Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google newsgroup search problem

Google newsgroup search problem

Matty F

It's been very useful to use Google to search newsgroups for the
solution to various problems rather than ask everybody yet again. But
Google must have updated their software half an hour ago, because
suddenly they seem want to write cookies, and it tries to connect to
some ad agency a few dozen times before they complain about cookies not
being enabled. Now anyone sensible blocks cookies unless they are really
necessary, like for your bank. If I enable cookies, it comes up with the
same message, then basically complains that they think they are being
attacked by a virus, and they've probably now banned my IP number.
Does anyone else have trouble using Google newsgroup search with cookies
off, or even on?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Matty F wrote:
> It's been very useful to use Google to search newsgroups for the
> solution to various problems rather than ask everybody yet again. But
> Google must have updated their software half an hour ago, because
> suddenly they seem want to write cookies, and it tries to connect to
> some ad agency a few dozen times before they complain about cookies not
> being enabled. Now anyone sensible blocks cookies unless they are really
> necessary, like for your bank. If I enable cookies, it comes up with the
> same message, then basically complains that they think they are being
> attacked by a virus, and they've probably now banned my IP number.
> Does anyone else have trouble using Google newsgroup search with cookies
> off, or even on?

ahh, nope, it all works fine for me, cookies on or off.(cleared between
trials).

what browser? what version? what platform?

Matty F

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Matty F wrote:

>> Does anyone else have trouble using Google newsgroup search with
>> cookies off, or even on?

> ahh, nope, it all works fine for me, cookies on or off.(cleared between
> trials).
>
> what browser? what version? what platform?

Mozilla/5.0 Win98SE
It seems to work if I get another IP address and allow cookies, and I
don't dare to reject Google cookies again in case something really nasty
happens, since they banned anything from my IP address. Strange thing is
that it's been working fine all morning, then as I clicked on Next Page,
suddenly it got into a loop trying to access an advert website. I think
the next page had some Google ads on it. Perhaps that's the clue.

Impossible

"Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ke44e.15568$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> Matty F wrote:

>>> Does anyone else have trouble using Google newsgroup search with
>>> cookies off, or even on?

>> ahh, nope, it all works fine for me, cookies on or off.(cleared
>> between trials).
>>
>> what browser? what version? what platform?

> Mozilla/5.0 Win98SE
> It seems to work if I get another IP address and allow cookies, and
> I don't dare to reject Google cookies again in case something really
> nasty happens, since they banned anything from my IP address.
> Strange thing is that it's been working fine all morning, then as I
> clicked on Next Page, suddenly it got into a loop trying to access
> an advert website. I think the next page had some Google ads on it.
> Perhaps that's the clue.

Cookies are harmless. Save yourself the hassle and enable them all.

Malcolm Moore

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:02:46 +1200, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It's been very useful to use Google to search newsgroups for the
>solution to various problems rather than ask everybody yet again. But
>Google must have updated their software half an hour ago, because
>suddenly they seem want to write cookies, and it tries to connect to
>some ad agency a few dozen times before they complain about cookies not
>being enabled. Now anyone sensible blocks cookies unless they are really
>necessary, like for your bank. If I enable cookies, it comes up with the
>same message, then basically complains that they think they are being
>attacked by a virus, and they've probably now banned my IP number.
>Does anyone else have trouble using Google newsgroup search with cookies
>off, or even on?

It was doing exactly that for me earlier this afternoon. All back to
normal again now so I guess someone altered something they shouldn't
have.
--
Regards
Malcolm

Enkidu

Matty F wrote:

> Now anyone sensible blocks cookies unless they are
> really necessary, like for your bank.

Wow! That's so backwards! Why block cookies? A cookie is
something that they *already* know about you. Wouldn't you
rather know this than not? Secondly, if you are going to go
back to the site or a similar one, why not let them track
you? Thirdly, if you only visit the site once, who cares if
they send you a cookie? Fourthly, I'd think that a bank
would be the *last* place that you'd allow to store cookies
on your computer. Fifthly, if you don't let them trace you
via cookies they will use some other more underhand method
to track you (webbugs?).

I'll ban cookies the minute that I see hoards of shoppers
complaining to the supermarkets that they are keeping
information on their spending habits.

Cheers,

Cliff