Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP -N not gonna achieve anything.

XP -N not gonna achieve anything.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a
few others like it.

now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

C9H8O4

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a few
> others like it.
>
> now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
> than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

Think about it from the OEM's point of view too. Media Player is a free
add-on so I would guess that Windows XP-N would cost them the same as
Windows XP i.e. there is no price benefit. Why offer another product variant
with all the inherent manufacturing, warehousing, stocking and support
ramifications when there's no financial or technical upside in doing so ?
Seems to me that the EU ruling is all about legal puffery and little to do
with practical application in the real world. Of course, IANAL

Dave - Dave.net.nz

C9H8O4 wrote:
>>heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a few
>>others like it.
>>now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
>>than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

> Think about it from the OEM's point of view too. Media Player is a free
> add-on so I would guess that Windows XP-N would cost them the same as
> Windows XP i.e. there is no price benefit. Why offer another product variant
> with all the inherent manufacturing, warehousing, stocking and support
> ramifications when there's no financial or technical upside in doing so ?
> Seems to me that the EU ruling is all about legal puffery and little to do
> with practical application in the real world. Of course, IANAL

I see that it was also posted a few days back...(stupid new house ****
tying up my nntp time

anyway, it seems that most came to pretty much the same conclusion.

steve

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a
> few others like it.
>
> now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
> than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
likely look to impose one that will work.

C9H8O4

> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a few
>> others like it.
>>
>> now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer, other
>> than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

> If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
> likely look to impose one that will work.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

It has worked. MS have been forced to provide a version of Windows without a
media player. It's just a shame that nobody other than Real actually wanted

steve wrote:
>> heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a
>> few others like it.
>> now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer,
>> other than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

> If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
> likely look to impose one that will work.

MS have complied, I don't see that it is their problem anymore, they did
what was asked, and it didn't work the way the EU wanted. That should be
the end of the story.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>steve wrote:
>>> heh, I just read this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22283 and a
>>> few others like it.
>>> now if no-ones gonna ship it, where does that leave the consumer,
>>> other than a few million $$$ out of pocket for the law suit?

>> If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
>> likely look to impose one that will work.

>MS have complied, I don't see that it is their problem anymore, they did
>what was asked, and it didn't work the way the EU wanted. That should be
>the end of the story.

If the remedy didn't work, then the offence that prompted the EC to take
action is still continuing. If it's still continuing, then punitive
action must be taken.

Windows User

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:49:44 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>> If this remedy for MS's monopoly in Europe doesn't work.....the EU will
>>> likely look to impose one that will work.

>>MS have complied, I don't see that it is their problem anymore, they did
>>what was asked, and it didn't work the way the EU wanted. That should be
>>the end of the story.

>If the remedy didn't work, then the offence that prompted the EC to take
>action is still continuing. If it's still continuing, then punitive
>action must be taken.

what is the "offence"

who is "offended"

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Windows User <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:49:44 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>>MS have complied, I don't see that it is their problem anymore, they did
>>>what was asked, and it didn't work the way the EU wanted. That should be
>>>the end of the story.

>>If the remedy didn't work, then the offence that prompted the EC to take
>>action is still continuing. If it's still continuing, then punitive
>>action must be taken.

>what is the "offence"
>
>who is "offended"

<http://news.com.com/EU+Microsoft+not...2100-7343_3-56
25366.html>

You're not gonna believe this..... olfart Computer Support 35 03-24-2007 12:40 AM
can you add whole types of elements to addEventListener? if not, how else to achieve the efffect? Jake Barnes Javascript 3 02-07-2006 07:12 AM
Re: I m gonna mad SEWilson ASP .Net 0 08-23-2003 02:57 AM
Re: I m gonna mad Haider Abbas Y. Narsinh ASP .Net 0 08-22-2003 02:58 PM

Advertisments