Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 64-bit Windows XP Pro X64 released to Manufacturing

64-bit Windows XP Pro X64 released to Manufacturing

Chris Hope

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>except it will cost you your copy of XP32 i've read that your XP32
>>>licence key will be void if you do the trade-in thing for X64, not
>>>sure if they've made a solid decision on that yet... i'll probly be
>>>buying a new XP64 OEM just to be safe.

>> Well that's fair enough. If they give you a free upgrade to XP64
>> (which is supposed to be used on the machine you're upgrading) then
>> why should you continue to be able to use the XP32 version?

> erk, I agress with both sides.
>
> it'd be nice to be able to have both dual booting say until you know
> everything works on XP64 before you chuck out XP32, although no doubt
> a lotof people who will be wanting to use XP64 will be able to get
> around this, I mean it may in'validate the XP32 key, but it's not like
> anything could happen without going to say windows update or similar.

Fair comment and I didn't think of that aspect of it. I wonder if the
license prevents you from doing that?

Chris Hope

steve wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>> gimp wrote:

>>>except it will cost you your copy of XP32 i've read that your XP32
>>>licence key will be void if you do the trade-in thing for X64, not
>>>sure if they've made a solid decision on that yet... i'll probly be
>>>buying a new XP64 OEM just to be safe.

>> Well that's fair enough. If they give you a free upgrade to XP64
>> (which is supposed to be used on the machine you're upgrading) then
>> why should you continue to be able to use the XP32 version?

> You may have to revert back in the event of hardware failure.....???

Yes, you and Dave have both made fair comments. I didn't think of that
aspect of it either; normally when you upgrade software you wouldn't
want to use the old version any more but it is a little different when
it comes to the OS. Also this isn't even really an upgrade as such
because it's still XP, just compiled and optimised for the 64 bit
platform.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>> Why not? You've got all the sources. Start by rebuilding the kernel for
>> 64-bit, and take it from there.
>> Instant non-vapourware...

>build world... not exactly instant.

Obviously you are not familiar with Linux build tools. You're thinking
in terms of some convoluted Windows built process.

<http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/tccboot.html>

>and it would no -longer be Xandros.

It would still be Linux.

-=rjh=-

Grizzly wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:02:21 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:50:19 +1200, Grizzly wrote:
>>

>>>Tell me how many linux distros have 64 bit versions, bugger me vapourware
>>>exists in the Linux world.

>>I'm posting this using a 64bit version of Mandrake 10.0
>>

>>Bling Bling

> And of the 100 linux distro`s how many have 64 bit versions .. or
> are waiting for 64 bit versions to arrive for their favourite distro
> hmmmmm Lawernce has vaporware up to his ass ..

Where did this 100 linux distros come from? Distrowatch list about 320,
and I doubt if their list is anywhere near complete.

Also, Newsforge currently has an interesting article on the state of
64bit Linux, and if the article is to be believed, it is a bit of a
mess. Commenters beg to differ, of course.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <d2sbkg$sib$(E-Mail Removed)>,
-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Also, Newsforge currently has an interesting article on the state of
>64bit Linux, and if the article is to be believed, it is a bit of a
>mess. Commenters beg to differ, of course.

There are some different approaches being taken to filesystem
organization. I don't think there are any actual ABI or API differences.

Thus, on SuSE, 64-bit libraries go in /lib64 and /usr/lib64. This way,
32-bit binaries can continue to find their libraries in /lib and
/usr/lib.

Other more source-centric distros like Debian and Gentoo, I believe,
prefer to always use the names /lib and /usr/lib for the "native"
architecture (64-bit on 64-bit installations).