Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > mysql

mysql

Shane (aka froggy)

okely dokely
I have borked something in MySQL
using phpmyadmin I assigned a password to something, and now I cant log
back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI
with this in mind, how do I 'undo' my cock-up
1) find the user/ pass and unset it ( if so how)
2) clear all passwords/ data on the DB and start afresh,
3) delete current MySQL install, and reinstall

the winner of todays quiz will get an all expenses paid trip to .. ummmm

Chris Hope

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> okely dokely
> I have borked something in MySQL
> using phpmyadmin I assigned a password to something, and now I cant
> log back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI
> with this in mind, how do I 'undo' my cock-up
> 1) find the user/ pass and unset it ( if so how)
> 2) clear all passwords/ data on the DB and start afresh,
> 3) delete current MySQL install, and reinstall
>
> the winner of todays quiz will get an all expenses paid trip to ..
> ummmm

If you've changed the mysql password via phpMyAdmin you need change the
password in the configuration file to the new password. The file is
called "config.inc.php"

You'll find a section in there like this:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = FALSE;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';

Change the 'user' and 'password' values to a valid mysql user and
password.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:41:06 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>
>> okely dokely
>> I have borked something in MySQL
>> using phpmyadmin I assigned a password to something, and now I cant
>> log back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI
>> with this in mind, how do I 'undo' my cock-up
>> 1) find the user/ pass and unset it ( if so how)
>> 2) clear all passwords/ data on the DB and start afresh,
>> 3) delete current MySQL install, and reinstall
>>
>> the winner of todays quiz will get an all expenses paid trip to ..
>> ummmm

> If you've changed the mysql password via phpMyAdmin you need change the
> password in the configuration file to the new password. The file is
> called "config.inc.php"
>
> You'll find a section in there like this:
>
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = FALSE;
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = '';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = '';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
>
> Change the 'user' and 'password' values to a valid mysql user and
> password.

er.. its kinda worse than that..
you know how new toy syndrome is.. I was flicking through some of
phpmyadmins pages looking at things, came across an entry for root to
login without a password, changed it to have a password,
one thing about this entry, it didnt list an ip, just the machines name
when I try to login via phpmyadmin, theres no error, just flicks me back
to the login page,
big woops

Steve

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:46:14 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:41:06 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
>
>> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>>
>>> okely dokely
>>> I have borked something in MySQL
>>> using phpmyadmin I assigned a password to something, and now I cant log
>>> back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI with this
>>> in mind, how do I 'undo' my cock-up 1) find the user/ pass and unset it
>>> ( if so how) 2) clear all passwords/ data on the DB and start afresh,
>>> 3) delete current MySQL install, and reinstall
>>>
>>> the winner of todays quiz will get an all expenses paid trip to ..
>>> ummmm

>> If you've changed the mysql password via phpMyAdmin you need change the
>> password in the configuration file to the new password. The file is
>> called "config.inc.php"
>>
>> You'll find a section in there like this:
>>
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = ''; $cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket']
>> = ''; $cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = FALSE;
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = '';
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = '';
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
>> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
>>
>> Change the 'user' and 'password' values to a valid mysql user and
>> password.

> er.. its kinda worse than that..
> you know how new toy syndrome is.. I was flicking through some of
> phpmyadmins pages looking at things, came across an entry for root to
> login without a password, changed it to have a password, one thing about
> this entry, it didnt list an ip, just the machines name when I try to
> login via phpmyadmin, theres no error, just flicks me back to the login
> page,
> big woops

try mysql -u root -p

Shane (aka froggy)

> try mysql -u root -p

heh.. i had no probs with CLI, just phpmyadmin (as per my OP)
I have just this minute fix0red it
complete fresh install, from scratch, and it came right,
couple of things I didnt have right the first time(s) round, my
sources.list didnt include non-us sources (handicapped myself from the
get-go)
FQDN was borked as well
have made myself a set of notes as I went along ( a habit I should have
developed _long_ ago )
Thanks ALL that helped

Steve

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:29:29 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

>> try mysql -u root -p

> heh.. i had no probs with CLI, just phpmyadmin (as per my OP) I have just
> this minute fix0red it
> complete fresh install, from scratch, and it came right, couple of things
> I didnt have right the first time(s) round, my sources.list didnt include
> non-us sources (handicapped myself from the get-go)
> FQDN was borked as well
> have made myself a set of notes as I went along ( a habit I should have
> developed _long_ ago )
> Thanks ALL that helped

You'll get a lot further when you drop the M$ mindset and actually try and
fix the problem instead.

Steve

Shane (aka froggy)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:07:11 +1200, Steve wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:29:29 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>

>>> try mysql -u root -p

>> heh.. i had no probs with CLI, just phpmyadmin (as per my OP) I have just
>> this minute fix0red it
>> complete fresh install, from scratch, and it came right, couple of things
>> I didnt have right the first time(s) round, my sources.list didnt include
>> non-us sources (handicapped myself from the get-go)
>> FQDN was borked as well
>> have made myself a set of notes as I went along ( a habit I should have
>> developed _long_ ago )
>> Thanks ALL that helped

> You'll get a lot further when you drop the M$ mindset and actually try and
> fix the problem instead.
>
> Steve

ta, but i'll get further still if I learn what it should be running like
rather than chasing my tail for days not knowing what ive done wrong, or
where to look for possible probs, or having things compounded by errors
that Im not even aware im making

Steve

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:10:21 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

>>> heh.. i had no probs with CLI, just phpmyadmin (as per my OP) I have
>>> just this minute fix0red it
>>> complete fresh install, from scratch, and it came right, couple of
>>> things I didnt have right the first time(s) round, my sources.list
>>> didnt include non-us sources (handicapped myself from the get-go) FQDN
>>> was borked as well
>>> have made myself a set of notes as I went along ( a habit I should have
>>> developed _long_ ago )
>>> Thanks ALL that helped

>> You'll get a lot further when you drop the M$ mindset and actually try
>> and fix the problem instead.
>>
>> Steve

> ta, but i'll get further still if I learn what it should be running like
> rather than chasing my tail for days not knowing what ive done wrong, or
> where to look for possible probs, or having things compounded by errors
> that Im not even aware im making

I'm not quite with you there... what is phpmyadmin going to *teach* you?
You'll learn absolutely nothing using this package.

And no, I'm not knocking phpmyadmin, I think it's great. You just won't
learn a blind thing about rdbmses, good admin practices, or any dba
concepts from using it.

If you'd googled, then you might have come across the potential problems
with multiple password formats that was probably at the root (ha ha) of
your problem. But the M$ solution taught you nothing.

Steve

Shane (aka froggy)

> Steve

ok..
first thing it taught me was how to read
from my first post

I assigned a password to something, and now I cant log
back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI

your answer

try mysql -u root -p

note how I say quite clearly I am having _NO_ problems logging in with CLI
and your answer is to try logging in with CLI.....
secondly, with phpmyadmin I can read how the 'command' I just made would
look on a CLI, and you can bet I'm taking notice.
thirdly, in case it escaped your attention, installing the mailserver on
debian using postfix, courier, and mysql, means I am already learning on 4
fronts
Debian and its packaging system
Postfix and its conf. files
Ditto for courier
and MySQL
none of which I have any previous experience with.

in the case of restarting from scratch, there is such a thing as cutting
your losses, and after a week to ten days of digging a bigger hole I
_think_ I made the right decision