Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Are you rready for April 12th?

Re: Are you rready for April 12th?

steve

shannon wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
>> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.
>>
>> Dial-up users will no doubt be overjoyed......

> Not unless you have automatic updates turned on.
> Its an option that you can set in you control panel

If it's already on - fine.

BUT -> If you have not already done the update, you can no longer say
you don't want it.

It will happen regardless. That is what the article is saying.

shannon

steve wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
>>> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.
>>>
>>> Dial-up users will no doubt be overjoyed......

>> Not unless you have automatic updates turned on.
>> Its an option that you can set in you control panel

> If it's already on - fine.
>
> BUT -> If you have not already done the update, you can no longer say
> you don't want it.
>
> It will happen regardless. That is what the article is saying.

The article is wrong then, or you have either misread or misrepresented it
Brett Roberts posted a link here two days ago with the correct information
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../sp2aumng.mspx

Its about the expiry of a corporate registry key tool which home users
here are unlikely to be using.
The registry key tool was for enterprises to disable SP2 being delivered
via WU or AU regardless of AU being switched on.
If you have AU switched off, then you will still be able to choose your
updates selectively manually from Windows Update.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

shannon wrote:

>>> Not unless you have automatic updates turned on.
>>> Its an option that you can set in you control panel

>> If it's already on - fine.
>> BUT -> If you have not already done the update, you can no longer say
>> you don't want it.
>> It will happen regardless. That is what the article is saying.

> The article is wrong then, or you have either misread or misrepresented it
> Brett Roberts posted a link here two days ago with the correct information
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../sp2aumng.mspx

Im glad that Im not the only one who actually knows this, I was
beginning to think that I was.

Windows User

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:29:52 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>shannon wrote:
>> steve wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
>>> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.
>>>
>>> Dial-up users will no doubt be overjoyed......

>> Not unless you have automatic updates turned on.
>> Its an option that you can set in you control panel

>If it's already on - fine.
>
>BUT -> If you have not already done the update, you can no longer say
>you don't want it.
>
>It will happen regardless. That is what the article is saying.

*******s

It's just a tool that blocks it from being downloaded if you have
automatic updates turned on

If you turn auto updates off you will get no updates period