Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Brasil on LInux/Open Source.....

Brasil on LInux/Open Source.....

whoisthis

In article <pan.2005.04.11.08.02.22.602815@TRACKER>,
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:11:41 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> > Linux is not and never
> > will be the panacea for everything and everyone.

> True. That's where the other Unices come in.

Again wrong. *nix is not the be all and end all either.

Bling-Bling

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:08:39 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> Again wrong. *nix is not the be all and end all either.

I dunno about that.

It does everything I've ever needed it to do as an OS. And I expect that
as more and more commercial programmes are ported to Linux to join with
the plethora of already available Open Source programmes, then an ever
increasing number of persons will never have a need to use Micro$oft
software ever again.

Bling Bling

Matty

On 2005-04-11 19:09:28 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> In article <2005041020172750073%kaiwainz@yahoocomau>,
> Matty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Well, I moved from a PC with FreeBSD to a iMac loaded with MacOS; all
>> the sexiness of MacOS and application availability with all the cool
>> command line stuff I could do with FreeBSD. Tiger apparently will be
>> even better on the CLI front
>>
>> Matt
>>

> Yep, OSX, everything linux wants to be and yet will never achieve.

Too bad the bandwagon settled for GNOME because the likes of SUN, IBM,
Novell etc, were either too cheap to pay for Qt licenses, or god
forbid, buy troll tech outright and BSD license the underlying Qt so
every tom, dick and harry could use.

Then again, its the old story - the best technology doesn't aways win
Had the big players got behind KDE, we'd have a top notch desktop
already - and without all the political bullshit that surrounds OSS
right now.

Matt

Matty

On 2005-04-11 20:20:14 +1200, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:08:39 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
>> Again wrong. *nix is not the be all and end all either.

> I dunno about that.
>
> It does everything I've ever needed it to do as an OS. And I expect that
> as more and more commercial programmes are ported to Linux to join with
> the plethora of already available Open Source programmes, then an ever
> increasing number of persons will never have a need to use Micro$oft
> software ever again.
>

> Bling Bling

Well, as a server, UNIX is great, and as for MacOS X, its a good
desktop, but the current crop of OSS UNIXs (even Solaris) on the x86,
quite frankly, as a desktop, is shithouse.

People want to be able to go down the road, and buy software off the
shelf. The day Joe and Jane Smith can not only buy a computer loaded
with Linux (or what ever happens to be the popular *NIX of the day) and
purchase software titles from big name vendors, off the shelf then *NIX
can claim to be ready for the desktop, until then, *NIX will be
relegated to the server until that day.

Matt

Bling-Bling

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:04:01 +1200, Matty wrote:

> On 2005-04-11 20:20:14 +1200, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:08:39 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>>
>>> Again wrong. *nix is not the be all and end all either.

>> I dunno about that.
>>
>> It does everything I've ever needed it to do as an OS. And I expect that
>> as more and more commercial programmes are ported to Linux to join with
>> the plethora of already available Open Source programmes, then an ever
>> increasing number of persons will never have a need to use Micro$oft
>> software ever again.
>>

>> Bling Bling

> Well, as a server, UNIX is great, and as for MacOS X, its a good
> desktop, but the current crop of OSS UNIXs (even Solaris) on the x86,
> quite frankly, as a desktop, is shithouse.
>
> People want to be able to go down the road, and buy software off the
> shelf. The day Joe and Jane Smith can not only buy a computer loaded
> with Linux (or what ever happens to be the popular *NIX of the day) and
> purchase software titles from big name vendors, off the shelf then *NIX
> can claim to be ready for the desktop, until then, *NIX will be
> relegated to the server until that day.

I don't agree.

I've been using *nix on the desktop for several years already. I find it
to more than meet my needs for a desktop OS.

Bling Bling

AD.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:58:21 +1200, Matty wrote:

> Too bad the bandwagon settled for GNOME because the likes of SUN, IBM,
> Novell etc, were either too cheap to pay for Qt licenses, or god forbid,
> buy troll tech outright and BSD license the underlying Qt so every tom,
> dick and harry could use.

You could probably blame RedHat and the FSF for that instead of Sun and
IBM. Novell was too late to the party to have any effect anyway.

> Then again, its the old story - the best technology doesn't aways win
> Had the big players got behind KDE, we'd have a top notch desktop
> already - and without all the political bullshit that surrounds OSS right
> now.

Nah, a few other things would've needed to happen as well - eg X.org
happening years earlier, and gcc being better at C++ years earlier too. A
decent Qt office suite would probably have been needed earlier as well.

And if you really get down to what ifs, FreeBSD should've taken off
instead of Linux. And that also means Debians main kernel being FreeBSD
too

But IBM probably wouldn't have supported BSD as much as Linux (if at all).
That would have meant letting Sun swipe IBMs code for Solaris.

--
Cheers
Anton

FreedomChooser

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:45:18 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:04:01 +1200, Matty wrote:

>>> I dunno about that.
>>>
>>> It does everything I've ever needed it to do as an OS. And I expect that
>>> as more and more commercial programmes are ported to Linux to join with
>>> the plethora of already available Open Source programmes, then an ever
>>> increasing number of persons will never have a need to use Micro$oft
>>> software ever again.
>>>

>>> Bling Bling

>> Well, as a server, UNIX is great, and as for MacOS X, its a good
>> desktop, but the current crop of OSS UNIXs (even Solaris) on the x86,
>> quite frankly, as a desktop, is shithouse.
>>
>> People want to be able to go down the road, and buy software off the
>> shelf. The day Joe and Jane Smith can not only buy a computer loaded
>> with Linux (or what ever happens to be the popular *NIX of the day) and
>> purchase software titles from big name vendors, off the shelf then *NIX
>> can claim to be ready for the desktop, until then, *NIX will be
>> relegated to the server until that day.

>I don't agree.
>
>I've been using *nix on the desktop for several years already. I find it
>to more than meet my needs for a desktop OS.

With your contempt for the needs of the average user who you describe
as simpletons
You are clearly missing the point of this post which was not about you
but ordinary everyday people... the kind who buy Windows computers at
present

Matty

On 2005-04-11 22:45:18 +1200, Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:04:01 +1200, Matty wrote:

>>> I dunno about that.
>>>
>>> It does everything I've ever needed it to do as an OS. And I expect that
>>> as more and more commercial programmes are ported to Linux to join with
>>> the plethora of already available Open Source programmes, then an ever
>>> increasing number of persons will never have a need to use Micro$oft
>>> software ever again.
>>>

>>> Bling Bling

>> Well, as a server, UNIX is great, and as for MacOS X, its a good
>> desktop, but the current crop of OSS UNIXs (even Solaris) on the x86,
>> quite frankly, as a desktop, is shithouse.
>>
>> People want to be able to go down the road, and buy software off the
>> shelf. The day Joe and Jane Smith can not only buy a computer loaded
>> with Linux (or what ever happens to be the popular *NIX of the day) and
>> purchase software titles from big name vendors, off the shelf then *NIX
>> can claim to be ready for the desktop, until then, *NIX will be
>> relegated to the server until that day.

> I don't agree.
>
> I've been using *nix on the desktop for several years already. I find it
> to more than meet my needs for a desktop OS.
>

> Bling Bling

FOR YOU, for Joe Average, who has an IQ of a spounge cake, he/she would
rather click and drool than think. You can scream "read the ****ing
manual" till you're blue in the face, the fact remains, however, humans
are lazy, and they want their computers to do set tasks with the
minimum amount of effort and fuss.

The day a Linux distributor 'gets it', will be the day you'll see
customers demand the ability to purchase machines loaded with Linux and
demand that software companies provide Linux versions of their software.

Matt

Matty

On 2005-04-11 22:47:42 +1200, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:58:21 +1200, Matty wrote:
>
>> Too bad the bandwagon settled for GNOME because the likes of SUN, IBM,
>> Novell etc, were either too cheap to pay for Qt licenses, or god forbid,
>> buy troll tech outright and BSD license the underlying Qt so every tom,
>> dick and harry could use.

> You could probably blame RedHat and the FSF for that instead of Sun and
> IBM. Novell was too late to the party to have any effect anyway.

True, but still, SUN was an early supporter of GNOME.

>> Then again, its the old story - the best technology doesn't aways win
>> Had the big players got behind KDE, we'd have a top notch desktop
>> already - and without all the political bullshit that surrounds OSS right
>> now.

> Nah, a few other things would've needed to happen as well - eg X.org
> happening years earlier, and gcc being better at C++ years earlier too. A
> decent Qt office suite would probably have been needed earlier as well.
>
> And if you really get down to what ifs, FreeBSD should've taken off
> instead of Linux. And that also means Debians main kernel being FreeBSD
> too
>
> But IBM probably wouldn't have supported BSD as much as Linux (if at all).
> That would have meant letting Sun swipe IBMs code for Solaris.

If you read what I wrote, Qt should have been released under the BSD
License (not the operating system). Completely and utterly opensourced.

As for a Qt Office suite, there is no GTK one; the current OpenOffice
relies on its own widget kit, and as for GNOME Office, in its current
form, its a joke.

KOffice on the other hand has ALOT of potential, having used it on
FreeBSD for a while, it was my favoured one over using the dog slow
OpenOffice.org - sure, it lacked alot of the fancy features, but it did
the job quite nicely.

Matt

whoisthis

In article <pan.2005.04.11.08.20.14.351137@TRACKER>,
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:08:39 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> > Again wrong. *nix is not the be all and end all either.

> I dunno about that.
>
> It does everything I've ever needed it to do as an OS.

So what, windows has done the same, MacOS and OSX have done the same,
hell when it comes down to it in its day CPM did the same for me too.

> And I expect that
> as more and more commercial programmes are ported to Linux to join with
> the plethora of already available Open Source programmes, then an ever
> increasing number of persons will never have a need to use Micro$oft
> software ever again.

See the THAT is the point, ultimately you dont care about anything else
but your anti-microsoft stance.

Sorry, but the rest of us buy the OS, the Apps, etc that work BEST FOR
US, no one actually cares about your religious war you are having with
microsoft.

We use microsoft office at work because it is superior for our needs
than any other cross platform application (Mac/PC), it works well with
endnote, mathtype, and other pluins. More to the point it also works
when articles are submitted for publication, and their needs are 100%
compatability not the sometimes/almost of open office.

Your entire argument boild down to 2 lines

"I like linux"
" I hate microsoft"

Nothing else has any substance.