Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon news... getting messages out quicker

Orcon news... getting messages out quicker

The Other Guy

Hi,

For those of you experiencing issues with the slow upstream speed of
Orcons new server, I have put a temporary measure in place to feed nz.*
groups out quicker.

Originally I had planned on only feeding messages posted directly to the
Orcon server, but I have decided to expand this to include any message
that has not come via Giganews. This helps ensure other NZ servers that
are exchanging messages with Orcon via IHAVE, and individuals who use
their own servers to post to news.orcon.net.nz, have a reliable way to
get their nz.* posts out.

If anyone particularly requires other groups to be sent out to the big
wide world quicker, please post them here and I will consider adding
them to the list.

Note, this will run all weekend, and time permitting I will either port
my code over to FreeBSD to run 24/7, or I'll get around to fixing my own
news server to do it. My spool on my own server was recently corrupted
and it isn't a high priority for me to fix it.

The Other Guy

The Other Guy

The Other Guy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For those of you experiencing issues with the slow upstream speed of
> Orcons new server, I have put a temporary measure in place to feed nz.*
> groups out quicker.

If anyone is concerned about how I may be doing this...

The messages are being sent out via IHAVE to a remote server I help
administer. As such, no header changes will result from doing this as
occurs with posting feeds.

I am also only feeding articles with a date header containing 'Apr', and
'2005', to avoid refeeding the old articles that are presently being fed
in to the Orcon server.

The Other Guy

Going back quicker Peter Firefox 6 05-20-2005 09:56 PM
Read quicker than a line per time from a file handle Carlo Filippini Perl 3 10-02-2003 04:38 PM

Advertisments