Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sound Cards?

Sound Cards?

Peter Huebner

I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.

So I am thinking maybe a soundcard, since lots of fiddling with the
NVidia drivers has yielded little improvement.

A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
really like to have two of those ...

Or if somebody has something to say about movie playback and sound, I'd
be more than willing to listen

cheers, -Peter

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Peter Huebner wrote:
> A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
> know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
> really like to have two of those ...

yep, three IIRC(one digital and two analog)

Invisible

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:35:21 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Peter Huebner wrote:
>> A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
>> know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
>> really like to have two of those ...

>yep, three IIRC(one digital and two analog)

I just got a SB Live 24bit to replace my dead older SB Live, and there's no
digital

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Invisible wrote:
>>>A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
>>>know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
>>>really like to have two of those ...

>>yep, three IIRC(one digital and two analog)

> I just got a SB Live 24bit to replace my dead older SB Live, and there's no
> digital

*gasp*, looks like Im keeping my older live then.

Windows User

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 03:32:21 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
>sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
>fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.

Are you using a sound cable from the drive to the soundcard or the
digital sound feature of Windows (assuming you are using Windows)

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 03:32:21 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
> >sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
> >fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.

> Are you using a sound cable from the drive to the soundcard or the
> digital sound feature of Windows (assuming you are using Windows)

Using a cable from the DVD drive to the aux input on the mobo at the
moment.

-P.

E. Scrooge

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .co.nz...

> I have a wee problem: the onboard sound of my NVidia chipset motherboard
> sounds like absolute crap when playing DVDs. CD, mp3, games are all
> fine, but DVD movies are a PITA to try and listen to.
>
> So I am thinking maybe a soundcard, since lots of fiddling with the
> NVidia drivers has yielded little improvement.
>
> A Soundblaster Live! or some such is probably all I need. Does anybody
> know if these still come with onboard CD/DVD drive connectors? I'd
> really like to have two of those ...
>
> Or if somebody has something to say about movie playback and sound, I'd
> be more than willing to listen
>

> cheers, -Peter

If the general sounds are crap then go for a good sound card. If it's the
voices in the DVD movies then either don't bother or go with a sound card
and a 5 speaker system.
If other things sound okay then blame the DVD movies for lower sound from
the voices compared to everything else.
You're going to need good speakers.

E. Scrooge

Peter Huebner

In article <1112912233.383737@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
> If the general sounds are crap then go for a good sound card. If it's the
> voices in the DVD movies then either don't bother or go with a sound card
> and a 5 speaker system.

Ok, can you explain this a bit further? Bad voices in DVD movies is
**exactly** what the problem is, as I already stated, every thing else
sounds just fine.

So why the 'either don't bother or get a 5 speaker system'? (Matter of
fact, I will be using headphones a lot, since I mostly watch late at
night when everyone else is asleep in the house).

cheers, -P.

BILL

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:34:03 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <1112912233.383737@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
>> If the general sounds are crap then go for a good sound card. If it's the
>> voices in the DVD movies then either don't bother or go with a sound card
>> and a 5 speaker system.

>Ok, can you explain this a bit further? Bad voices in DVD movies is
>**exactly** what the problem is, as I already stated, every thing else
>sounds just fine.
>
>So why the 'either don't bother or get a 5 speaker system'? (Matter of
>fact, I will be using headphones a lot, since I mostly watch late at
>night when everyone else is asleep in the house).
>
>cheers, -P.

Is your DVD Player using DMA..?

And hardware acceleration in the Video card..

If not the CPU ends up doing all the work and leaves very little for the
onboard sound..

A SBlive will help as it does not use the CPU as much on board sound does..

EMB

Peter Huebner wrote:

> Ok, can you explain this a bit further? Bad voices in DVD movies is
> **exactly** what the problem is, as I already stated, every thing else
> sounds just fine.
>
> So why the 'either don't bother or get a 5 speaker system'? (Matter of
> fact, I will be using headphones a lot, since I mostly watch late at
> night when everyone else is asleep in the house).

Voices are normally spread across all 5 channels - the stereo output
from a DVD doesn't seem to combine all the channels properly leading to
a loss of volume on sounds that are spread across all the channels - the
easiest solution is to go for a full 5 channel system although in your
case this isn't really practical. Maybe someone else here has found a
decent solution to this.

--
EMB