Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Another usless court case against Microsoft fails....

Another usless court case against Microsoft fails....

Max Burke

....to do what it's supposed to do, and proves yet again that you cant create
a competitive market place in courtroom.

<quote>
Dell, HP: Sorry, EU, But XP N Stands for Non-starter
It will still sell more copies than OS X Tiger, but what a waste of time.
This week, representatives of Dell and HP, the world's two largest PC
makers, downplayed the effects of the European Union's (EU's) requirement
that Microsoft ship special N versions of XP that don't include Windows
Media Player (WMP). Dell says it won't offer the products on its PCs.
HP said that it will offer XP Home Edition N and XP Professional Edition N
but that it expects little demand from customers. HP noted that because the
N versions cost the same as the XP versions that include WMP, consumers have
little incentive to consider the products. Well, duh.
<end quote>

Found Images

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>...to do what it's supposed to do, and proves yet again that you cant create
>a competitive market place in [a] courtroom.
>
><quote>
>Dell, HP: Sorry, EU, But XP N Stands for Non-starter
>It will still sell more copies than OS X Tiger, but what a waste of time.
>This week, representatives of Dell and HP, the world's two largest PC
>makers, downplayed the effects of the European Union's (EU's) requirement
>that Microsoft ship special N versions of XP that don't include Windows
>Media Player (WMP). Dell says it won't offer the products on its PCs.
>HP said that it will offer XP Home Edition N and XP Professional Edition N
>but that it expects little demand from customers. HP noted that because the
>N versions cost the same as the XP versions that include WMP, consumers have
>little incentive to consider the products. Well, duh.
><end quote>

If Microsoft is seen as trying to subvert the European Commission
judgement, then that just gives the Commission an excuse to slap it
around some more. If it wants the pain to stop, then it needs to be more
cooperative.

The old US of A doesn't run the world any more (if indeed it ever did).
We live in an international world, where "globalization" doesn't mean
that Country A imposes its rules on Country B, it means that we have to
take into consideration the rules of both Country A and Country B.

Peter

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> The old US of A doesn't run the world any more (if indeed it ever did).
> We live in an international world, where "globalization" doesn't mean
> that Country A imposes its rules on Country B, it means that we have to
> take into consideration the rules of both Country A and Country B.

Who said they don't rule the world? It worked on Iraq, didn't it?

By military or political means, USA wants to dominate. (eg "free" trade
agreement with Aust)

Peter

BILL

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:53:13 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>...to do what it's supposed to do, and proves yet again that you cant create
>>a competitive market place in [a] courtroom.
>>
>><quote>
>>Dell, HP: Sorry, EU, But XP N Stands for Non-starter
>>It will still sell more copies than OS X Tiger, but what a waste of time.
>>This week, representatives of Dell and HP, the world's two largest PC
>>makers, downplayed the effects of the European Union's (EU's) requirement
>>that Microsoft ship special N versions of XP that don't include Windows
>>Media Player (WMP). Dell says it won't offer the products on its PCs.
>>HP said that it will offer XP Home Edition N and XP Professional Edition N
>>but that it expects little demand from customers. HP noted that because the
>>N versions cost the same as the XP versions that include WMP, consumers have
>>little incentive to consider the products. Well, duh.
>><end quote>

>If Microsoft is seen as trying to subvert the European Commission
>judgement, then that just gives the Commission an excuse to slap it
>around some more. If it wants the pain to stop, then it needs to be more
>cooperative.
>
>The old US of A doesn't run the world any more (if indeed it ever did).
>We live in an international world, where "globalization" doesn't mean
>that Country A imposes its rules on Country B, it means that we have to
>take into consideration the rules of both Country A and Country B.

THE US does Run the world, take the blinkers off.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>> The old US of A doesn't run the world any more (if indeed it ever did).
>> We live in an international world, where "globalization" doesn't mean
>> that Country A imposes its rules on Country B, it means that we have to
>> take into consideration the rules of both Country A and Country B.

>Who said they don't rule the world? It worked on Iraq, didn't it?

Iraq has tied up essentially the entire operational strength of the US
Army. They've got nothing left over to mount a large operation anywhere
else. They're even pulling troops out of Afghanistan, leaving that job
unfinished, to send to Iraq.

I will give the US credit for organizing elections in Iraq. But so far
those elections haven't amounted to much...

>By military or political means, USA wants to dominate. (eg "free" trade
>agreement with Aust)

The only aspect of their strength that remains unrivalled is military.
Both their political and economic strength is waning.

Political: look at their rabid opposition to the International Criminal
Court. They kept seeking exemptions from its jurisdiction over their
troops, until the scandal over Abu Ghreib totally destroyed any moral
justification they may have had for such a stand. And just a couple of
days ago, they conceded that the ICC is the right place to prosecute
those committing atrocities in Darfur. So US opposition to the Court
gets knocked back bit by bit. And so we move, baby step by baby step,
towards a world justice system that is multilateral and
internationalist, not US-dominated.

Economic: ten years ago, they accounted for half the world PC market.
That is now down to less than one-third. That means that, if US-based
companies like Microsoft want to do business on the world stage, they
will have to pay more and more attention to how things are done in other
countries, rather than simply trying to impose a USian way of doing
things on everybody.

Sure, some countries (such as Australia) still see the US as the centre
of their world. But we here in NZ do not. We, not the Australians, are
the ones who are forward-looking.

steve

Max Burke wrote:
> ...to do what it's supposed to do, and proves yet again that you cant
> create a competitive market place in courtroom.

Just because it hasn't been done right doesn't mean it can't be done.

steve

Peter wrote:
> Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
>>The old US of A doesn't run the world any more (if indeed it ever did).
>>We live in an international world, where "globalization" doesn't mean
>>that Country A imposes its rules on Country B, it means that we have to
>>take into consideration the rules of both Country A and Country B.

> Who said they don't rule the world? It worked on Iraq, didn't it?

Has it? Iraq certtainly doesn't look settled. If anything, the US
invaded the place only to facilitate the creation of the Islamic
Republic of Iraq (or Rump-Iraq, if the Sunnis and Kurds split).

> By military or political means, USA wants to dominate. (eg "free" trade
> agreement with Aust)
>
> Peter

That was John Howard making bad deals so he could claim to have done
well for Australia.

That deal wasn't imposed on Aussie......Howard BEGGED to be raped.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <424f92ad$1_2@127.0.0.1>,
steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Max Burke wrote:
>> ...to do what it's supposed to do, and proves yet again that you cant
>> create a competitive market place in courtroom.

>Just because it hasn't been done right doesn't mean it can't be done.

During the 1990s I would have agreed that it was a waste of time trying
to pursue Microsoft through the courts--the industry was moving so fast
that the verdicts of judges like Jackson and Kotar-Kotelly were
basically obsolete by the time they were delivered.

But nowadays I'm not so sure. The pace of innovation has slackened off a
bit. So it may indeed be the time to start introducing some regulation
and get rid of the Wild West element...

Peter

steve wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> Who said they don't rule the world? It worked on Iraq, didn't it?

> Has it? Iraq certtainly doesn't look settled. If anything, the US
> invaded the place only to facilitate the creation of the Islamic
> Republic of Iraq (or Rump-Iraq, if the Sunnis and Kurds split).

USA acted unilaterally, against the express wishes of the UN and many other
countries. Whether you think USA did the right thing or not, they behaved
like they rule the world.
The botched military operations, unethical actions and abuse of innocent
civilians are a separate issue.

> That was John Howard making bad deals so he could claim to have done
> well for Australia.
>
> That deal wasn't imposed on Aussie......Howard BEGGED to be raped.

It is still an example where USA think they rule the world, IMHO.

Peter

Peter

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> During the 1990s I would have agreed that it was a waste of time trying
> to pursue Microsoft through the courts--the industry was moving so fast
> that the verdicts of judges like Jackson and Kotar-Kotelly were
> basically obsolete by the time they were delivered.
>
> But nowadays I'm not so sure. The pace of innovation has slackened off a
> bit. So it may indeed be the time to start introducing some regulation
> and get rid of the Wild West element...

A while back (lost the link now), I read an article along the lines that
such long legal battles favoured Microsoft. Because the industry is moving
fast, by the time they've been through years of court actions, Microsoft
has already won the battle in the markets so any legal decision is
irrelevant. Even if MS cops a $billion fine, they are still better off
because market dominance is worth even more.

Peter

usless script? cln HTML 3 01-22-2009 08:24 PM
[Media] Quebec Engineer Win Court Battle Against Microsoft Brian MCSE 84 04-09-2004 12:54 PM
usless mail in my outbox x x Computer Support 6 02-23-2004 01:25 AM

Advertisments