Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Woosh Modems Questions

Woosh Modems Questions

peter

Hi

Just some questions about the woosh modems.....

Well for starters why do I have to buy my modem off them.. Cant someone
else make them..?

Also Why are there no cell phones that can pick up the woosh signal.. that
would make them great for VoIP... ?

Is there another more open method of doing what woosh does......?

I really like the priciple of woosh always on Internet ..but Is there
another way....

Cheers Peter....

Dave - Dave.net.nz

peter wrote:
> Well for starters why do I have to buy my modem off them.. Cant someone
> else make them..?

yes, but it means that they lose the ability to control the modems from
their end(potentially), much like when DSL first came out and only the
Nokia M10 and M11 models provided by Telecom were availible, even though
others would work, they wouldn't let people use them.

> Also Why are there no cell phones that can pick up the woosh signal.. that
> would make them great for VoIP... ?

no idea... but I'd imagine that Vodafone may not like that sort of thing
occuring from what essencially amounts to one of their re-sellers. I
know for instance that Woosh don't support tower handover, so it wont
work when you leave coverage from one tower to another.

> Is there another more open method of doing what woosh does......?

WIFI?

> I really like the priciple of woosh always on Internet ..but Is there
> another way....

not without spending a fair bit of cash on infrastructure.

peter

Forgive me if IM wrong but it looks like great Technology is being retarded
and controled for Profit rather then serive. Is this true ?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

peter wrote:
>>>Well for starters why do I have to buy my modem off them.. Cant someone
>>>else make them..?

>>yes, but it means that they lose the ability to control the modems from
>>their end(potentially), much like when DSL first came out and only the
>>Nokia M10 and M11 models provided by Telecom were availible, even though
>>others would work, they wouldn't let people use them.
>>

>>>Also Why are there no cell phones that can pick up the woosh signal..
>>>that would make them great for VoIP... ?

>>no idea... but I'd imagine that Vodafone may not like that sort of thing
>>occuring from what essencially amounts to one of their re-sellers. I know
>>for instance that Woosh don't support tower handover, so it wont work when
>>you leave coverage from one tower to another.
>>

>>>Is there another more open method of doing what woosh does......?

>>WIFI?
>>

>>>I really like the priciple of woosh always on Internet ..but Is there
>>>another way....

>>not without spending a fair bit of cash on infrastructure.

> Forgive me if IM wrong but it looks like great Technology is being

retarded
> and controled for Profit rather then serive. Is this true ?

ummm, well when it is emerging tech it is probably easier to limit the
variables, so they may well "unlock" it when they think they get it right.

peter

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>yes, but it means that they lose the ability to control the modems from
>>>their end(potentially), much like when DSL first came out and only the
>>>Nokia M10 and M11 models provided by Telecom were availible, even though
>>>others would work, they wouldn't let people use them.

>>>no idea... but I'd imagine that Vodafone may not like that sort of thing
>>>occuring from what essencially amounts to one of their re-sellers. I know
>>>for instance that Woosh don't support tower handover, so it wont work
>>>when you leave coverage from one tower to another.

>>>WIFI?

>>>not without spending a fair bit of cash on infrastructure.

> > Forgive me if IM wrong but it looks like great Technology is being

> retarded
> > and controled for Profit rather then serive. Is this true ?

> ummm, well when it is emerging tech it is probably easier to limit the
> variables, so they may well "unlock" it when they think they get it right.

Perhaps.. But IP addresses are IP address..... Data is Data.. and in wooshes
case I must agree with you... latency is latency..

Just imagine an always on Cellphone......And thats what woosh is .. isnt
it.. that thing on the end of my desk does look like a cellphone.. Why can I
take it with me. Voip Skype... But sadly no... $$$$$$$$$$$$$....

Richard

peter wrote:
> Forgive me if IM wrong but it looks like great Technology is being retarded
> and controled for Profit rather then serive. Is this true ?

welcome to reality

notme

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:15:58 +1200, "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Just some questions about the woosh modems.....
>Is there another more open method of doing what woosh does......?
>I really like the priciple of woosh always on Internet ..but Is there
>another way....

If you live in the Waikato/Auckland area check out Wired Country's
wireless service. It's reailers are cheaper than Woosh and the $99 set
up price is the same as the Woosh do-it-yourself modem regime, but the
Wired Country price includes a technician coming to your home with all
his test gear and spending however long it takes to install an
external parabloic-type antenna on your roof for a more reliable
signal. Woosh don't offer an external antenna, only an internal one
you hang up at the window, for an extra $60.

Finally, Woosh charges $69.95 for 10Gb at 256k, Wired Country's
retailers charge $45 for the same plan. Woosh's only advantage over
Wired Country is its modem's portability - so long as you stay within
sight of their transmitter you could take it with your laptop.

Questions about DSL modems used with Qwest ??? =?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?= Wireless Networking 5 10-23-2006 04:08 AM
Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
The REAL question about 'woosh' Evil Bastard NZ Computing 21 09-17-2003 12:23 PM
Woosh pricing! Carl Elphick NZ Computing 29 09-17-2003 07:43 AM
No word about woosh yet? tony11 NZ Computing 6 09-15-2003 07:22 AM

Advertisments