Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > wireless problems.

wireless problems.

cowboyz

Setting up at my parents place I brought a ASUS AAM6030VI wireless router
and 2 ASUS PCI wireless cards.

I set everything up in the lounge room and all went well.

Then I moved one computer to the computer room which is 50m from the lounge
and lost the connection.

I was told by the sales guy the router has a 500m range but if I move the PC
to the music room which is about 30m I get the connection back again.

The only spec page I can find is here
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eries&langs=01

but it doesn't say the range of the device.

so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
increasing it?

EMB

cowboyz wrote:

> so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
> increasing it?

The material of intervening walls can make a huge difference to range.
I've got a wireless AP set up in one of my clients offices that has a
range of <25m through their internal walls. Adding an external antenna
mounted outside the front of the building gives good coverage through
the entire area (50m) so it might we worth your while repositioning the
access point. If the computer room is in a metal clad building (skyline
garage or similar) you'll need to add an external antenna to the PC
there - the metal cladding pretty much totally attenuates the signal.

That aside, at home I have a passable connection to an unsecured AP
owned by a local business that is situated 150m away using nothing more
than the inbuilt antenna on an IBM thinkpad - it's not quite LOS and
involves concrete block walls at their end and brick walls at my end -
so as usual anything seems possible.

--
EMB

cowboyz

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3hes5$3ug$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cowboyz wrote:
>
>> so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
>> increasing it?

> The material of intervening walls can make a huge difference to range.
> I've got a wireless AP set up in one of my clients offices that has a
> range of <25m through their internal walls. Adding an external antenna
> mounted outside the front of the building gives good coverage through the
> entire area (50m) so it might we worth your while repositioning the access
> point. If the computer room is in a metal clad building (skyline garage
> or similar) you'll need to add an external antenna to the PC there - the
> metal cladding pretty much totally attenuates the signal.
>
> That aside, at home I have a passable connection to an unsecured AP owned
> by a local business that is situated 150m away using nothing more than the
> inbuilt antenna on an IBM thinkpad - it's not quite LOS and involves
> concrete block walls at their end and brick walls at my end - so as usual
> anything seems possible.
>

> --
> EMB

cheers.

I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going to
have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first dealing
with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush out and do it
myself.

Rider

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3hftm$64s$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d3hes5$3ug$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> cowboyz wrote:
>>
>>> so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
>>> increasing it?

>> The material of intervening walls can make a huge difference to range.
>> I've got a wireless AP set up in one of my clients offices that has a
>> range of <25m through their internal walls. Adding an external antenna
>> mounted outside the front of the building gives good coverage through the
>> entire area (50m) so it might we worth your while repositioning the
>> access point. If the computer room is in a metal clad building (skyline
>> garage or similar) you'll need to add an external antenna to the PC
>> there - the metal cladding pretty much totally attenuates the signal.
>>
>> That aside, at home I have a passable connection to an unsecured AP owned
>> by a local business that is situated 150m away using nothing more than
>> the inbuilt antenna on an IBM thinkpad - it's not quite LOS and involves
>> concrete block walls at their end and brick walls at my end - so as usual
>> anything seems possible.
>>

>> --

>> EMB

> cheers.
>
> I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going to
> have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first
> dealing with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush out
> and do it myself.

I had similar issues with a wireless setup in an old villa here. In the end
I put on a slightly bigger antennae. For the $50 it was worth the money.
The original antennae was only 1 or 2 db, so I got a 5db antennae. I'm with
you, not that keen on doing another one.

Rider

Dave - Dave.net.nz

cowboyz wrote:
> I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going to
> have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first dealing
> with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush out and do it
> myself.

This may sound a bit off, but the guy who sold it to you mis-led you,
most of the wireless APs have 50M max range on them if using their
default settings.

Some of them(Linksys WRT54G) you can crank them up from 27mw to 251mw
and it tends to give you a considerable amount more range.

Also, adding external antenna certainly help as most put ****y little
7cm "this'll do" ones on them, when for the ranges they are advertising,
they should be putting bigger/more powerful ones on there.

Frank Sams

ASUS AAM6030VI does up 100 Meters line of site. in a house, going though
walls you should get about 30 - 40 meters.
Also depends on other interference from things like DECT Coreless Phones,
Bluetooth etc.. Anything on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Belkin PRE - N Grear gives great coverage, and would easily cover what you
want while at the same time being fully backward compatible with 802.11b and

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3he59$2q9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Setting up at my parents place I brought a ASUS AAM6030VI wireless router
> and 2 ASUS PCI wireless cards.
>
> I set everything up in the lounge room and all went well.
>
> Then I moved one computer to the computer room which is 50m from the
> lounge and lost the connection.
>
> I was told by the sales guy the router has a 500m range but if I move the
> PC to the music room which is about 30m I get the connection back again.
>
> The only spec page I can find is here
> http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eries&langs=01
>
> but it doesn't say the range of the device.
>
> so, What are the acceptable ranges and is there anything I can do about
> increasing it?

cowboyz

"Frank Sams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6dY6e.18256$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ASUS AAM6030VI does up 100 Meters line of site. in a house, going though
> walls you should get about 30 - 40 meters.
> Also depends on other interference from things like DECT Coreless Phones,
> Bluetooth etc.. Anything on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.
>
> Belkin PRE - N Grear gives great coverage, and would easily cover what you
> want while at the same time being fully backward compatible with 802.11b
> and g

cheers.

That is far short of the 500m the sales guy told me. Might have to go have
a chat.

cowboyz

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> cowboyz wrote:
>> I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going to
>> have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first
>> dealing with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush
>> out and do it myself.

> This may sound a bit off, but the guy who sold it to you mis-led you, most
> of the wireless APs have 50M max range on them if using their default
> settings.
>
> Some of them(Linksys WRT54G) you can crank them up from 27mw to 251mw and
> it tends to give you a considerable amount more range.
>
> Also, adding external antenna certainly help as most put ****y little 7cm
> "this'll do" ones on them, when for the ranges they are advertising, they
> should be putting bigger/more powerful ones on there.

advertising and salesmen are really getting up my goat just lately. even
more than usual.

I certainly feel like I have been lead up the garden path a bit but run out
of time to ring them today so that will have to be tomorrows job.
I think they should be giving me another aerial for the trouble.

Graeme Woollett

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>
>> I am a little disappointed to be honest but it looks like we are going
>> to have an acceptable workaroung to get it working. This is my first
>> dealing with wireless and to be honest it doesn't make me want to rush
>> out and do it myself.

> This may sound a bit off, but the guy who sold it to you mis-led you,
> most of the wireless APs have 50M max range on them if using their
> default settings.
>
> Some of them(Linksys WRT54G) you can crank them up from 27mw to 251mw
> and it tends to give you a considerable amount more range.
>
> Also, adding external antenna certainly help as most put ****y little
> 7cm "this'll do" ones on them, when for the ranges they are advertising,
> they should be putting bigger/more powerful ones on there.

I've got a WRT54G running DDWRT (a fork of alchemy) and have tried
hiking the power to 251mW. The range I got was no different then what it
was at 35mW. I'm puzzled. The author of DDWRT said that he doesn't use
anymore then 70mW as the noise also increases with power output. His
rig does 8km! I'd be interested to hear what other ppl have acheived
with their WRT's and with what gain antenna. As the hi gain commercial
antennas are grossly overpriced I'm going to try retro-fitting some old
sky dishes next...

Graeme

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Graeme Woollett wrote:
>> Some of them(Linksys WRT54G) you can crank them up from 27mw to 251mw
>> and it tends to give you a considerable amount more range.

> I've got a WRT54G running DDWRT (a fork of alchemy) and have tried
> hiking the power to 251mW. The range I got was no different then what it
> was at 35mW. I'm puzzled. The author of DDWRT said that he doesn't use
> anymore then 70mW as the noise also increases with power output. His
> rig does 8km! I'd be interested to hear what other ppl have acheived
> with their WRT's and with what gain antenna. As the hi gain commercial
> antennas are grossly overpriced I'm going to try retro-fitting some old
> sky dishes next...

They're not that dear, only ~$130 for a 19dB parabolic from Hills last
time I got one from there.

I have no need for the massive power output either, as I use one of
those "overpriced" commercial antennas.