Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > stability problems...

stability problems...

nova

a couple of months ago I bought a
sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card

I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
and really to use the whole machine that it is on..

the machine consists of..

Pentium 4 2.8
2 * 120 gig drives not sata
DVD burnder
cd writer/burner
flppy drive
400 watt Acbel PSU
windows xp professional

Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)

I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.
I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it
happens on more than just one game.

So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe power?

You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
running at full draw?

as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the pentium 4
which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and
theres a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....

anyway ideas on narrowing it down?

thanks

nova

nova wrote:
> a couple of months ago I bought a
> sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
>
> I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
> and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
>
> the machine consists of..
>
> Pentium 4 2.8
> 2 * 120 gig drives not sata
> DVD burnder
> cd writer/burner
> flppy drive
> 400 watt Acbel PSU
> windows xp professional
>
> Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
> sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
> Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)
>
> I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.
> I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it
> happens on more than just one game.
>
> So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe power?
>
> You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
> running at full draw?
>
> as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the pentium 4
> which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and
> theres a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....
>
> anyway ideas on narrowing it down?
>
> thanks

Oh it has a gig of memory 2*512megs in dual channel mode
and the mboard is a
ASUS p4c800-e

not sure if that is relevant, but just incase..

FreedomChooser

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:35:36 +1200, nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>a couple of months ago I bought a
>sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
>
>I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
>and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
>
>the machine consists of..
>
>Pentium 4 2.8
>2 * 120 gig drives not sata
>DVD burnder
>cd writer/burner
>flppy drive
>400 watt Acbel PSU
>windows xp professional
>
>Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
>sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
>Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)

If it bluescreens there should be an entry in the event log
Right click My COmputer click on Manage
Then read the event log to find the error

>I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.

Doesn't prove anything
I had a system memtest86'd OK, still had a RAM problem as soon as I
took out the extra Ram I had put in it stopped crashing

FreedomChooser

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:39:45 +1200, nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>nova wrote:
>> a couple of months ago I bought a
>> sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
>>
>> I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
>> and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
>>
>> the machine consists of..
>>
>> Pentium 4 2.8
>> 2 * 120 gig drives not sata
>> DVD burnder
>> cd writer/burner
>> flppy drive
>> 400 watt Acbel PSU
>> windows xp professional
>>
>> Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
>> sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
>> Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)
>>
>> I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.
>> I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it
>> happens on more than just one game.
>>
>> So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe power?
>>
>> You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
>> running at full draw?
>>
>> as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the pentium 4
>> which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and
>> theres a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....
>>
>> anyway ideas on narrowing it down?
>>
>> thanks

>Oh it has a gig of memory 2*512megs in dual channel mode
>and the mboard is a
>ASUS p4c800-e
>
>not sure if that is relevant, but just incase..

brandh of memory?

nova

FreedomChooser wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:35:36 +1200, nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>a couple of months ago I bought a
>>sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
>>
>>I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
>>and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
>>
>>the machine consists of..
>>
>>Pentium 4 2.8
>>2 * 120 gig drives not sata
>>DVD burnder
>>cd writer/burner
>>flppy drive
>>400 watt Acbel PSU
>>windows xp professional
>>
>>Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
>>sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
>>Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)

> If it bluescreens there should be an entry in the event log
> Right click My COmputer click on Manage
> Then read the event log to find the error

Error code 10000050, parameter1 e44f5934, parameter2 00000000,
parameter3 bfa6e735, parameter4 00000001.

>>I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.

> Doesn't prove anything
> I had a system memtest86'd OK, still had a RAM problem as soon as I
> took out the extra Ram I had put in it stopped crashing

the memory is twinmos and I dont think its the memory, while i say i
dont use the machine, it has been running things like seti for a few
weeks and never crashed once.

Yet when i run a 3d game within a couple of minutes boom...

Me

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:35:36 +1200, nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>a couple of months ago I bought a
>sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card

Take out all the optional hardware eg floppy, cd and DV drives...
test stabiltiy and replace items one at a time...
maybe try a basic video card...

nova

Tim wrote:
> Sounds like video RAM.
>
> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
> one?

I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which
records temperatures while you play a game..
It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
these days?

Tim

Sounds like video RAM.

Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
one?

"nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>a couple of months ago I bought a
> sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
>
> I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some games
> and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
>
> the machine consists of..
>
> Pentium 4 2.8
> 2 * 120 gig drives not sata
> DVD burnder
> cd writer/burner
> flppy drive
> 400 watt Acbel PSU
> windows xp professional
>
> Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then unfreeze..
> sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
> Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error unfortunately)
>
> I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a problem.
> I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it happens
> on more than just one game.
>
> So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe power?
>
> You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
> running at full draw?
>
> as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the pentium 4
> which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and theres
> a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....
>
> anyway ideas on narrowing it down?
>
> thanks

~misfit~

nova wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> Sounds like video RAM.
>>
>> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally
>> different one?
>>

> I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which
> records temperatures while you play a game..
> It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
> these days?

110 degrees. Very hot. That's if it's C.
--
~misfit~

James West

"nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tim wrote:
>> Sounds like video RAM.
>>
>> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
>> one?
>>

> I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which records
> temperatures while you play a game..
> It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
> these days?

sounds HOT

my 6600 Gigabyte runs at about 63 idle and 66 in game (Farcry)
some 6600 have problems with heatsink fittings if you mishandle on install
it can break the thermal bond form GPU to sink

James

Dimdows Stability & Reliabitily Fix Breaks Stability & Reliability Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 1 02-06-2010 07:35 PM
Website stability TCORDON ASP .Net 2 03-21-2005 04:53 PM
Relationship of "Requests in Application Queue" and ASP.NET application performance / stability Dominic ASP .Net 1 12-14-2004 04:37 AM
canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L : Image Stability vs. No Image Stability n Digital Photography 17 12-04-2004 06:09 AM
unicode stability nos Java 2 01-20-2004 03:49 PM

Advertisments