Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Brasil on LInux/Open Source.....

Brasil on LInux/Open Source.....

steve

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/te...computer.html?

(free reg required to see entire article)

Eaxtract (partial):

Brazil: Free Software's Biggest and Best Friend
By TODD BENSON

Published: March 29, 2005

ÃO PAULO, Brazil, March 28 - Since taking office two years ago,
President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva has turned Brazil into a tropical
outpost of the free software movement.

Looking to save millions of dollars in royalties and licensing fees, Mr.
da Silva has instructed government ministries and state-run companies to
gradually switch from costly operating systems made by Microsoft and
others to free operating systems, like Linux. On Mr. da Silva's watch,
Brazil has also become the first country to require any company or
research institute that receives government financing to develop
software to license it as open-source, meaning the underlying software
code must be free to all.

Now Brazil's government looks poised to take its free software campaign
to the masses. And once again Microsoft may end up on the sidelines.

By the end of April, the government plans to roll out a much ballyhooed
program called PC Conectado, or Connected PC, aimed at helping millions
of low-income Brazilians buy their first computers.

"For this program to be viable, it has to be with free software," said
Sérgio Amadeu, president of Brazil's National Institute of Information
Technology, the agency that oversees the government's technology
initiatives. "We're not going to spend taxpayers' money on a program so
that Microsoft can further consolidate its monopoly. It's the
government's responsibility to ensure that there is competition, and
that means giving alternative software platforms a chance to prosper."

Dave - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> On Mr. da Silva's watch,
> Brazil has also become the first country to require any company or
> research institute that receives government financing to develop
> software to license it as open-source, meaning the underlying software
> code must be free to all.

well thats a bit of a pain in the arse...

> "For this program to be viable, it has to be with free software," said
> Sérgio Amadeu, president of Brazil's National Institute of Information
> Technology, the agency that oversees the government's technology
> initiatives. "We're not going to spend taxpayers' money on a program so
> that Microsoft can further consolidate its monopoly. It's the
> government's responsibility to ensure that there is competition, and
> that means giving alternative software platforms a chance to prosper."

heh, the fact that it's free and as good a quality isn't enough... they
need govt interference... hmm, maybe the market doesnt want it?

AD.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:45:10 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> On Mr. da Silva's watch,
>> Brazil has also become the first country to require any company or
>> research institute that receives government financing to develop
>> software to license it as open-source, meaning the underlying software
>> code must be free to all.

> well thats a bit of a pain in the arse...

Why? If the public funds the development, why shouldn't the public have
access to it?

>> "For this program to be viable, it has to be with free software," said
>> Sérgio Amadeu, president of Brazil's National Institute of Information
>> Technology, the agency that oversees the government's technology
>> initiatives. "We're not going to spend taxpayers' money on a program so
>> that Microsoft can further consolidate its monopoly. It's the
>> government's responsibility to ensure that there is competition, and
>> that means giving alternative software platforms a chance to prosper."

> heh, the fact that it's free and as good a quality isn't enough... they
> need govt interference... hmm, maybe the market doesnt want it?

The wider context of that quote was to do with Brazil putting together a
program of inexpensive computers and dial up internet access for the poor.

They felt that the money would be better spent putting linux on those
machines than Windows. They aren't mandating Linux, that's just what they
are bundling with the machines.

Currently the 'market' there for the most part just pirates Windows
anyway, so it is entirely possible that the 'market' would choose more
alternative platforms if they all had to pay for Windows.

--
Cheers
Anton

steve

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>> On Mr. da Silva's watch, Brazil has also become the first country to
>> require any company or research institute that receives government
>> financing to develop software to license it as open-source, meaning
>> the underlying software code must be free to all.

> well thats a bit of a pain in the arse...

>> "For this program to be viable, it has to be with free software," said
>> Sérgio Amadeu, president of Brazil's National Institute of Information
>> Technology, the agency that oversees the government's technology
>> initiatives. "We're not going to spend taxpayers' money on a program
>> so that Microsoft can further consolidate its monopoly. It's the
>> government's responsibility to ensure that there is competition, and
>> that means giving alternative software platforms a chance to prosper."

> heh, the fact that it's free and as good a quality isn't enough... they
> need govt interference... hmm, maybe the market doesnt want it?

Maybe the market never had a real choice.......

If you look around, you'll see humerous things that governments backed
that are ubiquitous today.

Like the Internet.

steve

AD. wrote:

> Currently the 'market' there for the most part just pirates Windows
> anyway, so it is entirely possible that the 'market' would choose more
> alternative platforms if they all had to pay for Windows.

Very true.

Like me. When WinXP made paying for Windows both expansive and
inevitable for all 9 of my systems......I moved all (but one) of them to
Linux.

Gordon

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:28:04 +1200, steve wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/te...computer.html?
>
> (free reg required to see entire article)

Free as in Speech, or Free as in we will tempt your wallet?

Are you trolling?

Has you wallet been tempted? Yet?

Gordon

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:45:10 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> On Mr. da Silva's watch,
>> Brazil has also become the first country to require any company or
>> research institute that receives government financing to develop
>> software to license it as open-source, meaning the underlying software
>> code must be free to all.

> well thats a bit of a pain in the arse...

Yours mate! The code has to be free, as in speech.

After all the development could be from the code which is GPL.

>> "For this program to be viable, it has to be with free software," said
>> Sérgio Amadeu, president of Brazil's National Institute of Information
>> Technology, the agency that oversees the government's technology
>> initiatives. "We're not going to spend taxpayers' money on a program so
>> that Microsoft can further consolidate its monopoly. It's the
>> government's responsibility to ensure that there is competition, and
>> that means giving alternative software platforms a chance to prosper."

> heh, the fact that it's free and as good a quality isn't enough... they
> need govt interference... hmm, maybe the market doesnt want it?

So what in the last ??? years in NZ has the market wanted in NZ?

If the market ruled, then NZ would be really where ever one thinks it
should not be.

Government, democracy, is about balance. Any Kiwi Governemnet messes
somethings up as I see it.

Finally, does Barzil operate under a democracy?

Axle

Gordon wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:28:04 +1200, steve wrote:
>

>>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/te...computer.html?
>>
>>(free reg required to see entire article)
>>

> Free as in Speech, or Free as in we will tempt your wallet?
>
> Are you trolling?
>
> Has you wallet been tempted? Yet?

try bugmenot

Matthew Poole

In article <d2fh6q$oji$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>steve wrote:
>> On Mr. da Silva's watch,
>> Brazil has also become the first country to require any company or
>> research institute that receives government financing to develop
>> software to license it as open-source, meaning the underlying software
>> code must be free to all.

>well thats a bit of a pain in the arse...

*SNIP*

Public funds, public code. What's so wrong with that? If you want to
keep your code closed, find private money to fund its development.
I'm personally unhappy that any tax money goes to using proprietary
software in the public service when there are acceptable open-source
alternatives.
Fine, there's nothing OSS that's up to being the database for most
government departments, but there's no excuse for having Windows and
Office on every desktop.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

C9H8O4

"AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:45:10 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:
>>> On Mr. da Silva's watch,
>>> Brazil has also become the first country to require any company or
>>> research institute that receives government financing to develop
>>> software to license it as open-source, meaning the underlying software
>>> code must be free to all.

>> well thats a bit of a pain in the arse...

> Why? If the public funds the development, why shouldn't the public have
> access to it?

*snip*

Nice idea in theory but the reality is that Brazilian taxpayers will be
funding development which will used by others outside the country. This is
fine assuming Brazilan taxpayers are OK with the concept, I suspect they
might not be. I'm not sure I'd be too happy to see the NZ government funding
software development which then gets handed on a platter to another country
or company to generate an income from.