Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Central ADSL splitter

Central ADSL splitter

Sean McF

Hi guys

Am going to rewire the phone system in the house in a couple of weeks
time and figured I would put in a central ADSL splitter such as a D-Link
DSL-10SP. Anyone able to point me to a NZ retailer for the DSL-10SP or
similar? Whenever I do a search I just get the telepermitt details and
info about plug in filters etc.

Cheers,
Sean.

colinco

In article Sean McF says...
> DSL-10SP

It may have been sold for a while but probably wasn't approved so has
gone. D-Link wouldn't want to upset their arrangement with xtra .
AFAIK the only options are a Telecom installed splitter or plugin
filters.

Sean McF

What a shame for a part that seems to only cost around $30 to $40 in
Australia and the telecom fee to install is $248.

Typical.

Cheers,
Sean.

colinco wrote:
> It may have been sold for a while but probably wasn't approved so has
> gone. D-Link wouldn't want to upset their arrangement with xtra .
> AFAIK the only options are a Telecom installed splitter or plugin
> filters.

Richard

Sean McF wrote:
> What a shame for a part that seems to only cost around $30 to $40 in
> Australia and the telecom fee to install is $248.

$99 of that is the adsl being enabled, the site visit is $149, and in my opinion
its a fair charge - Try getting an electrician in to do some phone cabling and
you will see that its not really that bad

SNOman

Sean McF wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Am going to rewire the phone system in the house in a couple of weeks
> time and figured I would put in a central ADSL splitter such as a D-Link
> DSL-10SP. Anyone able to point me to a NZ retailer for the DSL-10SP or
> similar? Whenever I do a search I just get the telepermitt details and
> info about plug in filters etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Sean.

I know it doesn't help but I've always thought that self installed
filters was way better than getting a telecom filter, the reason being
that with self install filters you can move your adsl equipment easily
to another room if you have to rather than having telecom filter
hardwired to one particular outlet

Sean McF

Richard wrote:
> $99 of that is the adsl being enabled, the site visit is $149, and in my
> opinion its a fair charge - Try getting an electrician in to do some
> phone cabling and you will see that its not really that bad

True Richard, very true. I failed to take that into account.

The thing that disappoints me with this is in a previous life I was
employed by a contracted company and installed phone systems, alarm
systems and ADSL setups etc and I know how to do all this and have the
knowledge required and know just how simple it is to put in one of these
splitters. Just figured while I was redoing the home phone system
following some renovation I would take the opportunity.

Looks like I may have to get in touch with someone from my past and see
if I get one that way. But I hate doing that.

Cheers,
Sean.

Richard

Sean McF wrote:

> True Richard, very true. I failed to take that into account.
>
> The thing that disappoints me with this is in a previous life I was
> employed by a contracted company and installed phone systems, alarm
> systems and ADSL setups etc and I know how to do all this and have the
> knowledge required and know just how simple it is to put in one of these
> splitters. Just figured while I was redoing the home phone system
> following some renovation I would take the opportunity.
>
> Looks like I may have to get in touch with someone from my past and see
> if I get one that way. But I hate doing that.

Just ask a telecom tech when you see them at the side of thhe road etc. I picked
one up for $15

I still cant get a straight answer as to where the demac is off telecom.
Sometimes they say its the point of entry on the side of the house, and other
times the master socket, and the reason they gave that I cant install the
splitter myself is that its upstream of the demarc point, which as far as I am
concerned is bull.

Richard

SNOman wrote:

> I know it doesn't help but I've always thought that self installed
> filters was way better than getting a telecom filter, the reason being
> that with self install filters you can move your adsl equipment easily
> to another room if you have to rather than having telecom filter
> hardwired to one particular outlet

most self installed filters only filter one side of the balanced circuit,
leading to it becoming unbalanced if you hang a lot of cable/loads off it. The
telecom installed splitter doesnt seem to have this problem.

Besides, they usually run the ADSL signal around the house on the second or
third pair in the cabling, so you can always drop a second socket in whereever
you have one already providing your cabling isnt done in a particually weird way.

When I got telecom here to install a spliter, they swapped about 8 outlets out
for 2 wire ones, and changed the way the underground cable to the shed was
hooked up so that it had the correct phoneline on it. I dont think I could have
gotten the phone outlets for what they charged for the work.

colinco

In article Richard says...
> I still cant get a straight answer as to where the demac is off telecom.
> Sometimes they say its the point of entry on the side of the house,

Correct, you own what's inside and Telecom owns the cable back to their
network. I think they once wanted to make you responsible for the lead-
in as well but this way other companies can't re-use it

> and other
> times the master socket, and the reason they gave that I cant install the
> splitter myself is that its upstream of the demarc point, which as far as I am
> concerned is bull.

From http://www.telepermit.co.nz/Ptc103.html#sec1.2.1

"1.2.1 Network Demarcation Point
(1) The Network Demarcation Point forms the dividing line between
Telecom's ownership of the network and a customer's ownership of the
premises wiring. For most residential installations, this is the ETP,
which is mounted on the outer wall of the building. In some situations
the demarcation point may be the Telecom Network Termination (TNT).
Under current Telecom practices, the building cable connects to the
Telecom lead-in cable within the ETP.
(2) Where no ETP is fitted, the demarcation point is now regarded as the
point at which the cable enters the outer wall of the home or premises."

Daver

I'm just going todismantle a standard one which will presumably do the job
just as well.

DIY ADSL Splitter Lodi NZ Computing 4 04-07-2008 12:22 AM
Changing from BT ADSL home to ADSL business (a warning) jasee UK VOIP 57 09-26-2006 07:36 PM
Sweex ADSL Annex-A wired ADSL Router Switch Alex Clarke Computer Support 2 10-15-2005 11:34 PM
ADSL router as ATA without ADSL bit? Adam Aglionby UK VOIP 2 08-24-2005 12:07 AM
adsl pci modem, and adsl ethernet modem jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk Computer Information 8 01-18-2005 03:36 PM

Advertisments