Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon News Server Auth Problems - latest update

Orcon News Server Auth Problems - latest update

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

Should be propagated now - just took a while to get everything sorted.

"Steven Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Any chance you can get the local news group list populated. At the
> moment you only show control groups.

Steven Ellis

Well you appear to show the news groups, but getting articles is a bit
shoddy.

Some groups are showing 20-30 articles when there should be thousands,
and yes i've cleaned out my usenet cache.

Steve

The Other Guy

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> In answer to your questions
>
> - We'll be using IHAVE to other NZ ISPs for fast, accurate propagation of
> .nz groups
> - We'll be sucking from Giganews as to take a full feed would use silly
> amounts of bandwidth and disk space for the number of customers that we
> have - that said, sucking should work just fine

Sucking is fine for getting articles, not good for sending them. You can
configure DNews to suck from giganews.com and feed articles using IHAVE.
This is much more reliable* and gives you control over the abuse headers.

newsfeeds.conf

site server.giganews.com
type dfeed
groups *
max_path 3

The max_path setting limits feeding to articles with 'max_path' items or
less in the 'path' header. This would allow you to actively help
propagate news from other NZ ISPs, without wasting excessive amounts of
bandwidth.

You can instead use 'onlyposts' which limits the feeding to only
messages posted directly to news.orcon.net.nz.

> - We're not using the header sucking mode
> - We won't be using SurgeNews

Both good to hear

> - I'm not sure what you mean by 'larger articles' as far as I am aware we
> didn't previously impose an article size limit. Perhaps problems were caused
> by an article size limit of our previous upstream provider (wasn't Giganews)
> when we were previously running our own server

The old server run by Orcon didn't have any binary (or text) posts in
excess of 100KB. You were at the time using NNTPCache from memory, and
sucking from another ISP using DNews and who probably set the limit.

The Other Guy

Nova

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> Should be propagated now - just took a while to get everything sorted.
>
> "Steven Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Any chance you can get the local news group list populated. At the
>>moment you only show control groups.

But there's something strange happening now..

I click on a new message and it appears almost instantly...

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

Err - that's a problem?
Or are you being sarcastic?

> But there's something strange happening now..
>
> I click on a new message and it appears almost instantly...

steve

Glad to hear it..

You can / will ditch all the binaries groups - of course - and that
should improve matters greatly.

It's been a frustrating year........let's hope it's over.

steve

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> Running a local server actually has some advantages to outsourcing

(e.g.
> speed for users, savings on international bandwidth), but there is a

time
> commitment in terms of configs.
> If we can't make our service work the way it should, then we'll point

> everything back to Giganews and simply purchase more ports

Maybe some cheap (or free?) help from folks who can get it working
right would be cheaper than going back to Giganews.

Pride is one of the deadly sins......and we just want a (cheap for you,
good for us) news server that works.

The Other Guy

steve wrote:
> Glad to hear it..
>
> You can / will ditch all the binaries groups - of course - and that
> should improve matters greatly.
>
> It's been a frustrating year........let's hope it's over.

From what Seeby has said, we will be keeping the binaries. Personally I
would have ditched them long ago and only had non-binary groups. A full
text-only feed is only a few GB per day, and I think that is all most of
us actually want. Individual.net which I think most people ended up
using was a text-only service.

The Other Guy

Nova

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> Err - that's a problem?
> Or are you being sarcastic?
>

>>But there's something strange happening now..
>>
>>I click on a new message and it appears almost instantly...

heh yeah, it's lightning fast.. good stuff

Steven Ellis

What groups is it fast on? Local NZ ones?

At the moment non-local groups are taking a while to propogate.

Have your placed a time cut off for what point you can grab from
Giganews as some groups won't show messages over 24 hours old.

Steve