Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: VOIP providors, sipserve, italk, any others?

Re: VOIP providors, sipserve, italk, any others?

AD.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:05:43 -0700, bitsyboffin wrote:

> So, any other options? Or is that the full extent of the VOIP market in
> New Zealand?

There are other options, but I doubt they are in your league in terms of
price.

At work we use Commverge (part of Callplus I think) over Citylink with
rented Cisco SIP phones talking to a Broadsoft backend. It's effectively
like an ASP for phone systems ie PBX type stuff. They used to use Cisco
Call Manager as a backend, but it was pretty flakey. When they upgraded to
Broadsoft it got a whole lot better.

When we shifted offices we needed a PBX, but this turned out a bit cheaper
once you wanted some extra PBX features.

I understand they now support other cheaper brands of SIP phones, which
should make it a bit cheaper.

--
Cheers
Anton

AD.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:46:32 -0700, bitsyboffin wrote:

> I'll be running Asterisk as a PBX locally, I only need a straight SIP (or
> IAX) connection, no PBX features. I can't see an offering like that on
> commverge's site.

Yeah I know, I was just offering it up another data point in the 'extent
of the VoIP market'. I didn't mention them earlier because they didn't
seem like what you were after.

They seem a little too 'telco' to offer end points for Asterix users,
after all that would be too much like the way Citylink does things

You might have guessed I prefer Citylink style network suppliers than
telco style ones.

--
Cheers
Anton