Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > File hosting, who has the best deals?

File hosting, who has the best deals?

KaTnDaHaT

Hey guys.

I want to host some family real video files for my website, have looked around
a number of places like xdrive.com etc but they dont provide an easy url link
to cut and paste. Have tried a few FTP storage sites and they are too slow.
Dont want to pay that much and want to store up to 100megs. Any suggestions,
anybody using a service they rate that provides a simple URL to add to my web
site? Yes id store it with IHUG but they are out of date on their pricing and I
have to pay like everybody else these days .

Tim.

EMB

KaTnDaHaT wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> I want to host some family real video files for my website, have looked around
> a number of places like xdrive.com etc but they dont provide an easy url link
> to cut and paste. Have tried a few FTP storage sites and they are too slow.
> Dont want to pay that much and want to store up to 100megs. Any suggestions,
> anybody using a service they rate that provides a simple URL to add to my web
> site? Yes id store it with IHUG but they are out of date on their pricing and I
> have to pay like everybody else these days .

What about signing up with a hosting plan with someone like
kiwihosting.net $70 odd per year will get you 200MB space and 4GB/month
traffic - and they support sites without a domain name. I'm using them
for a couple of sites and they seem to be ok.

--
EMB

Dave - Dave.net.nz

EMB wrote:
> What about signing up with a hosting plan with someone like
> kiwihosting.net $70 odd per year will get you 200MB space and 4GB/month
> traffic - and they support sites without a domain name. I'm using them
> for a couple of sites and they seem to be ok.

Im surprised that there are so many with limits still, especially when
I'd imagine that most kiwi sites would have mostly kiwi traffic, and so
"free", well, a lot cheaper.

mine costs me $20 a month, and I use ~10Gbyte/month, and I have
unlimited traffic and ~unlimited space...
by ~unlimited I mean I officially have 1Gbyte, but it is not a hard
limit, and I often(read: always) am over that limit.

maz

They use US servers. You would be far better to look for a NZ hosted option,
where download speeds and response times are quicker.

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d34hpn$q78$(E-Mail Removed)...
> KaTnDaHaT wrote:
> > Hey guys.
> >
> > I want to host some family real video files for my website, have looked

around
> > a number of places like xdrive.com etc but they dont provide an easy url

link
> > to cut and paste. Have tried a few FTP storage sites and they are too

slow.
> > Dont want to pay that much and want to store up to 100megs. Any

suggestions,
> > anybody using a service they rate that provides a simple URL to add to

my web
> > site? Yes id store it with IHUG but they are out of date on their

pricing and I
> > have to pay like everybody else these days .

> What about signing up with a hosting plan with someone like
> kiwihosting.net $70 odd per year will get you 200MB space and 4GB/month
> traffic - and they support sites without a domain name. I'm using them
> for a couple of sites and they seem to be ok.
>

> --
> EMB

EMB

maz wrote:
> They use US servers. You would be far better to look for a NZ hosted option,
> where download speeds and response times are quicker.

I'll agree that US based servers aren't the greatest for a local
audience but with de-peering half the local servers are routed via the
US anyway. Also if the intended audience is global it's probably not an
issue.

And cheap definitely seemed to be one of the criteria - can you find
200MB of locally based hosting for $70/annum anywhere? If you can I'd
be very interested to know about it.

--
EMB

EMB

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> mine costs me $20 a month, and I use ~10Gbyte/month, and I have
> unlimited traffic and ~unlimited space...
> by ~unlimited I mean I officially have 1Gbyte, but it is not a hard
> limit, and I often(read: always) am over that limit.

Will your hosting provider do this for a wider audience?

--
EMB

Nicholas Sherlock

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> mine costs me $20 a month, and I use ~10Gbyte/month, and I have
> unlimited traffic and ~unlimited space...

Wow, is that with what used to be Scarfies.net (Can't remember the
current name)? Do they have PHP and MySQL by any chance?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

maz

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d34t3p$ftq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> maz wrote:
> > They use US servers. You would be far better to look for a NZ hosted

option,
> > where download speeds and response times are quicker.

> I'll agree that US based servers aren't the greatest for a local
> audience but with de-peering half the local servers are routed via the
> US anyway. Also if the intended audience is global it's probably not an
> issue.
>
> And cheap definitely seemed to be one of the criteria - can you find
> 200MB of locally based hosting for $70/annum anywhere? If you can I'd
> be very interested to know about it.
>

> --
> EMB

If you are looking for cheap, you would be better to signup to hosting via a
US company, as there are hundreds if not thousands of comapnies over there
that charge a lot less, for exactly the same US based hosting.

E. Scrooge

"KaTnDaHaT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d34fra$m05$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys.
>
> I want to host some family real video files for my website, have looked

around
> a number of places like xdrive.com etc but they dont provide an easy url

link
> to cut and paste. Have tried a few FTP storage sites and they are too

slow.
> Dont want to pay that much and want to store up to 100megs. Any

suggestions,
> anybody using a service they rate that provides a simple URL to add to my

web
> site? Yes id store it with IHUG but they are out of date on their pricing

and I
> have to pay like everybody else these days .
>

> Tim.

You should've paid yourself more when you had the chance.

E. Scrooge

Enkidu

KaTnDaHaT wrote:

> Yes id store it with IHUG but they are out of date
> on their pricing and I have to pay like everybody
> else these days .

Ooo, bugger, that's not nice, eh?

Cheers,

Cliff