Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Burning to a CDR/W

Burning to a CDR/W

KiwiBrian

A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
software.
Can someone please clarify this for me?
TIA
Brian Tozer

Rob J

In article <d3ffb5$k4o$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 12 Apr 2005
15:29:42 +1200, KiwiBrian <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
> to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
> I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
> software.

If the drive comes with UDF software (e.g. InCD with Nero) then it will
provide for a CDRW to be formatted and then it works just like a big
floppy

Me

wrote:

>A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
>to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
>I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
>software.
>Can someone please clarify this for me?
>TIA
>Brian Tozer

No software requried, right click the files you wish to burn and
choose Send to CDROM...
It didnt work under my profile till I choose CDBurner rather then ROM
from an option in hardware devices...

colinco

In article KiwiBrian says...
> A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
> to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
> I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
> software.
> Can someone please clarify this for me?
> TIA
> Brian Tozer

look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details

Gordon

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:29:42 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

> A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
> to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
> I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
> software.
> Can someone please clarify this for me?
> TIA

I use RW CD's as reusable CDRs.

All this packet writing software is just not required.

Just erase the CD before rewriting to it.

CSE

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:29:42 +1200, "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
>to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
>I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
>software.
>Can someone please clarify this for me?
>TIA
>Brian Tozer

you can treat a CD-RW as a Normal CD, Note: packet writing is very
unreliable..

CSE

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:48:34 +1200, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article KiwiBrian says...
>> A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
>> to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
>> I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
>> software.
>> Can someone please clarify this for me?
>> TIA
>> Brian Tozer
>>

>look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details

And the CD drive has to support it..

Daver

Probably standard functionality, however you'll find the erase is total. All
you are doing is creating a multisession cd to which files can be added,
updated or even "erased". All thats happening is a new session is being
added and hence new directory is created. Eventually the cd fills up even if
there are not enough files to fill it.

"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3ffb5$k4o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is

able
> to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
> I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
> software.
> Can someone please clarify this for me?
> TIA
> Brian Tozer

FreedomChooser

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:05:51 +1200, CSE <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:48:34 +1200, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article KiwiBrian says...
>>> A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
>>> to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
>>> I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
>>> software.
>>> Can someone please clarify this for me?
>>> TIA
>>> Brian Tozer
>>>

>>look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details

>And the CD drive has to support it..

nothing to do with Mt Rainer
that is native support without software
if the drive comes with software that allows a UDF format it can be
used this way

CSE

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:41:46 +1200, FreedomChooser <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:05:51 +1200, CSE <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:48:34 +1200, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>In article KiwiBrian says...
>>>>

>>>look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details

>>And the CD drive has to support it..

>nothing to do with Mt Rainer
>that is native support without software
>if the drive comes with software that allows a UDF format it can be
>used this way

Mt Ranier is a DRIVE Feature..

Little you know..