Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How slow can you go?

How slow can you go?

~misfit~

(Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour ago and
it isn't even showing on their server).

My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over the
last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me go to
www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.

This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are within NZ,
two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be full speed right?
The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in the USA. The results are
given in kbps, the same units of measurement that was quoted to me as the
speed of the connection I purchased. I thought I bought a 256 kbps
connection to the internet.

The results for my connection tonight are:

Speed Location Hosted By
160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems

Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 20.8 kbps

(Obviously they haven't implemented the planned Australian part of the test,
possibly why there are presently two parts coming direct from Orcon).

20.8 kbps???? My old 486 came with a 28.8 kbps modem that worked at that
speed right out in the sticks.

So where is my 256 kbps? I don't even get close to that speed direct from
my ISP. I was prompted to try this test again tonight as I get the
newsletter from tomshardware and was trying to read an article and I could
basically read a whole magazine between waiting for pages to load. When I
tried it last week it was a little better for international, around 50 kbps
from memory.

Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
--
~misfit~

Mercury

2mbs plan I think - tested via a wireless G connection through a XP SP2
f/w, server s/w f/w, & a h/w f/w. Connectionis via iHug and I don't have
problems with it ever. Plus I am out in the whops!

Speed Location Hosted By
1270.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
815.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
1446.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
834.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
742.6 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 1177.4 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 788.5 kbps

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour ago and
> it isn't even showing on their server).
>
> My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over
> the
> last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me go
> www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.
>
> This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are within
> NZ,
> two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be full speed right?
> The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in the USA. The results are
> given in kbps, the same units of measurement that was quoted to me as the
> speed of the connection I purchased. I thought I bought a 256 kbps
> connection to the internet.
>
> The results for my connection tonight are:
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>

> Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 20.8 kbps
>
> (Obviously they haven't implemented the planned Australian part of the
> test,
> possibly why there are presently two parts coming direct from Orcon).
>
> 20.8 kbps???? My old 486 came with a 28.8 kbps modem that worked at that
> speed right out in the sticks.
>
> So where is my 256 kbps? I don't even get close to that speed direct from
> my ISP. I was prompted to try this test again tonight as I get the
> newsletter from tomshardware and was trying to read an article and I could
> basically read a whole magazine between waiting for pages to load. When I
> tried it last week it was a little better for international, around 50
> kbps
> from memory.
>
> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
> --
> ~misfit~

Paul

I am on 256k Bitstream with Orcon as well, its acceptable for me

258.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
210.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
243.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
165.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
218.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems

Summary
Average (New Zealand): 237.5 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 192.0 kbps

~misfit~ wrote:
> (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour ago and
> it isn't even showing on their server).
>
> My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over the
> last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me go to
> www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.
>
> This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are within NZ,
> two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be full speed right?
> The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in the USA. The results are
> given in kbps, the same units of measurement that was quoted to me as the
> speed of the connection I purchased. I thought I bought a 256 kbps
> connection to the internet.
>
> The results for my connection tonight are:
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>

> Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 20.8 kbps
>
> (Obviously they haven't implemented the planned Australian part of the test,
> possibly why there are presently two parts coming direct from Orcon).
>
> 20.8 kbps???? My old 486 came with a 28.8 kbps modem that worked at that
> speed right out in the sticks.
>
> So where is my 256 kbps? I don't even get close to that speed direct from
> my ISP. I was prompted to try this test again tonight as I get the
> newsletter from tomshardware and was trying to read an article and I could
> basically read a whole magazine between waiting for pages to load. When I
> tried it last week it was a little better for international, around 50 kbps
> from memory.
>
> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
> --
> ~misfit~

Invisible

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:14:18 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems

My spiffy 56k dialup smokes that!

41.4 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
41.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems

David Preece

512kbit/sec Paradise cable:

Speed Location Hosted By

307.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
228.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
133.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
347.4 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
347.2 k United States Nibble Information Systems

Summary
Average (New Zealand): 223.1 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 347.3 kbps

Malcolm

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:14:18 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

<snip>
> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?

Speed Location Hosted By
261.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
251.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
267.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
244.8 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
241.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 260.0 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 243.3 kbps

On IHUG UBS. Upper Hutt, about 1.5Km from exchange.

--
Cheers
Malcolm

Allistar

~misfit~ wrote:

> (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour ago and
> it isn't even showing on their server).
>
> My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over
> the last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me
> go to www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.
>
> This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are within
> NZ, two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be full speed
> right? The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in the USA. The
> results are given in kbps, the same units of measurement that was quoted
> to me as the speed of the connection I purchased. I thought I bought a 256
> kbps connection to the internet.
>
> The results for my connection tonight are:
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems

> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
> --
> ~misfit~

2Mb/s plan with Paradise:

Speed Location Hosted By
1004.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
970.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
1058.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
542.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
844.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems

Summary
Average (New Zealand): 1010.9 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 693.2 kbps

A bit disappointing for a 2Mb/s connection.

Allistar.

~misfit~

phstpok wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>

>> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>>

> 56k while reading news
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 43.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 40.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 42.6 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 42.1 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 41.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 42.2 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 41.8 kbps
>
> 56k while playing freecell (4 wins)
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 44.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 42.6 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 42.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 42.6 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 43.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 43.2 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 42.8 kbps

That's two people on dial-up who get faster international than I do. Wicked,
I'm calling Orcon in the morning, this sucks. I've given their guys
tracert's and pathping's that were requested days ago and I'm still getting
a **** connection. I think I'll only pay them $14.95 this month and tell
them they're lucky to get that.

Thanks to everyone who tested their connections, appreciated.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Paul wrote:
> I am on 256k Bitstream with Orcon as well, its acceptable for me
>
> 258.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 210.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 243.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 165.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 218.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 237.5 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 192.0 kbps

I read that and I thought I was being seriously ripped off. I just tested
again and, for the first time in five days and about the same number of
tests I got acceptable results:

Speed Location Hosted By
259.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
248.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
265.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
208.6 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
245.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 257.7 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 227.1 kbps

However, this test was done at 3am, all the others were done during normal
hours. I'll test again tomorrow during the day and see. That's the first
time I've got over 100 kbps for international and over 200 for NZ.

Either it's because of congestion at different times of the day or Orcon
have fixed it in the last five hours. The post I sent through their server
still hasn't shown up BTW and it was sent an hour earlier than the one
below.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour
>> ago and it isn't even showing on their server).
>>
>> My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international
>> over the last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support
>> they had me go to www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.
>>
>> This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are
>> within NZ, two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be
>> full speed right? The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in
>> the USA. The results are given in kbps, the same units of
>> measurement that was quoted to me as the speed of the connection I
>> purchased. I thought I bought a 256 kbps connection to the internet.
>>
>> The results for my connection tonight are:
>>
>> Speed Location Hosted By
>> 160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>> 144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
>> 155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>> 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
>> 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>>

>> Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
>> Average (Australia): kbps
>> Average (International): 20.8 kbps
>>
>> (Obviously they haven't implemented the planned Australian part of
>> the test, possibly why there are presently two parts coming direct
>> from Orcon).
>>
>> 20.8 kbps???? My old 486 came with a 28.8 kbps modem that worked at
>> that speed right out in the sticks.
>>
>> So where is my 256 kbps? I don't even get close to that speed direct
>> from my ISP. I was prompted to try this test again tonight as I get
>> the newsletter from tomshardware and was trying to read an article
>> and I could basically read a whole magazine between waiting for
>> pages to load. When I tried it last week it was a little better for
>> international, around 50 kbps from memory.
>>
>> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
>> --
>> ~misfit~

~misfit~

Malcolm wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:14:18 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?

> Speed Location Hosted By
> 261.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 251.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 267.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 244.8 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 241.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 260.0 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 243.3 kbps
>
> On IHUG UBS. Upper Hutt, about 1.5Km from exchange.

Hi Malcolm, I've just discovered mine's good at 3am. I might have to become
fully nocturnal:

Summary
Average (New Zealand): 257.7 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 227.1 kbps

I'll test again tomorrow during a busier time.

Cheers mate,
--
~misfit~