Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cable modem sharing and XBox Live

Reply
Thread Tools

Cable modem sharing and XBox Live

 
 
William Hamilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
want to share the connection through the house (they have done all the
cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.

I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have never
used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.

tia

W
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
grolschie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
"William Hamilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3l3o5$kis$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
> want to share the connection through the house (they have done all

the
> cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
>
> I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have

never
> used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
> nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
>
> tia
>
> W


Yeah, nasty cable modems that don't allow NAT for multiple pcs on a
LAN. Easy to fix though. Simple method is to get a crappy old Pentium
1 (<$50) or II pc and use Freesco Linux http://www.freesco.org/

Basically it's a minimal Linux install that boots from a floppy or
Fat32 partition and simply does routing. Boot from the floppy,
configure. When it's all working, copy the floppy to a small harddrive
and forget.

Plug the linux box and all the RJ45 sockets into a network switch
(<$50 for an 8 port). Plug in your computers and your X-box and play.
You will need to figure manual IP's or DHCP into this equation.

I set up a box for a client using Telstra/Paradise cable, and the box
sat in a cupboard without a monitor. No reboots or problems for
months. I remember that the default Freesco install didn't have cable
modem option as default, but wasn't hard to figure out.

grol


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
William Hamilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d3l3o5$kis$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
> want to share the connection through the house (they have done all the
> cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
>
> I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have never
> used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
> nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
>
> tia
>
> W
>

Plonk in an IPCop, or Smoothwall , or M0n0, or FreeSCO, or Coyote Linux
box.
IPCop would be my choice...


--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
William Hamilton wrote:
> I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
> want to share the connection through the house (they have done all the
> cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
>
> I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have never
> used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
> nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
>
> tia
>
> W

I used something like this:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=137612
not this exact one... but anyway

I just plugged the telstra clear modem into this via ethernet, it has
its own switch built in, so then all my other pc's plugged into this and
bingo, all were on the network with internet

 
Reply With Quote
 
shannon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
William Hamilton wrote:
> I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
> want to share the connection through the house (they have done all the
> cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
>
> I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have never
> used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
> nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
>
> tia
>
> W


I'm a TC cable customer, I use a Linksys WRT54G router (with EWRT
firmware) which I got from Ascent.
It was $175 IIRC and its a router with wifi 802.11G and 4 port switch.
Definitely the best solution in my experience.
I've also used the Dick Smiths XH1151 router, e-smith, LEAF Bering,
Freesco, Windows ICS etc. The DSE router has now been demoted to
printserver.
They all work, but the Linksys is the easiest to forward ports with, set
up static DHCP leases etc. It supports UPnP.
There are equivalent AP/routers from D-Link and others which should also
be suitable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
grolschie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005

"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> William Hamilton wrote:
> > I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem.

They
> > want to share the connection through the house (they have done all

the
> > cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
> >
> > I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have

never
> > used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
> > nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
> >
> > tia
> >
> > W

> I used something like this:
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=137612
> not this exact one... but anyway
>
> I just plugged the telstra clear modem into this via ethernet, it

has
> its own switch built in, so then all my other pc's plugged into this

and
> bingo, all were on the network with internet



Hey that's the ticket! What a cool device.
grol


 
Reply With Quote
 
shannon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
grolschie wrote:
> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>William Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>>I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem.

>
> They
>
>>>want to share the connection through the house (they have done all

>
> the
>
>>>cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
>>>
>>>I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have

>
> never
>
>>>used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
>>>nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
>>>
>>>tia
>>>
>>>W

>>
>>I used something like this:
>>
>>http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=137612
>>not this exact one... but anyway
>>
>>I just plugged the telstra clear modem into this via ethernet, it

>
> has
>
>>its own switch built in, so then all my other pc's plugged into this

>
> and
>
>>bingo, all were on the network with internet

>
>
>
> Hey that's the ticket! What a cool device.
> grol
>
>

DSE also rebadge it and sell it as their XH1151
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
grolschie wrote:
> "William Hamilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d3l3o5$kis$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a client who has just connected to TCL via Cable modem. They
>>want to share the connection through the house (they have done all

>
> the
>
>>cabling) but TCL say they do not support that.
>>
>>I am keen to find out how others have tackled the issue. I have

>
> never
>
>>used XBox so not sure if it needs any special setups to work. If
>>nothing special required I plonk in a simple Linux firewall box.
>>
>>tia
>>
>>W

>
>
> Yeah, nasty cable modems that don't allow NAT for multiple pcs on a
> LAN. Easy to fix though. Simple method is to get a crappy old Pentium
> 1 (<$50) or II pc and use Freesco Linux http://www.freesco.org/


Its not the modems job to do nat. That is the job of a router. I would prefer to
have 2 seperate devices doing the 2 tasks rather then an integrated solution
thats most likly lacking in some way.

> Basically it's a minimal Linux install that boots from a floppy or
> Fat32 partition and simply does routing. Boot from the floppy,
> configure. When it's all working, copy the floppy to a small harddrive
> and forget.
>
> Plug the linux box and all the RJ45 sockets into a network switch
> (<$50 for an 8 port). Plug in your computers and your X-box and play.
> You will need to figure manual IP's or DHCP into this equation.


Last time I looked, freesco had no support for upnp so would not be suitable for
xbox use, They may have sorted this out and added support for it by now however.
There is also the issue of power consumption of even a shitty PC - I would guess
that best case would be 50-60 watts, thats $6 a month in power, a dedicated
linksys or similar would use quite a bit less

> I set up a box for a client using Telstra/Paradise cable, and the box
> sat in a cupboard without a monitor. No reboots or problems for
> months. I remember that the default Freesco install didn't have cable
> modem option as default, but wasn't hard to figure out.


Usually the first and only failure I have seen on frescos is the floppydisk,
with the constant contact of the head to the disk, it sticks after some time. If
you are copying to HDD that would solve that issue however.
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2005
Richard wrote:

> Usually the first and only failure I have seen on frescos is the
> floppydisk, with the constant contact of the head to the disk, it sticks
> after some time. If you are copying to HDD that would solve that issue
> however.


I've got a HDD based freesco box doing dial-on-demand for a client
that's been running faultlessly for almost 3 years now so reliability
doesn't seem to be an issue when running off HDD.


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
William Hamilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2005
Thanks for all the input. I have suggested either the Surecom swtich or
WRT54G.

cheers

W
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless Xbox 360+Media Center PC and 2 Xbox extenders =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWVfYmFrZXJAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=?= Wireless Networking 0 02-19-2007 08:32 PM
Xbox 360+Media Center PC and 2 Xbox extenders =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWVfYmFrZXJAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=?= Wireless Networking 0 02-19-2007 08:29 PM
XBox -> PC -> Cable Modem ? Mike Walker Computer Support 4 12-31-2004 04:31 AM



Advertisments