Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Philips Zero Dead Pixel Warranty

Philips Zero Dead Pixel Warranty

SchoolTech

Is this as good as it sounds?

Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
the screens with zero pixels for three years?

Dorado

SchoolTech wrote:
> Is this as good as it sounds?
>
> Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
> the screens with zero pixels for three years?

You get what you pay for.
The zero dead pixel warranty is only true for the professional line of LCD
monitors they make, and it costs a lot more than a normal ones do.
That's how they make something like that feasible.

SchoolTech

Dorado wrote:
> SchoolTech wrote:
>
>>Is this as good as it sounds?
>>
>>Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
>>the screens with zero pixels for three years?

> You get what you pay for.
> The zero dead pixel warranty is only true for the professional line of LCD
> monitors they make, and it costs a lot more than a normal ones do.
> That's how they make something like that feasible.

We were quoted wholesale price of $356 to buy a 15" LCD with this
warranty. Model 150B5CB/00

Also quoted two different models of 17" LCD. Only the more expensive one
($56 more) was listed with this warranty.

Dorado

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d2rf0q$fqo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dorado wrote:
>> SchoolTech wrote:
>>
>>>Is this as good as it sounds?
>>>
>>>Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
>>>the screens with zero pixels for three years?

>> You get what you pay for.
>> The zero dead pixel warranty is only true for the professional line of
>> LCD monitors they make, and it costs a lot more than a normal ones do.
>> That's how they make something like that feasible.

> We were quoted wholesale price of $356 to buy a 15" LCD with this
> warranty. Model 150B5CB/00
>
> Also quoted two different models of 17" LCD. Only the more expensive one
> ($56 more) was listed with this warranty.

Hmm that's strange.. last I heard the professional ones were quite
significantly more expensive ($200-$300 more atleast)... Unless prices have
come down very fast recently

Ken C

I've had my Philips 150B3 (I believe non pro)
for 2-3 years now and no dead pixels yet

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d2r0b2$ehc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this as good as it sounds?
>
> Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
> the screens with zero pixels for three years?

maz

They don't usually develop, they occur during the manufacturing. I am having
trouble at the moment getting a philips LCD monitor (has a dead pixel
warranty) that doesn't have any dead pixels on it. The first one I received
had 4, the second had 2 dead ones. Waiting for my next one to be sent to me.

"Ken C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:d2v5es$rg5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've had my Philips 150B3 (I believe non pro)
> for 2-3 years now and no dead pixels yet
>

> "SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d2r0b2$ehc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is this as good as it sounds?
> >
> > Have Philips really got such a level of quality control they can make
> > the screens with zero pixels for three years?

akiwi

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:05:35 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
wrote:

>They don't usually develop, they occur during the manufacturing. I am having
>trouble at the moment getting a philips LCD monitor (has a dead pixel
>warranty) that doesn't have any dead pixels on it. The first one I received
>had 4, the second had 2 dead ones. Waiting for my next one to be sent to me.

Which model?

maz

"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:05:35 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
> >They don't usually develop, they occur during the manufacturing. I am

having
> >trouble at the moment getting a philips LCD monitor (has a dead pixel
> >warranty) that doesn't have any dead pixels on it. The first one I

received
> >had 4, the second had 2 dead ones. Waiting for my next one to be sent to

me.

> Which model?

It's a 190P model.

akiwi

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:48:30 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
wrote:

>"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:05:35 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >They don't usually develop, they occur during the manufacturing. I am

>having
>> >trouble at the moment getting a philips LCD monitor (has a dead pixel
>> >warranty) that doesn't have any dead pixels on it. The first one I

>received
>> >had 4, the second had 2 dead ones. Waiting for my next one to be sent to

>me.
>>

>> Which model?
>>

>It's a 190P model.

Is that 190P5EB? I've been thinking of getting one. Did you have
time to get an opinion on its quality before you sent it back -
colours and sharpness etc.

I see there's a 190P6EB out now with 8ms response time at the same
price as the P5 but slightly lower brightness and contrast ratio and
16.2 million colours as opposed to 16.7 Also there's no reviews on
the 190P6 yet - there were good reviews on the 190P5.

akiwi

BILL

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:58:58 +1200, akiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:48:30 +1200, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
>wrote:
>

>>"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>having

>>received

>>me.
>>>

>>> Which model?
>>>

>>It's a 190P model.
>>

>Is that 190P5EB? I've been thinking of getting one. Did you have
>time to get an opinion on its quality before you sent it back -
>colours and sharpness etc.
>
>I see there's a 190P6EB out now with 8ms response time at the same
>price as the P5 but slightly lower brightness and contrast ratio and
>16.2 million colours as opposed to 16.7 Also there's no reviews on
>the 190P6 yet - there were good reviews on the 190P5.
>
>akiwi

If it states 16.2 Million its only has 262K true Colours the others are
achieve by dithering, pixel switching..

These type do suffer from poor colours..

Read the articles on Toms..