Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > stability problems...

stability problems...

CSE

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:02:56 +1200, "James West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tim wrote:
>>> Sounds like video RAM.
>>>
>>> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
>>> one?
>>>

>> I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which records
>> temperatures while you play a game..
>> It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
>> these days?

>sounds HOT
>
>my 6600 Gigabyte runs at about 63 idle and 66 in game (Farcry)
>some 6600 have problems with heatsink fittings if you mishandle on install
>it can break the thermal bond form GPU to sink
>
>James

So what brand is yours, as I will soon be updating mine..

May be his Fan is not running..

grolschie

"nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> a couple of months ago I bought a
> sparkle geforce 6600 GT AGP 128meg card
>
> I have only in the last few days found any spare time to play some

games
> and really to use the whole machine that it is on..
>
> the machine consists of..
>
> Pentium 4 2.8
> 2 * 120 gig drives not sata
> DVD burnder
> cd writer/burner
> flppy drive
> 400 watt Acbel PSU
> windows xp professional
>
> Now when I start playing a game, sometimes it will freeze, then

unfreeze..
> sometimes it just freezes permanently... and locks the entire OS up.
> Other times it will blue screen (i didnt catch the error

unfortunately)

> I have run memtest86 on the memory for like 6 hours and not a

problem.
> I have the latest nvidia drivers, latest patches for games but it
> happens on more than just one game.
>
> So I am thinking it's either heat..., graphics card... or maybe

power?

> You think an acbel 400 watt psu is enough for above with everything
> running at full draw?
>
> as far as heat goes, im just using the fan that came with the

pentium 4
> which seems to keep it reasonable cool. and i have 4 case fans, and
> theres a pretty nice air current moving through the machine....
>
> anyway ideas on narrowing it down?
>
> thanks

Tried different Detonators? Some are flakey.

nova

James West wrote:
> "nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Tim wrote:
>>
>>>Sounds like video RAM.
>>>
>>>Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally different
>>>one?
>>>

>>I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which records
>>temperatures while you play a game..
>>It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
>>these days?

> sounds HOT
>
> my 6600 Gigabyte runs at about 63 idle and 66 in game (Farcry)
> some 6600 have problems with heatsink fittings if you mishandle on install
> it can break the thermal bond form GPU to sink
>
> James

Yeah I spent most of the day looking around the net.. and mine is
definitely running hot.. I think it must be the heatsink fitting is off
or something... idle its 70 degrees, i ran rivatuner again while using
battlefield and the system failed, i then logged at the rivatuner logs
and the video card was reocrding temperatures of 127 celcius...

The ambient temperature in the case is just 34 degrees...
I checked the fan on the sparkle card, defintely running...

but everyone else ive seen in forums talking about gpu temps are talking
about the range you have.. so mines got crazy somewhere...

ill take it back to the shop tomorrow..

i had to re-flash the damn thing to enable the temperature sensors on
it.. stupid how some brans disable that..

thanks

Dave - Dave.net.nz

nova wrote:
>> Sounds like video RAM.

>> Can you try another either identical graphics card or a totally
>> different one?

> I could try and get my hands on one... I just ran rivatuner which
> records temperatures while you play a game..
> It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video card
> these days?

110 degrees C.

Mine starts my machine locking up when it hits 98

Dave - Dave.net.nz

nova wrote:
>>> It seemed to get up to about 110 degrees... whats hot for a video
>>> card these days?

> i had to re-flash the damn thing to enable the temperature sensors on
> it.. stupid how some brans disable that..

ever wonder why they disable it?

seems a likely reason.

Nova

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>> i had to re-flash the damn thing to enable the temperature sensors on
>> it.. stupid how some brans disable that..

> ever wonder why they disable it?
>
> seems a likely reason.

well supposedly it's to discourage overclockers.. but overclockers are
the type of people that will go the extra mile to find a hacked bios
anyway so its pointless, all it does is prevents people from checking if
the card is running at a healty temperature..

If I hadn't found how to enable it in the bios, i wouldnt have had a
clue that the problems were due to heat.. Theres a reason why nvidia
put the temperature sensors there in the first place..

well thats my 2 cents..

Dimdows Stability & Reliabitily Fix Breaks Stability & Reliability Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 1 02-06-2010 07:35 PM
Website stability TCORDON ASP .Net 2 03-21-2005 04:53 PM
Relationship of "Requests in Application Queue" and ASP.NET application performance / stability Dominic ASP .Net 1 12-14-2004 04:37 AM
canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L : Image Stability vs. No Image Stability n Digital Photography 17 12-04-2004 06:09 AM
unicode stability nos Java 2 01-20-2004 03:49 PM

Advertisments