Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon News Server Auth Problems - latest update

Orcon News Server Auth Problems - latest update

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

Hi there

Well - we (Orcon) made the change to Giganews yesterday, and everything was
going ok.

However, users are now getting intermittant authentication issues to the
Giganews server.
This is being caused because NOT because we forgot to add netblocks to the
'permit' lists, but because we are running out of news 'ports', and Giganews
then denies requests.

Although we purchased the same number of news 'ports' from Giganews as our
old provider, it appears that Giganews allows up to 10 simultaneous
connections per client, wheras our old provider only allowed one, and so the
first users that are connecting are sucking up all the allowable
connections.

We have decided that rather than simply doubling or tripling the number of
ports we purchase from Giganews we are going to go back to running our own
local news server, but that we will take our upstream feed from Giganews. So
users will still get the full 100,000+ newsgroups, and long article
retention, but also having a local server will also mean that header
download speeds etc should be as good as they can be.

We've just about completed deploying the new local news server, and we'll
move the nameserver records over to the server soon.
Unfortunately, you'll probably have to reset your newsgroup lists etc again
to avoid confusing your news client.

Really sorry about this - we are commiting to get news working right though
dammit!

Warm Regards

Seeby Woodhouse
CEO Orcon Internet

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> Really sorry about this - we are commiting to get news working right though
> dammit!

heh, sorry, just had to laugh.

"It's not economic"
"It's really not"

"We're making our own"

Steven Ellis

So how may ports will they cap each user at on their local service?

What are the odds that they simply implement a local news cache?

Steve

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

> So how may ports will they cap each user at on their local service?

As it will be our own server, we see no point to put any caps on the number
of ports per user for the local service - so basically unlimited

> What are the odds that they simply implement a local news cache?

We're going to run DNEWS like most other ISPs, and take feeds from the other
local ISPs (for speed of propagation of nz.* groups), and a feed from
Giganews for everything else

Cheers
Seeby

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

Running a local server actually has some advantages to outsourcing (e.g.
speed for users, savings on international bandwidth), but there is a time
commitment in terms of configs.
If we can't make our service work the way it should, then we'll point
everything back to Giganews and simply purchase more ports

Cheers
Seeby

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
>> Really sorry about this - we are commiting to get news working right
>> though dammit!

> heh, sorry, just had to laugh.
>
> "It's not economic"
> "It's really not"
>
> "We're making our own"

The Other Guy

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> We're going to run DNEWS like most other ISPs, and take feeds from the other
> local ISPs (for speed of propagation of nz.* groups), and a feed from
> Giganews for everything else

Seeby, could you please confirm that you will be using IHAVE feeds to
propagate news back to Giganews and between NZ ISPs?

You may recall the multi-layered sucking arrangement you had previously
caused numerous problems.

I assume you will be sucking news from Giganews?

Don't use the header sucking mode, it is unreliable and limits you to a
single upstream server. Also don't be tempted to 'upgrade' to SurgeNews
(The replacement for DNews), it still seems very unreliable.

Will you be allowing larger articles than you did previously?

Thanks,

The Other Guy

Steven Ellis

It would be great to see it work.

I see that the DNS has flipped over already, but I can't get any
articles in any of the groups.

Steve

The Other Guy

Steven Ellis wrote:
> It would be great to see it work.
>
> I see that the DNS has flipped over already, but I can't get any
> articles in any of the groups.

The server is running in sucking mode, the group must be 'cached' to
cause DNews to download the articles.

If you see no messages in your client, telnet in to the server and read
an article manually...

telnet news.orcon.net.nz 119
S: 200 news.orcon.net.nz DNEWS Version 5.7e1,, S0, posting OK
C: group alt.tv.mwc
S: 211 1 3945 3945 alt.tv.mwc selected
C: article 3945
S: 220 3945 <(E-Mail Removed)> article retrieved - head and body follows

That will cause the group to be cached and it should update the next
time DNews sucks from Giganews.

The Other Guy

Steven Ellis

Any chance you can get the local news group list populated. At the
moment you only show control groups.

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

In answer to your questions

- We'll be using IHAVE to other NZ ISPs for fast, accurate propagation of
..nz groups
- We'll be sucking from Giganews as to take a full feed would use silly
amounts of bandwidth and disk space for the number of customers that we
have - that said, sucking should work just fine
- We're not using the header sucking mode
- We won't be using SurgeNews
- I'm not sure what you mean by 'larger articles' as far as I am aware we
didn't previously impose an article size limit. Perhaps problems were caused
by an article size limit of our previous upstream provider (wasn't Giganews)
when we were previously running our own server

Cheers
Seeby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...