Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Have Wireless Connection, No Internet Access...

Have Wireless Connection, No Internet Access...

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZW01OQ==?=

Need some help understanding what's going on here... I have a DLink 524
wireless router set up with a desktop along with a DSL internet connection.
My laptop makes the wireless connection, but when I try to connect to a
website on the laptop, get a message: The web page you requested is not
available offline, to view this page, click Connect. Clicking Connect then
attempts to make a dial up connection.

Why? Shouldn't I be connecting via my DSL connection?

On the router, I have set up an SSID and am using WEP encryption. I have
set up the key number on the router as well as the laptop to the same number.
Also, set up to use the same channel.

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Try:

In IE click Tools - Internet Options - Connections tab. Select Never dial a
connection.

Doug Sherman
MCSSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"mikem59" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Need some help understanding what's going on here... I have a DLink 524
> wireless router set up with a desktop along with a DSL internet

connection.
> My laptop makes the wireless connection, but when I try to connect to a
> website on the laptop, get a message: The web page you requested is not
> available offline, to view this page, click Connect. Clicking Connect

then
> attempts to make a dial up connection.
>
> Why? Shouldn't I be connecting via my DSL connection?
>
> On the router, I have set up an SSID and am using WEP encryption. I have
> set up the key number on the router as well as the laptop to the same

number.
> Also, set up to use the same channel.

Lem

mikem59 wrote:

> Need some help understanding what's going on here... I have a DLink 524
> wireless router set up with a desktop along with a DSL internet connection.
> My laptop makes the wireless connection, but when I try to connect to a
> website on the laptop, get a message: The web page you requested is not
> available offline, to view this page, click Connect. Clicking Connect then
> attempts to make a dial up connection.
>
> Why? Shouldn't I be connecting via my DSL connection?
>
> On the router, I have set up an SSID and am using WEP encryption. I have
> set up the key number on the router as well as the laptop to the same number.
> Also, set up to use the same channel.

Has this arrangement ever worked? On the assumption that your answer is "no,"
try disabling WEP on both the router and your laptop. In general, it's
better/easier to set up a wireless network without any encryption and then add
encryption after you know that things are otherwise working. Once you get to
that point, you'd be better off if you set up WPA encryption rather than WEP.

What do you mean by "My laptop makes the wireless connection"? Can you access
the router's configuration pages over the wireless link (i.e., what happens when
you type 192.168.0.1 in your web browser's address box)? Have you set up your
router's "WAN" settings as required by your DSL ISP?

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZW01OQ==?=

"Lem" wrote:

> mikem59 wrote:
>
> > Need some help understanding what's going on here... I have a DLink 524
> > wireless router set up with a desktop along with a DSL internet connection.
> > My laptop makes the wireless connection, but when I try to connect to a
> > website on the laptop, get a message: The web page you requested is not
> > available offline, to view this page, click Connect. Clicking Connect then
> > attempts to make a dial up connection.
> >
> > Why? Shouldn't I be connecting via my DSL connection?
> >
> > On the router, I have set up an SSID and am using WEP encryption. I have
> > set up the key number on the router as well as the laptop to the same number.
> > Also, set up to use the same channel.

> Has this arrangement ever worked? On the assumption that your answer is "no,"
> try disabling WEP on both the router and your laptop. In general, it's
> better/easier to set up a wireless network without any encryption and then add
> encryption after you know that things are otherwise working. Once you get to
> that point, you'd be better off if you set up WPA encryption rather than WEP.
>
> What do you mean by "My laptop makes the wireless connection"? Can you access
> the router's configuration pages over the wireless link (i.e., what happens when
> you type 192.168.0.1 in your web browser's address box)? Have you set up your
> router's "WAN" settings as required by your DSL ISP?
>
> Thanks, Doug, Lem. I had originally disabled WEP, gained a wireless and internet connection, then lost it. then, selected the never dial again from the internet options. diabled WEP, reenabled it, and now I have internet access. again, thanks

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Go get 'em, Mike!

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP