didn't work. Did a
> system restore and reinstalled drivers for the USB 2 card. That didn't
> work. Will now try removing all USB device drivers and rebooting.
>
> Anyone had a similar problem? My googling hasn't been able to point me
> in the right direction.
>
> Thanks.

I seem to have got it working. C drive is FAT. D drive is NTFS - where
XP resides, F drive was CDRW, G drive was DVD.
Card reader likes to set up 4 drives, for each of the slots - media in
or not. It seems to not like assigning itself to "E", then H, I and J.
God knows - if there is one.
I put this one down to "POIO effect" - Perversity Of Inanimate Objects.

Frederick

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Frederick wrote:
>
>> Anyone had a similar problem? My googling hasn't been able to point
>> me in the right direction.

> I had the same(pre SP1 though), and it was a faulty stick of memory...
> atleast the replaced memory seems to have fixed it.
>
> you are right however that googling it does seem to suggest a driver
> incompatibility sort of trend, but hey, who knows.

Thanks.
I installed a USB 2.0 card with a floppy slot mounting hub - connected
to the PCI by a (yet another) ribbon cable, and forcing me to shift one
of the HDD which I had bunged in the spare floppy bay. With 2 x IDE
HDDs, 2 x IDE CD/DVD, floppy, a flipping huge video card, a M/B to USB
connector, a few extra case fans to keep the whole shebang from frying
itself, I needed to get my trusty headlamp on so I could even see what I
was doing with my fat fingers. Point is that there was plenty of scope
for me to knock something out of it's slot - but I don't think that - or
memory - was the problem.

Invisible

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:12:19 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Frederick wrote:
>> Anyone had a similar problem? My googling hasn't been able to point me
>> in the right direction.

>I had the same(pre SP1 though), and it was a faulty stick of memory...
>atleast the replaced memory seems to have fixed it.
>
>you are right however that googling it does seem to suggest a driver
>incompatibility sort of trend, but hey, who knows.

I looked at a PC last week with this error... the cause? Xtra's D-Link
modem/router via USB!

Jason Rumney

Frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I am getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD on XP SP2.

> Anyone had a similar problem? My googling hasn't been able to point
> me in the right direction.

I had a similar problem once after installing drivers for a bluetooth
USB stick that conflicted with another driver. The answer was to
uninstall the entire USB stack from safe mode, then let Windows
rebuild it all when it rebooted. Now I'm careful not to plug the
Bluetooth stick into the same USB port as the other device, and things
seem to go OK.

Frederick

Frederick wrote:
> Frederick wrote:
>
>> I am getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD on XP SP2.
>>
>> Only occurs when plugging in a USB 2.0 card reader - BSOD occurs when
>> it's part way through doing the "found new hardware" thing. It did
>> boot once okay with the card reader plugged in - but the card reader
>> didn't work. Get the same BSOD when plugging the card reader into a
>> USB 1.1 port.
>>
>> Have checked the card reader in several other XP SP2 systems, and no
>> problem.
>>
>> Looks like some driver incompatibility problem. System has USB 1.1 on
>> board, and USB 2.0 card - which seems to be working okay. Have tried
>> disabling the on board USB 1.1 in the bios. That didn't work. Did a
>> system restore and reinstalled drivers for the USB 2 card. That
>> didn't work. Will now try removing all USB device drivers and rebooting.
>>
>> Anyone had a similar problem? My googling hasn't been able to point
>> me in the right direction.
>>
>> Thanks.

> I seem to have got it working. C drive is FAT. D drive is NTFS - where
> XP resides, F drive was CDRW, G drive was DVD.
> Card reader likes to set up 4 drives, for each of the slots - media in
> or not. It seems to not like assigning itself to "E", then H, I and J.
> God knows - if there is one.
> I put this one down to "POIO effect" - Perversity Of Inanimate Objects

An update to this...

I don't think that reassigning drive letters was the answer - more
likely just a coincidence.
I later plugged a webcam in to one of the new USB 2 ports - and got the
same error as above. Uninstalling drivers for all USB devices that I
connect to the machine, then reinstalling them seems to have fixed the
problem.

I also use Xandros linux. That recognised the new PCI card and USB card
reader with a normal boot. In fact, the only indication that anything
has changed is that the card reader shows up in the file manager.

BSOD on wireless PC Ian B Wireless Networking 2 12-13-2005 04:05 AM
Aironet 1200 causing BSOD in XP clients! Bob Cisco 1 11-24-2005 03:04 AM
Foxfire BSOD in Win98SE Moshup Trail Firefox 2 03-12-2005 01:30 PM
BSOD part three Bob Computer Support 3 07-06-2003 12:28 PM
BSOD again.......... Bob Computer Support 2 07-04-2003 02:55 AM

Advertisments