Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP logon problem

XP logon problem

Matthew

Hi all

I've come accross a strange situation with a laptop running XP SP2..

The laptop had XP Pro SP2 installed on it, works fine, all drivers up to
date and no intermittant faults.

However, after performing a windows update, the machine rebooted, and locked
the user out at the welcome screen. Previously, he has had it setup so that
there is no password, it just logs him in automatically. But after about
10mb of updates, the machine now comes to the welcome screen, and the user
is presented with a 2 usernames - his and administrator.

The problem is when you try to click on either user, it spits out an error
message: "The system cannot log you on due to the following error: the
program issued a command, but the command length is incorrect. Please try
again or consult administrator". It does this for both accounts, with or
without any type of passwords, also does it in safe mode too. There is no
hex error message either.

So before I try to roll back the configuration or reinstall, has anyone come
accross this sort of thing before? If so, can you please advise what to do
... I've tried google and the Microsoft Knowledge base, but to no avail.

The machine:
Dell Inspiron 1100
Celery 2.4ghz
512 MB Ram

Theres been no changes to the hardware

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Dave Taylor

"Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:aL14e.15507$(E-Mail Removed):

> So before I try to roll back the configuration or reinstall, has
> anyone come accross this sort of thing before? If so, can you please
> advise what to do .. I've tried google and the Microsoft Knowledge
> base, but to no avail.

Look in the event logs and visit http://www.eventid.net/search.asp to see
what it is all about.

--
Ciao, Dave

Peter Lowrie

Dave Taylor wrote:

> "Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:aL14e.15507$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> So before I try to roll back the configuration or reinstall, has
>> anyone come accross this sort of thing before? If so, can you please
>> advise what to do .. I've tried google and the Microsoft Knowledge
>> base, but to no avail.

> Look in the event logs and visit http://www.eventid.net/search.asp to see
> what it is all about.

Yes, but if he has a computer that he can't log into then how does he look
at the log and visit the website?

--
Regards,
Peter.

Dave Taylor

Peter Lowrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Dave Taylor wrote:
>
>> "Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:aL14e.15507$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> So before I try to roll back the configuration or reinstall, has
>>> anyone come accross this sort of thing before? If so, can you please
>>> advise what to do .. I've tried google and the Microsoft Knowledge
>>> base, but to no avail.

>> Look in the event logs and visit http://www.eventid.net/search.asp to
>> see what it is all about.
>>

> Yes, but if he has a computer that he can't log into then how does he
> look at the log and visit the website?

I thought the OP said he could get into safe mode.

--
Ciao, Dave