Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > problems with ADSL connection to iHug (Mac OS X)

problems with ADSL connection to iHug (Mac OS X)

Mark

Hello.
I have recently joined iHug bliink and I am having problems woth the
setup.
I am using Mac OS 10.3.8 and I cannot use the internet because of DNS
server problems.
The test page for the D-Link DSL 504G router/modem shows that 'PPPoE
server connectivity' has failed.
I assume that means it cannot connect to the iHug server for some reason.

Also, OS 10.3 does not have DNS "automatic configuration" option in the
network panel. The installation guide shows it does (older OS version is
my guess).

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
Mark

SNOman

This is two problems.

1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
need to check your login name and password.

2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
server's in manually.

Mark wrote:
> Hello.
> I have recently joined iHug bliink and I am having problems woth the
> setup.
> I am using Mac OS 10.3.8 and I cannot use the internet because of DNS
> server problems.
> The test page for the D-Link DSL 504G router/modem shows that 'PPPoE
> server connectivity' has failed.
> I assume that means it cannot connect to the iHug server for some reason.
>
> Also, OS 10.3 does not have DNS "automatic configuration" option in the
> network panel. The installation guide shows it does (older OS version is
> my guess).
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA
> Mark

Mark

In article <d3hlps$hc7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is two problems.
>
> 1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
> problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
> your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
> fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
> need to check your login name and password.

The ADSL light is on.
Telecom and iHug have told me the jetstream service has been activated.

This is what the test panel reports:
Testing Ethernet connection PASS
Testing ADSL Connection
Testing ADSL line for sync PASS
Testing Circuit for Network Connection
Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS
Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS
Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS
Testing PPPoE server connectivity FAIL
Testing PPPoE server session SKIPPED
Testing authentication with server SKIPPED
Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 SKIPPED
Testing Internet Connectivity
Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL
Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL
Query DNS for www.dlink.com FAIL
Ping www.dlink.com FAIL

> 2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
> server's in manually.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:40:02 +1200, Mark wrote:

> In article <d3hlps$hc7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> This is two problems.
>>
>> 1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
>> problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
>> your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
>> fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
>> need to check your login name and password.
>>

> The ADSL light is on.
> Telecom and iHug have told me the jetstream service has been activated.
>
> This is what the test panel reports:
> Testing Ethernet connection PASS
> Testing ADSL Connection
> Testing ADSL line for sync PASS
> Testing Circuit for Network Connection
> Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS
> Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS
> Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS
> Testing PPPoE server connectivity FAIL
> Testing PPPoE server session SKIPPED
> Testing authentication with server SKIPPED
> Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 SKIPPED
> Testing Internet Connectivity
> Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL
> Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL
> Query DNS for www.dlink.com FAIL
> Ping www.dlink.com FAIL
>
>> 2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
>> server's in manually.

er.. is ihug PPPoE? and not PPPoA like telecom?
(according to the following link you should be PPPoA)
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:g...ient=firefox-a
http://tinyurl.com/5mez4
it _seems_ to me that you arent logged in, perhaps because of,
incorrect VPI / VCI values orincorrect username/pass
double check the PPPoA issue though

SNOman

Mark wrote:
> In article <d3hlps$hc7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>This is two problems.
>>
>>1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
>>problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
>>your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
>>fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
>>need to check your login name and password.
>>

> The ADSL light is on.
> Telecom and iHug have told me the jetstream service has been activated.
>
> This is what the test panel reports:
> Testing Ethernet connection PASS
> Testing ADSL Connection
> Testing ADSL line for sync PASS
> Testing Circuit for Network Connection
> Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS
> Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS
> Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS
> Testing PPPoE server connectivity FAIL
> Testing PPPoE server session SKIPPED
> Testing authentication with server SKIPPED
> Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 SKIPPED
> Testing Internet Connectivity
> Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL
> Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL
> Query DNS for www.dlink.com FAIL
> Ping www.dlink.com FAIL
>

>>2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
>>server's in manually.

You may have ADSL activated on the line but you are not logged into IHUG
i.e you do not have an ip address from them, as I suggested above

As the other user suggested you should be using PPoA, VPI - 0, VCI - 100
and the correct username and password. You can still do manual DNS

Mark

In article <d3hvmo$4ii$(E-Mail Removed)>,
SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mark wrote:
> > In article <d3hlps$hc7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>This is two problems.
> >>
> >>1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
> >>problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
> >>your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
> >>fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
> >>need to check your login name and password.
> >>

> > The ADSL light is on.
> > Telecom and iHug have told me the jetstream service has been activated.
> >
> > This is what the test panel reports:
> > Testing Ethernet connection PASS
> > Testing ADSL Connection
> > Testing ADSL line for sync PASS
> > Testing Circuit for Network Connection
> > Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS
> > Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS
> > Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS
> > Testing PPPoE server connectivity FAIL
> > Testing PPPoE server session SKIPPED
> > Testing authentication with server SKIPPED
> > Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 SKIPPED
> > Testing Internet Connectivity
> > Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL
> > Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL
> > Query DNS for www.dlink.com FAIL
> > Ping www.dlink.com FAIL
> >

> >>2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
> >>server's in manually.
> >>

> You may have ADSL activated on the line but you are not logged into IHUG
> i.e you do not have an ip address from them, as I suggested above
>
> As the other user suggested you should be using PPoA, VPI - 0, VCI - 100
> and the correct username and password. You can still do manual DNS

Woo hoo!
Had the PPPoA/PPPoE setup wrong.
Now it works.
Thanks a lot you two.