Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Firewire 800

New Firewire 800

GraB

http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewi...ewire800.shtml

"Power to the bus - USB 2.0 allows 2.5W of power, enough to run simple
devices like mice. Firewire allows for a big time 45W of power, enough
for portable hard drives and other devices to run without AC"

I imagine 45W would require a connection from the PSU?

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewi...ewire800.shtml
>
>"Power to the bus - USB 2.0 allows 2.5W of power, enough to run simple
>devices like mice. Firewire allows for a big time 45W of power, enough
>for portable hard drives and other devices to run without AC"

USB2 is a hack. Intel couldn't bear Apple having come up with a
high-speed plug'n'play device connection spec, so they had to produce
one of their own.
It's hardly surprising that 1394b is superior in other ways -
host-to-host connection being but one of many.

>I imagine 45W would require a connection from the PSU?

Probably gets drawn through the motherboard. There're some very hefty
power connectors on new PSUs.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Brendon

GraB wrote:
> http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewi...ewire800.shtml
>
> "Power to the bus - USB 2.0 allows 2.5W of power, enough to run simple
> devices like mice. Firewire allows for a big time 45W of power, enough
> for portable hard drives and other devices to run without AC"
>
> I imagine 45W would require a connection from the PSU?

Strange - I have a portable 40GB hard drive running solely on USB right
now. No power, just USB - works fine.

Brendon

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Brendon wrote:
>> http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewi...ewire800.shtml
>> "Power to the bus - USB 2.0 allows 2.5W of power, enough to run simple
>> devices like mice. Firewire allows for a big time 45W of power, enough
>> for portable hard drives and other devices to run without AC"

> Strange - I have a portable 40GB hard drive running solely on USB right
> now. No power, just USB - works fine.

as do I, except mines smaller(only 20GB)

thing

Matthew Poole wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewi...ewire800.shtml
>>
>>"Power to the bus - USB 2.0 allows 2.5W of power, enough to run simple
>>devices like mice. Firewire allows for a big time 45W of power, enough
>>for portable hard drives and other devices to run without AC"
>>

> USB2 is a hack. Intel couldn't bear Apple having come up with a
> high-speed plug'n'play device connection spec, so they had to produce
> one of their own.
> It's hardly surprising that 1394b is superior in other ways -
> host-to-host connection being but one of many.
>

>>I imagine 45W would require a connection from the PSU?

> Probably gets drawn through the motherboard. There're some very hefty
> power connectors on new PSUs.

USB 2 seems an awful fudge compred to firewire....nominally the USB
speed is higher. Except in having a usb and a firewire hd & burner, I
find the firewire mode is way faster, and for burning more
reliable...USB also seems to need drivers added to fix SUB chipset
cludges I assume, these often seem flaky where firwire seems to be plug
it in and go.

regards

Thing

mark

Brendon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UAZ3e.702$E%3.166@newsfe3-
win.ntli.net:

> Subject: Re: New Firewire 800
> From: Brendon <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
> GraB wrote:
>> http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewi...ewire800.shtml
>>
>> "Power to the bus - USB 2.0 allows 2.5W of power, enough to run simple
>> devices like mice. Firewire allows for a big time 45W of power, enough
>> for portable hard drives and other devices to run without AC"
>>
>> I imagine 45W would require a connection from the PSU?

> Strange - I have a portable 40GB hard drive running solely on USB right
> now. No power, just USB - works fine.
>
> Brendon

That will be a (low power) laptop hard drive right? I do the same, though
it must be borderline, since if I use a short cable it works, but if I use
a slightly longer cable the drive fails to spin up.

I wonder if they mean full size drives, which are need 12V, not just 5V?

--
---

A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

Gordon

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 03:24:55 +1200, GraB wrote:

> http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewi...ewire800.shtml
>
> "Power to the bus - USB 2.0 allows 2.5W of power, enough to run simple
> devices like mice. Firewire allows for a big time 45W of power, enough
> for portable hard drives and other devices to run without AC"
>
> I imagine 45W would require a connection from the PSU?

Well some graphics cards have done so for sometime now.

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Matthew Poole wrote:

*SNIP*
>USB 2 seems an awful fudge compred to firewire

*SNIP*

It is. 1394 was designed from the start to be a high-speed transfer bus
for use in things like post-production and digital video.
USB2 is a cludge on top of USB1, to allow it to transfer at higher
speeds. The real clincher will be if any attempt is made to have USB
compete with 1394b, or with the apparent max of the 1394 spec -
1600Mbps.

USB should've been left for minor peripherals. It does that well. The
fact that only one version of USB2 is theoretically faster than the only
version of 1394a says a lot about what a shambles the entire design
process was.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Roger Johnstone

In <Xns962EA4F667E5Csometimes2003@213.155.197.138> mark wrote:
> Brendon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UAZ3e.702$E%3.166@newsfe3-
> win.ntli.net:
>
>> Subject: Re: New Firewire 800
>> From: Brendon <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>>
>> GraB wrote:
>>> http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewi...ewire800.shtml
>>>
>>> "Power to the bus - USB 2.0 allows 2.5W of power, enough to run
>>> simple devices like mice. Firewire allows for a big time 45W of
>>> power, enough for portable hard drives and other devices to run
>>> without AC" I imagine 45W would require a connection from the PSU?

>> Strange - I have a portable 40GB hard drive running solely on USB
>> right now. No power, just USB - works fine. Brendon

> That will be a (low power) laptop hard drive right? I do the same,
> though it must be borderline, since if I use a short cable it works,
> but if I use a slightly longer cable the drive fails to spin up.
>
> I wonder if they mean full size drives, which are need 12V, not just
> 5V?

I just bought a new 80GB 3.5" hard drive and noticed the power
consumption listed in the specs for it was 8 watts, far too much for USB.
The voltage and maximum current a FireWire port supplies is up to the
manufacturer, but I remember my lowly eMac's FireWire ports were rated
at 8W.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <d2qqpq$240$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole) wrote:

*SNIP*
>> speeds. The real clincher will be if any attempt is made to have USB
>> compete with 1394b, or with the apparent max of the 1394 spec -
>> 1600Mbps.

>I think they are going to skip the 1600Mbs and go to 3200Mbs.

*SNIP*

Who, Intel or Apple?