Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Brasil on LInux/Open Source.....

Brasil on LInux/Open Source.....

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:36:21 +1200, Axle wrote:

> however you
> academics like to profligately waste the public purse on your yuppie
> gadgets at the expense of the taxpayer.

I don't think I could agree with that. Of course everything done in a
University costs the taxpayer something. But a substantial part of the
costs of running a University is provided by course fees. And all courses
have budgets that they are required to stay within.

Bling Bling

--
Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in

Axle

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:26:36 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.04.03.06.03.02.450376@TRACKER>,
> Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > VERY niche, it is one tiny segment of a computer market.

>> LOL - only the vast majority of the Internet running on *nix.
>>

> I note Unix, linux is a subset of unix.

So is OSX

Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

In article <d2nr4c$mae$(E-Mail Removed)>,
-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Edison is another example of science *not* showing a good example for
>OSS, he was extremely predatory with regard to patenting his work and
>had some nasty methods for enforcing them.

And at the same time he was a hypocrite who shamelessly disregarded
other people's property rights. In the final episode of Tom Hanks'
mini-series "From TheEarth To The Moon", he tells the story of George
Méliès' silent-era movie "Le Voyage Dans La Lune", of which Edison made
unauthorized copies which he exhibited in the USA, for a tidy profit,
without paying the original artist a cent.

whoisthis

In article <pan.2005.04.03.06.40.40.644475@TRACKER>,
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:26:36 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> >> LOL - only the vast majority of the Internet running on *nix.

> > I note Unix, linux is a subset of unix.

> True. A very large and rapidly developing subset.

So is OSX.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Axle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:25:35 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> >> So is artwork and music, yet without them the Macintosh would have died
> >> long ago.
> >>

> > Actually we have used Macs in the offices, for chemists,physics,maths,
> > biological sciences for more than 15 years because the best software was
> > available for the Mac.

> Certainly not enough users to sustain the Mac, they would easily have
> converted to PCs
> There are far more PCs in universities than Macintoshes however you
> academics like to profligately waste the public purse on your yuppie
> gadgets at the expense of the taxpayer.

Not at all. Chemdraw was Mac only, Word was Mac only,Clustaw was Mac
only, etc etc etc. Add to that the fact we have had zero downtime for
viruses, or spyware, and right up to Mac OS9 we had FREE software
updates then it worked out cheaper. AND as I keep on stating, staff were
much more productive on Macs and required less support, so over all the
Mac saved the tax payer money.

whoisthis

In article <pan.2005.04.03.06.35.02.420279@TRACKER>,
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:23:42 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> >> Have you used Evolution? Open Office? Audacity? Rosegarden? Firefox?

> > No avilable for OSX, Crashed, no idea, no idea, crashed instantly.

> If that's the case then it sounds like the problem is more to do with your
> computer if so many well tested Open Source programmes crashed on your
> computer.

OR more likely the ports were badly done.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Axle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What a damn stupid statement when Apple derived everything they now sell
> you mugs from open source and open standards

Open standards are hardly new, they have been around for thousands of
years. And no, Apple sells / includes a lot of things that are
proprietry. Hell Apple included networking as standard hardware years
before PCs did and certainly years before linux was around, oh yes, it
was auto discovering too, something thats only just catching on now with
zeroconf.

whoisthis

In article <pan.2005.04.03.06.28.25.601738@TRACKER>,
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:21:42 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> >> Both have the innovation of being very high quality, and very secure.

> > No, that is not innovation, that is simple what is expected.

> But aren't you one of the people who goes around saying that such a thing
> is simply not possible?
>
> Micro$oft's attitude is that of "good enough" rather than "high quality".

Yet my Bosses wife who has a work supplied wintel laptop has run it for
over 3 years with zero crashes, zero viruses,zero spyware.That would
indicate there is some quality there somewhere.

whoisthis

In article <pan.2005.04.03.06.26.35.289698@TRACKER>,
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:21:42 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> > Therein lies the problem, without the likes of Apple, Microsoft and like
> > then linux would stagnate as they would have nothing to copy.

> Actually, Micro$oft has nothing that can or should be copied.
>
> And there were desktops for *nix long before there was Micro$oft Windows.

Oh, Which ?

whoisthis

In article <pan.2005.04.03.06.23.22.145016@TRACKER>,
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:19:45 +1200, whoisthis wrote:
>
> >> But as I said: "... created, *tested* and released within hours ..."

> > LOL, yea right. Proper testing takes days and weeks, not hours.

> Hmmm...
>
> True, and many patches are released after days and weeks of work and
> testing. But SOME patches are released within hours.

Which probably shows how important they are, which demonstrates how
lttle testing had been done before release.