Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > packages.debian.org

packages.debian.org

Shane (aka froggy)

grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
(note the subtle.. How do I do this)

shannon

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:32:18 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

Try http://www.au.debian.org/distrib/packages

Shane (aka froggy)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:58:03 +1200, shannon wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:32:18 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>
>> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
>> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
>> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

> Try http://www.au.debian.org/distrib/packages

ew.. australian!
I just this minute had used the cached page on google..
but er.. what I was fishing for was, is there a way to view package lists
with out the webpage?
ie very often if I dont use a full name of a package all I get is a not
about it being listed as a dependency in other packages, with no idea of
the packages correct name

Enkidu

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about apt-cache?

apt-cache search <something>

or apt-show-versions?

apt-show-versions -a -r <regex>

Cheers,

Cliff

shannon

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:58:03 +1200, shannon wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:32:18 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>
>> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
>> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
>> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

> Try http://www.au.debian.org/distrib/packages

Sorry, that directs back to packages.debian.org
If you are running debian already, just use aptitude.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:20 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
> >
>> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
>> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
>> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)
> >

> What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about apt-cache?
>
> apt-cache search <something>

thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt find anything for
apache2 (meaning it isnt there)

> or apt-show-versions?

command not found

> apt-show-versions -a -r <regex>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Thanks

AD.

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:19 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> ie very often if I dont use a full name of a package all I get is a not
> about it being listed as a dependency in other packages, with no idea of
> the packages correct name

Synaptic?

--
Cheers
Anton

shannon

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:19 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:58:03 +1200, shannon wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:32:18 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>>
>>> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
>>> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
>>> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)

>> Try http://www.au.debian.org/distrib/packages

> ew.. australian!
> I just this minute had used the cached page on google..
> but er.. what I was fishing for was, is there a way to view package lists
> with out the webpage?
> ie very often if I dont use a full name of a package all I get is a not
> about it being listed as a dependency in other packages, with no idea of
> the packages correct name

You can look directly at an archive package list and grep it if you like
http://debian.ihug.co.nz/debian/dist...86/Packages.gz

Or use aptitude or synaptic to search/view uninstalled packages.

shannon

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:07:01 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:20 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>> >
>>> grr packages.debian.org seems to be down :\
>>> and I want to view the available packages for apt-get
>>> (note the subtle.. How do I do this)
>> >

>> What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about apt-cache?
>>
>> apt-cache search <something>

> thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt find anything for
> apache2 (meaning it isnt there)

apache2 is there if I search in aptitude (/ to search \ to search again)

shannon

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:27:18 +1200, shannon wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:07:01 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

>>> What exactly are you trying to do? You do know about apt-cache?
>>>
>>> apt-cache search <something>

>> thats pretty much what I was after (although it didnt find anything for
>> apache2 (meaning it isnt there)

> apache2 is there if I search in aptitude (/ to search \ to search again)

I'm running sarge testing , it might not be in woody stable