Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > R U Ready for April 12th?

R U Ready for April 12th?

steve

Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

Push Is Coming to Shove for XP SP2 Deployment
By John Pallatto
April 6, 2005

Affecting all the XP users who have been avoiding or procrastinating
about installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade, Microsoft is
about to make the decision for them.

On April 12, Microsoft Corp. is scheduled to turn on its Automatic
Update service, which will deploy the XP Service Pack 2 to all PCs
connected to the Internet regardless of whether corporate IT departments
or individual PC users have prepared for it.

SP2, developed to fix critical security holes and deploy performance
enhancements, was originally released in September 2004. But in response
to customer complaints, Microsoft suspended the automatic deployment for
eight months to give users time to prepare for the upgrade.

With the upgrade deadline looming, one study shows that the vast
majority of companies running XP have actively avoided the upgrade or
simply ignored the problem.

The study, by AssetMetrix Research Labs of Ottawa, Canada, showed that
only 24 percent of Windows XP PCs have been upgraded to SP2.

"This whole thing reminds of the those days back in college when you
asked for a two-week extension on the due date for a midterm paper,"
said Steve O'Halloran, managing director of AssetMetrix Research Labs.
"But the weekend before the paper is finally due, you still haven't done
any work," he said.

The AssetMetrix study of 136,000 PCs at 251 North American corporations
showed that only 7 percent of the companies studied have actively
accepted and deployed the upgrade.

Of the remainder, 52 percent hadn't established any policy or plans for
the SP2 upgrade, and 40 percent were actively avoiding it.

.................rest is on the web site.....

thing

steve wrote:
> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
> your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
action several million times I wonder?

This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
shortly afterwards....

regards

Thing

BILL

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:20:48 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>steve wrote:
>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
>> your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

>I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
>action several million times I wonder?
>
>This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
>litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
>shortly afterwards....
>
>regards
>
>Thing

Things break because they are Wrong..

Most of the SP2 Problems are all hype..

THEIR WILL BE NO CLASS ACTION..

steve

thing wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
>> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

> I wonder if they are really ready for the backlash.....can we say class
> action several million times I wonder?

Nah....the EULA users agreed to gives them carte blanche to mess with
their net-connected PCs.

This is why I refused to accept WinXP SP1....and put my (then) only
WinXP system onto Linux.

I've since re-installed it on my daughter's PC.....and spent a fair bit
time securing her WinXP SP1 system via registry tweaks.....but looks
like she is about to return to Linux....

Windows is too hard to maintain if I'm going to be driven by Microsoft's
schedule rather than my own.

> This is going to break a lot of PCs, I cannot see how, given the
> litigous nature of the USA that there will not be a class action(s)
> shortly afterwards....

We'll see. Problem is, most users who have SP1 already installed have
agreed to this already (perhaps without thinking it though)....or they
wouldn't have SP1 installed.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
> your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

if, you have automatic updates turned on, which if you have, you are
most likely to be proactive with updates, in which case you'll probably
already have it(SP2) installed because you know it is good.

Tim

We? I have never seen "we" used in the singular before.

Invisible

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:12:30 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
>your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

Way to blow some companies usage for the month.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Invisible wrote:
>>Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
>>your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

> Way to blow some companies usage for the month.

they should configure their pcs correctly then... consider it the same
as if they had a virus/worm... their PCs, their responsibility. not to
mention their choice of internet plan.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:41:00 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Invisible wrote:
>>>Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
>>>your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

>> Way to blow some companies usage for the month.

> they should configure their pcs correctly then... consider it the same
> as if they had a virus/worm... their PCs, their responsibility. not to
> mention their choice of internet plan.

heh.. we are going to find out in a little under a week how many lazy
sys-admins there are floating about

Windows User

wrote:

>Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and if
>your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.

Unless you block Windows update

>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1783476,00.asp
>
>Push Is Coming to Shove for XP SP2 Deployment
>By John Pallatto
>April 6, 2005
>
>Affecting all the XP users who have been avoiding or procrastinating
>about installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade, Microsoft is
>about to make the decision for them.
>
>On April 12, Microsoft Corp. is scheduled to turn on its Automatic
>Update service, which will deploy the XP Service Pack 2 to all PCs
>connected to the Internet regardless of whether corporate IT departments
>or individual PC users have prepared for it.
>
>SP2, developed to fix critical security holes and deploy performance
>enhancements, was originally released in September 2004. But in response
>to customer complaints, Microsoft suspended the automatic deployment for
>eight months to give users time to prepare for the upgrade.
>
>With the upgrade deadline looming, one study shows that the vast
>majority of companies running XP have actively avoided the upgrade or
>simply ignored the problem.
>
>The study, by AssetMetrix Research Labs of Ottawa, Canada, showed that
>only 24 percent of Windows XP PCs have been upgraded to SP2.
>
>"This whole thing reminds of the those days back in college when you
>asked for a two-week extension on the due date for a midterm paper,"
>said Steve O'Halloran, managing director of AssetMetrix Research Labs.
>"But the weekend before the paper is finally due, you still haven't done
>any work," he said.
>
>The AssetMetrix study of 136,000 PCs at 251 North American corporations
>showed that only 7 percent of the companies studied have actively
>accepted and deployed the upgrade.
>
>Of the remainder, 52 percent hadn't established any policy or plans for
>the SP2 upgrade, and 40 percent were actively avoiding it.

At the moment updates are only available to SP1
This will soon change to SP2 only

Why the big deal
Every PC I installed SP2 on had no problems at all
Some of those PCs were 4 years old