Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD/DivX standalone player

DVD/DivX standalone player

abcd

Hi

I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.

Any idea about where I can find a good device?

Thanks.

Mark Cranness

"abcd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:425b94ca$(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living
> room. The device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly
> off a DVD-R (with several movies per DVD-R media in this case of
> course), not just a CD-Rs.

Philips DVP642K
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp642

(Or dvp630 which is more or less the same thing.)

Mark

grolschie

"Mark Cranness" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:425bab68$0$28396$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "abcd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:425b94ca$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living
> > room. The device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly
> > off a DVD-R (with several movies per DVD-R media in this case of
> > course), not just a CD-Rs.

> Philips DVP642K
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp642
>
> (Or dvp630 which is more or less the same thing.)
>
> Mark

I know a guy with a few of these. They floats his boat. Philips also
release firmware for it, it would seem too.
grol

Stephen Worthington

On 12 Apr 2005 11:05:13 GMT, Mark Cranness
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"abcd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:425b94ca$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living
>> room. The device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly
>> off a DVD-R (with several movies per DVD-R media in this case of
>> course), not just a CD-Rs.

>Philips DVP642K
>http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp642
>
>(Or dvp630 which is more or less the same thing.)
>
>Mark

I have a DVP-642K/75 and while it does work, it is not the best unit
in the world, but it was the only one that is readily available in New
Zealand for a reasonable price at the time. I have had a number of
problems with mine, including its first lock up requiring a power
cycle last night. I am not very impressed by it, but it is fairly
cheap.

The problem I encounter most often is that if I push the next track
button while in the middle of playing a track from a data DVD, when it
starts to play the next track it will often stop after 1 second. If
you push the system menu button twice (go into the menu and out again)
it will then play normally, or if you use the fast forward buttons
then push play.

When you go backwards in some files, you can often wind up suddenly
playing a loop of the last 1 or 2 seconds of the file. Only rarely
does going backwards work correctly for more than a few seconds. This
is on tracks from data disks - it does go backwards on authored DVDs.

It does not play DivX files that have the optional QPEL or GMC
options. The DivX spec does not require a unit to play such files,
but they are becomming more common and some chipsets do play them, or
at least the most common subset of them.

It plays Xvid files, but fast forward, backwards and "go to" do not
work at all on Xvid (they do work on DivX, sort of).

It does not play any sound from AVI files that have PCM type audio
tracks. It does play MP2, MP3 and AC3.

The first one I got, I immediately tried to update its firmware and it
crashed during the process, despite my having followed all the
instructions from the Philips web site carefully. It was replaced
under warrantee, and then I was told not to try updating the firmware
again, by the Philips helpline and by L V Martins. Not good at all,
since there are clear bugs in the firmware that might be fixed in a
later version. L V Martins did say if I could bring it in and show
them some bugs they might look at it for me, but I have not done that
yet. I need to build a test DVD to demonstrate all the problems to
them, but I have not found the time yet. I will have to before the
warantee runs out.

There is a Sony model available that plays DivX, but it only reads UDF
formatted disks and I already had over 50 ISO formatted DVDs, so I
could not use it. There might be a couple of other quite expensive
models available here (Pioneer? Yamaha? Denon?).

In Australia, there seems to be a quite nice cheap unit available,
according to the reviews of it:

http://www.zensonic.com/z330.php

It uses a better chipset than the DVP-642K/75.

And they are working on what looks like a very nice (but more
expensive) unit, but it is not available for a couple of months yet:

http://www.z500series.com

GraB

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:31:01 +1200, "abcd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
>device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
>several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
>
>Any idea about where I can find a good device?
>
>Thanks.

I use a Samsung DVD-V540 combo unit. No trouble with DivX playback.
Don't know if they are still available though.

abcd

> There is a Sony model available that plays DivX, but it only reads UDF
> formatted disks and I already had over 50 ISO formatted DVDs, so I
> could not use it. There might be a couple of other quite expensive
> models available here (Pioneer? Yamaha? Denon?).
>
> In Australia, there seems to be a quite nice cheap unit available,
> according to the reviews of it:
>

> http://www.zensonic.com/z330.php

This one uses progressive scan technology. However I do need interlaced
playback for DVD material (DVD encoded from DV footage).

Does the Samsung support interlaced material (PAL 50fps, camcorder-like) or
does it automatically turn that into progressive 25fps output?

abcd

"abcd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:425c250e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is a Sony model available that plays DivX, but it only reads UDF
>> formatted disks and I already had over 50 ISO formatted DVDs, so I
>> could not use it. There might be a couple of other quite expensive
>> models available here (Pioneer? Yamaha? Denon?).
>>
>> In Australia, there seems to be a quite nice cheap unit available,
>> according to the reviews of it:
>>

>> http://www.zensonic.com/z330.php

> This one uses progressive scan technology. However I do need interlaced
> playback for DVD material (DVD encoded from DV footage).
>
> Does the Samsung support interlaced material (PAL 50fps, camcorder-like)
> or does it automatically turn that into progressive 25fps output?

Sorry not the Samsung, I mean your Philips model.

grolschie

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >Hi
> >
> >I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room.

The
> >device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R

(with
> >several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a

CD-Rs.

> >Any idea about where I can find a good device?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> I use a Samsung DVD-V540 combo unit. No trouble with DivX playback.
> Don't know if they are still available though.

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/...03-10153-13401

Mark Cranness

"abcd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:425c254d$(E-Mail Removed):

>> This one uses progressive scan technology. However I do need
>> interlaced playback for DVD material (DVD encoded from DV
>> footage).
>>
>> Does the Samsung support interlaced material (PAL 50fps,
>> camcorder-like) or does it automatically turn that into
>> progressive 25fps output?

> Sorry not the Samsung, I mean your Philips model.

If you're asking if the Philips dvp642 supports interlaced, the
answer is yes.

It will only output progressive if the setup menu is set to output
progressive, otherwise it outputs normal interlaced.

(IIRC, the progressive output might not work with DivX anyway.)

Although I'm happy with mine, I agree with Stephen Worthington
comments.

Mark

Craig Shore

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:31:01 +1200, "abcd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
>device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
>several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
>
>Any idea about where I can find a good device?

Why not store the files on your computer and use something like this

There's another ozzie one that's wireless too, but I can't find the link at the
moment.