Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slingshot spamming?

Slingshot spamming?

maz

Anyone else who uses slingshot, receiving multiple emails from Slingshot,
offerring a free ADSL modem?

I have received at least 3 emails with the same info in it, in last couple
of days, to the smae email address. I pressume it is from Slingshot. I would
consider one email acceptable, but not 3.

GET A FREE ADSL MODEM AND A FREE CONNECTION - THAT'S A SAVINGOF $198.95
If you have been thinking about upgrading from dial-up internet to
broadband, there is no better time. If you upgrade to Slingshot broadband
before 29 April you can get a FREE modem valued at $99.95 and a FREE
connection saving $99.
Whether you simply want to surf the internet faster or free up the home
phone line, Slingshot broadband hassomething to offer everyone. Slingshot
offers a range of speed options with pricing plans starting from just $39.95
per month. All plans come with email Anti-virus protection, email Spam
Filtering, free helpdesk support, a 1Gb mailbox and much more.

Matthew Poole

In article <1113370216.296684@ftpsrv1>, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>Anyone else who uses slingshot, receiving multiple emails from Slingshot,
>offerring a free ADSL modem?
>
>I have received at least 3 emails with the same info in it, in last couple
>of days, to the smae email address. I pressume it is from Slingshot. I would
>consider one email acceptable, but not 3.

*SNIP*

They're your e-mail provider, and a very cheap one at that. Their T&C
do allow them to spam you, and if it's only three e-mails then you're
doing well.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Bruce Sinclair

In article <d3k09b$acn$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole) wrote:
>In article <1113370216.296684@ftpsrv1>, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>>Anyone else who uses slingshot, receiving multiple emails from Slingshot,
>>offerring a free ADSL modem?
>>
>>I have received at least 3 emails with the same info in it, in last couple
>>of days, to the smae email address. I pressume it is from Slingshot. I would
>>consider one email acceptable, but not 3.
>>

>*SNIP*
>
>They're your e-mail provider, and a very cheap one at that. Their T&C
>do allow them to spam you, and if it's only three e-mails then you're
>doing well.

That said, tell em you don't want it

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

Alan

"maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message

> Anyone else who uses slingshot, receiving multiple emails from
> Slingshot, offerring a free ADSL modem?
>
> I have received at least 3 emails with the same info in it, in last
> couple of days, to the smae email address. I pressume it is from
> Slingshot. I would consider one email acceptable, but not 3.

Yep - exactly the same email three times so far.

Up to now they have behaved in an exemplery manner, so while three
emails (I guess two of them I would regard as spam due to
obsolescence) is not exactly bad, it does stand out due to their
previous 'perfect' record in this regard - I have *never* before
received anything I would regards as spam from them - just valid
adverts telling me about changes and additions to their service which
I regard as perfectly acceptable.

Of course, it might just be a glitch in their server, sending out
multiple copies of the same email three days running seems entirely
pointless, so I doubt the marketing guys asked for it. Three months
runnning might have some rationale, but not daily.

Alan.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <1113448765.740424@ftpsrv1>, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
(snip)
>There are plenty of cheaper low cost dial up suppliers out their now. My
>issue isn't that they sent me an adveryising email (i believe that they
>should be allowed to do that), the issue is that they have sent multiple
>emails with exactly the same message, within a couple of days, which isn't
>good. I am sure that in their T&Cs, they don't say ,' we are allowed to
>spam you' . I know you did used to work for them so you probably do have
>some loyality towards them.

So ... did you actully complain to them ? Not much point in whinging here is
there ?

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

maz

news:d3k09b$acn$(E-Mail Removed)...

In article <HJl7e.18683$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
>In article <1113448765.740424@ftpsrv1>, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>(snip)

*SNIP*
>So ... did you actully complain to them ? Not much point in whinging here is
>there ?

Absolutely no point. None of their staff read Usenet, to the best of my
knowledge.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

maz

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:HJl7e.18683$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> (snip)
> >There are plenty of cheaper low cost dial up suppliers out their now. My
> >issue isn't that they sent me an adveryising email (i believe that they
> >should be allowed to do that), the issue is that they have sent multiple
> >emails with exactly the same message, within a couple of days, which

isn't
> >good. I am sure that in their T&Cs, they don't say ,' we are allowed to
> >spam you' . I know you did used to work for them so you probably do have
> >some loyality towards them.

> So ... did you actully complain to them ? Not much point in whinging here

is
> there ?
>

> Bruce
>

> -------------------------------------
> The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who

have not got it.
> - George Bernard Shaw
> Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as

they ought to be.
> - Ambrose Bierce
>
> Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
> (if there were any)

Yeap, I did by replying to their email yesterday, but no reply, just an
automated response. They charge you per the minute if you phone them about a
problem.

Richard

maz wrote:

> There are plenty of cheaper low cost dial up suppliers out their now. My
> issue isn't that they sent me an adveryising email (i believe that they
> should be allowed to do that), the issue is that they have sent multiple
> emails with exactly the same message, within a couple of days, which isn't
> good. I am sure that in their T&Cs, they don't say ,' we are allowed to
> spam you' . I know you did used to work for them so you probably do have
> some loyality towards them.

you have an existing business relationship with them, so it isnt spam.

Also, under heading 9

9.2 You agree to us using your personal information and where
appropriate disclosing it to third parties where this is required for us to
provide you with services, for credit checking and collection and to communicate
with you about our current and future services.

So yes, they did put in there T&Cs they would email you, and no, its not spam

Quit whining.

maz

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> maz wrote:
>
> > There are plenty of cheaper low cost dial up suppliers out their now. My
> > issue isn't that they sent me an adveryising email (i believe that they
> > should be allowed to do that), the issue is that they have sent multiple
> > emails with exactly the same message, within a couple of days, which

isn't
> > good. I am sure that in their T&Cs, they don't say ,' we are allowed to
> > spam you' . I know you did used to work for them so you probably do have
> > some loyality towards them.

> you have an existing business relationship with them, so it isnt spam.
>
> Also, under heading 9
>
> 9.2 You agree to us using your personal information and where
> appropriate disclosing it to third parties where this is required for us

> provide you with services, for credit checking and collection and to

communicate
> with you about our current and future services.
>
> So yes, they did put in there T&Cs they would email you, and no, its not

spam

> Quit whining.

Multiple unsolicated emails with the same exact message is spam. If it was
just a single message, then it wouldn't be under their T&Cs, but multiple
emails, then yes. I wasn't winging, I just wanted to see if anyone else also
recieved multiple copies of the same email. I haven't received any since, so
it may have been a problem with their system sending out multiple emails. I
have contected slingshot, as to why I have recieved multiple emails, but not
surprisingly, no response.

Also got a spam email from these guys today http://fitnzhosting.com . A NZ
company sending through an Xtra server. Have also complained to xtra, but I
also doubt I will get a reply. ISPs always give users who send out
unsolicated emails, a second chance.

Slingshot sucks Jamie Kahn Genet NZ Computing 29 01-23-2011 01:42 AM
Slingshot as ISP Markus Winter NZ Computing 3 10-08-2003 09:44 PM
Slingshot as ISP? Or another flat-rate one? Markus Winter NZ Computing 2 10-05-2003 09:40 AM
Slingshot Victor Tonkin NZ Computing 0 09-08-2003 07:34 AM
Slingshot international access down? art NZ Computing 1 08-30-2003 12:43 PM

Advertisments