Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > mail server recommendations

mail server recommendations

XPD

Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
Windows based (so there goes the free option).

Shane

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:01:15 +1200, XPD wrote:

> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
> home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
> Windows based (so there goes the free option).

out of curiousity is this like IIS on a windows cd? (add/remove packages
etc etc etc)
after seeing in the earlier thread about this I am suddenly curious what
else is supplied ( yes I could look myself, but that would take the 'fun'
out of usenet

Collector»NZ

XPD said the following on 19/04/2005 8:01 p.m.:
> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
> home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
> Windows based (so there goes the free option).

602 Software Lansuite Free for personal use

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

EMB

XPD wrote:
> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
> home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
> Windows based (so there goes the free option).

Mercury/32 - works very well but it's a bit of a PITA to set up.

http://www.pmail.com

--
EMB

Nova

XPD wrote:
> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
> home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
> Windows based (so there goes the free option).

surgemail
www.surgemail.com
its free for 5 users or less

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
> home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
> Windows based (so there goes the free option).

Not at all. Mercury32 will run on Windows. It's a bit of a cow to figure
out how to configure but it's probably the best there is for the
platform.

-P.

Nova

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
>>home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
>>Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
>>Windows based (so there goes the free option).
>>

> Not at all. Mercury32 will run on Windows. It's a bit of a cow to figure
> out how to configure but it's probably the best there is for the
> platform.
>
> -P.

Why do you say its the best out there? I just had a look at it, and it
seems a very basic (eg real lack of features) compared to other mail
servers..

I am just curious what you define as best.., best for what exactly?

steven

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:01:15 +1200, XPD wrote:

> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
> home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
> Windows based (so there goes the free option).

oss, windows baised :-

http://www.hmailserver.com/?page=features

and by the looks of things a new version since i last upgraded it - cool

--
-------------------------------------
Steven H (.net geek)

MarkH

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver
> from home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ?
> Preferably Windows based (so there goes the free option).

I like MDaemon, but it's not free.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-Apr-05)

Dave - Dave.net.nz

XPD wrote:
> Due to increased amounts of spam, Im looking at running a mailserver from
> home for my domain to help cut back on all the crap....
> Any semi decent mail servers out there that are free/cheap ? Preferably
> Windows based (so there goes the free option).

Hamster Classic or Hamster Playground, they do nntp too.
Both Open source aswell if that matters.