Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Question on the 1MB Connection.

Question on the 1MB Connection.

Krazy Bob

I have a friend who is with Quick Silver 256K plan 4GB international and
unlimited National Data.

The problem he is having is High Pings around the 500's in Aus Servers and
100-200 on NZ Servers. He is wanting to know if upgrading to 1MB which would
only be another $5 a month on his bill reduce the Ping times or not?

He spoke to a Techie at Quick Silver and he didn't no much and said he
should wait for ADSL2.

Any Help would be greatly Appreciated

Krazy Bob

SNOman

Krazy Bob wrote:
> I have a friend who is with Quick Silver 256K plan 4GB international and
> unlimited National Data.
>
> The problem he is having is High Pings around the 500's in Aus Servers and
> 100-200 on NZ Servers. He is wanting to know if upgrading to 1MB which would
> only be another $5 a month on his bill reduce the Ping times or not?
>
> He spoke to a Techie at Quick Silver and he didn't no much and said he
> should wait for ADSL2.
>
> Any Help would be greatly Appreciated
>
> Krazy Bob

Do a trace route to see where the problem lies and how the traffic is
being routed. For instance the traffic could be going through the US to
get to OZ

Nicholas Sherlock

Krazy Bob wrote:
> The problem he is having is High Pings around the 500's in Aus Servers and
> 100-200 on NZ Servers. He is wanting to know if upgrading to 1MB which would
> only be another $5 a month on his bill reduce the Ping times or not?

No. If the only change is an upgrade in the max. bandwidth, then it will
do nothing for your ping times.

CHeers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Krazy Bob

"SNOman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3up2o$j3d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Krazy Bob wrote:
>> I have a friend who is with Quick Silver 256K plan 4GB international and
>> unlimited National Data.
>>
>> The problem he is having is High Pings around the 500's in Aus Servers
>> and 100-200 on NZ Servers. He is wanting to know if upgrading to 1MB
>> which would only be another $5 a month on his bill reduce the Ping times
>> or not?
>>
>> He spoke to a Techie at Quick Silver and he didn't no much and said he
>> should wait for ADSL2.
>>
>> Any Help would be greatly Appreciated
>>
>> Krazy Bob

> Do a trace route to see where the problem lies and how the traffic is
> being routed. For instance the traffic could be going through the US to
> get to OZ

How would i get my friend to perform a trace route??
I use a programe called visual route (personally) but he's in Nelson so its
hard for me to perform one on his comp.

Cheers
KB

Dave Taylor

phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d3vn83$e43$(E-Mail Removed):

> start > run > cmd
>
> tracert www.whatever.com

This tool should help if you have an aversion to command prompts:
http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/

--
Ciao, Dave

phstpok

Krazy Bob wrote:
> "SNOman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d3up2o$j3d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Krazy Bob wrote:
>>

> How would i get my friend to perform a trace route??
> I use a programe called visual route (personally) but he's in Nelson so its
> hard for me to perform one on his comp.
>
> Cheers
> KB

start > run > cmd

tracert www.whatever.com

Images >1mb Alan Gilmour ASP .Net 0 04-20-2005 07:33 PM
1603 with 1mb Leased Line paul tomlinson Cisco 8 03-16-2005 01:39 PM
Only about 1MB RAM left, what to do?? fredcromer Computer Support 16 06-10-2004 03:47 AM
Attention PJ Re 1MB Broadband CJ Computer Support 2 01-21-2004 02:24 PM
Fileupload problem with files larger than 1MB grimBeast ASP .Net 2 08-27-2003 09:03 PM

Advertisments