Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xp home > xp pro

xp home > xp pro

mpayne.hp@gmail.com

i want to upgrade my OEM version of XP Home to XP Pro (just to join a
domain and get advanced security settings etc).

I have a full (legal btw) version of Win XP Pro - but when chucking it
in the laptop it comes up and says you cant upgrade because the version
of windows on the computer is a simalar/newer version.

Is it possible to easily upgrade this laptop - or would a full format,
recovery, data backup etc and then install win_xp be the option/

steven

On 15 Apr 2005 17:17:17 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> i want to upgrade my OEM version of XP Home to XP Pro (just to join a
> domain and get advanced security settings etc).
>
> I have a full (legal btw) version of Win XP Pro - but when chucking it
> in the laptop it comes up and says you cant upgrade because the version
> of windows on the computer is a simalar/newer version.

newer system files

> Is it possible to easily upgrade this laptop - or would a full format,
> recovery, data backup etc and then install win_xp be the option/

first backup stuff, then stick the xp pro disk in the drive reboot the
computer, run setup from there and all will be good.

the last thing you want to do is 'upgrade' (meaning install over a older
copy) it will bring you nothing but nightmares.

you should also consider slipstreaming SP2 onto that XP Professional disk
of yours - the link below points to a fancy program that will automate that
process for you (as well as automate installing windows)

http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html

--
-------------------------------------
Steven H (.net geek)

FreedomChooser

On 15 Apr 2005 17:17:17 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i want to upgrade my OEM version of XP Home to XP Pro (just to join a
>domain and get advanced security settings etc).
>
>I have a full (legal btw) version of Win XP Pro - but when chucking it
>in the laptop it comes up and says you cant upgrade because the version
>of windows on the computer is a simalar/newer version.
>
>Is it possible to easily upgrade this laptop - or would a full format,
>recovery, data backup etc and then install win_xp be the option/

Clean install always works better IME