Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon News Server Change

Orcon News Server Change

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

- Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -

For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News service
to newsfeeds.com.
However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a result of
customer feedback we decided to research alternate providers.

A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider (Giganews
is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more articles than any
other provider). Although the Giganews service will cost us considerably
more, if they are as good as we hope they are, the additonal cost will be
worth it.

Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).

In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward Giganews,
so customers using the newfeed service will need to remember to remove and
re-add the server to ensure that their newsreaders don't get confused by
different article IDs etc.

Warm Regards
Seeby Woodhouse

CEO Orcon Internet

Mike_P

"Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>- Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -
>
> For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News
> service to newsfeeds.com.
> However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a result of
> customer feedback we decided to research alternate providers.
>
> A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider (Giganews
> is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more articles than
> any other provider). Although the Giganews service will cost us
> considerably more, if they are as good as we hope they are, the additonal
> cost will be worth it.
>
> Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
> news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).
>
> In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward
> Giganews, so customers using the newfeed service will need to remember to
> remove and re-add the server to ensure that their newsreaders don't get
> confused by different article IDs etc.
>
> Warm Regards
> Seeby Woodhouse
>
> CEO Orcon Internet

Thanks Seeby... how about the bandwidth to use it too !

Mike_P

~misfit~

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> - Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -
>
> For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News
> service to newsfeeds.com.
> However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a
> result of customer feedback we decided to research alternate
> providers.
>
> A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider
> (Giganews is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more
> articles than any other provider). Although the Giganews service will
> cost us considerably more, if they are as good as we hope they are,
> the additonal cost will be worth it.
>
> Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
> news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).
>
> In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward
> Giganews, so customers using the newfeed service will need to
> remember to remove and re-add the server to ensure that their
> newsreaders don't get confused by different article IDs etc.

Thanks Seeby, I'll give it a try. I gave up on newsfeeds.com a while ago.
--
~misfit~

Pacific Dragon

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:52:28 +1200, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

> - Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -

Thank you Seeby and Orcon for organising this.

I'll hold off the planned waka jumping to Inspire.

Collector»NZ

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet said the following on 11/04/2005 6:52 p.m.:
> - Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -
>
> For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News service
> to newsfeeds.com.
> However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a result of
> customer feedback we decided to research alternate providers.
>
> A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider (Giganews
> is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more articles than any
> other provider). Although the Giganews service will cost us considerably
> more, if they are as good as we hope they are, the additonal cost will be
> worth it.
>
> Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
> news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).
>
> In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward Giganews,
> so customers using the newfeed service will need to remember to remove and
> re-add the server to ensure that their newsreaders don't get confused by
> different article IDs etc.
>
> Warm Regards
> Seeby Woodhouse
>
> CEO Orcon Internet

Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

Pacific Dragon

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:53:51 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

> Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
> is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

For me, the speed of Giganews (news2.orcon.net.nz) *appears* to be
reasonable. Headers download at around 20-30k, but bear in mind that I am
using the Telecom Jetstream 256k service and not Orcon UBS. I'm not sure
if you are on UBS, but apparently Orcon are rate limiting non 80/http ports
which includes nntp.

Collector»NZ

Pacific Dragon said the following on 11/04/2005 9:46 p.m.:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:53:51 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
>
>>Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
>>is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

> For me, the speed of Giganews (news2.orcon.net.nz) *appears* to be
> reasonable. Headers download at around 20-30k, but bear in mind that I am
> using the Telecom Jetstream 256k service and not Orcon UBS. I'm not sure
> if you are on UBS, but apparently Orcon are rate limiting non 80/http ports
> which includes nntp.

Rate limiting has not been the case for me with Orcon, I usually get the
max my dial up line can support

Mutlley

Pacific Dragon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:53:51 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
>>
>> Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
>> is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

>For me, the speed of Giganews (news2.orcon.net.nz) *appears* to be
>reasonable. Headers download at around 20-30k, but bear in mind that I am
>using the Telecom Jetstream 256k service and not Orcon UBS. I'm not sure
>if you are on UBS, but apparently Orcon are rate limiting non 80/http ports
>which includes nntp.

Tried news2 last nite but could not download headers. It just
connected and gave a message "Help 100" OK will wait until it comes
on line with news.orcon.net.nz

-=rjh=-

Mutlley wrote:
> Pacific Dragon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:53:51 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
>>
>>>Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
>>>is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

>>For me, the speed of Giganews (news2.orcon.net.nz) *appears* to be
>>reasonable. Headers download at around 20-30k, but bear in mind that I am
>>using the Telecom Jetstream 256k service and not Orcon UBS. I'm not sure
>>if you are on UBS, but apparently Orcon are rate limiting non 80/http ports
>>which includes nntp.

> Tried news2 last nite but could not download headers. It just
> connected and gave a message "Help 100" OK will wait until it comes
> on line with news.orcon.net.nz

Worked fine yesterday afternoon on UBS - I was able to download the
newsgroup list at a screaming 2.5kbs however in normal use
with text newsgroups only, it seems fast enough.

Steven Ellis

Well I have finally managed to sync headers on a group, but at an
average speed of 5K rather than the 25-30K I should be getting on 256K
UBS.

Downloading with multiple (4) connections means I've managed to break
15K, but that isn't constant.

So do you still have have internation peering issues then as this is
shocking.

Steve