Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Moz, FF and TB

Moz, FF and TB

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Im moving from Mozilla suite to FF and TB, and was wondering if there is
an easy way to get links that I click on in TB to open in new windows in FF.

Basically what I want is the ease of use of the suite, only with the
seperate programs.

From what I understand I could probably use something like the
tabbrowser extensions to make sure that all links that get sent to FF
open in a new tab, and from there I just have to get all links clicked
in TB to go to FF, but I don't want FF to be set as the default browser,
and there in lies the problem.

So, does anyone know how I can do this?
There doesnt seem to be an extension for TB to do it yet, and Im not
sure on where to ask someone to make one(the task is well above my
coding skills). Pizza and Beer could be paid to willing coders.

Axle

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:52:02 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Im moving from Mozilla suite to FF and TB, and was wondering if there is
> an easy way to get links that I click on in TB to open in new windows in FF.
>
> Basically what I want is the ease of use of the suite, only with the
> seperate programs.
>
> From what I understand I could probably use something like the
> tabbrowser extensions to make sure that all links that get sent to FF
> open in a new tab, and from there I just have to get all links clicked
> in TB to go to FF, but I don't want FF to be set as the default browser,
> and there in lies the problem.
>
> So, does anyone know how I can do this?
> There doesnt seem to be an extension for TB to do it yet, and Im not
> sure on where to ask someone to make one(the task is well above my
> coding skills). Pizza and Beer could be paid to willing coders.

Theres a guide here, I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.bytecave.net/anders/guide...eShooting.html

Open Firefox From Thunderbird As Default Browser

1. Following the instructions earlier for installing an extension not on update.mozila.org (adding the site to the whitelist, etc) Install the extension "about:config" from here
1. Right click the install link and select "save as".
2. Save it to a place you will remember and open up Thunderbird.
3. From the menu, select Tools --> Extensions
4. In the extensions window select "install" from the bottom left
5. This will ask you to point Thunderbird towards the path to the extension ***.xpi, select it and hit "open"
6.
7. A new window will now pop up, (similar to the Firefox install window), it will make you wait two seconds, then select "install" from the bottom right.
8. Restart Thunderbird
2. Now that About:config is installed we have easy access to some of Thunderbird's hidden preferences. So, from the menu go to Tools --> About:config
3. This will take you to a new window, from here create the entries listed below, and add the paths as the values listed.
1. Right click --> new --> string
2. Paste in "network.protocol-handler.app.http" for preference name.
3. Paste in "path/to/Firefox"as the string value
4. add "network.protocol-handler.app.https" with a value of "path/to/Firefox" the same way.

Now if all has gone according to plan when you click on a link in
Thunderbird it should open up firefox.

Allistar

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Im moving from Mozilla suite to FF and TB, and was wondering if there is
> an easy way to get links that I click on in TB to open in new windows in
> FF.
>
> Basically what I want is the ease of use of the suite, only with the
> seperate programs.
>
> From what I understand I could probably use something like the
> tabbrowser extensions to make sure that all links that get sent to FF
> open in a new tab, and from there I just have to get all links clicked
> in TB to go to FF, but I don't want FF to be set as the default browser,
> and there in lies the problem.
>
> So, does anyone know how I can do this?
> There doesnt seem to be an extension for TB to do it yet, and Im not
> sure on where to ask someone to make one(the task is well above my
> coding skills). Pizza and Beer could be paid to willing coders.

You haven't mentioend what operating system you use, but I have found the
script useful under Linux (KDE, should work in other window managers as
well):

#!bin/sh
gnome-moz-remote --remote='openURL('$1', new-tab)' || gnome-moz-remote $1

I used this to open links clicked on from Evolution to go to a new tab in an
open browser window, or to a new window is the browser is not running. This
was for Mozilla, but I'd expect there to be an equivelant for Firefox.

Regards,
Allistar.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Allistar wrote:
> You haven't mentioend what operating system you use, but I have found the
> script useful under Linux (KDE, should work in other window managers as
> well):

yeah sorry, Windows XP pro.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> You haven't mentioend what operating system you use, but I have found the
>> script useful under Linux (KDE, should work in other window managers as
>> well):

> yeah sorry, Windows XP pro.

Solved it with "Launchy" http://gemal.dk/mozilla/launchy.html
It's not ideal, but it'll do.

what it does give me is the option to right click on links, and in the
context menu, theres a "Launchy" menu, which lists all apps that I can
open that sort of link with... the config is all done in XML, so I can
edit it to give me whatever apps I want it to, and make it "aware" of
other apps.

Tim Tam

In FF 10
Tools-Options-Advanced-Tabbed Browsing-Open links from other
applications in:a new window

Tim Tam

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Im moving from Mozilla suite to FF and TB, and was wondering if there is
> an easy way to get links that I click on in TB to open in new windows in
> FF.
>
> Basically what I want is the ease of use of the suite, only with the
> seperate programs.
>
> From what I understand I could probably use something like the
> tabbrowser extensions to make sure that all links that get sent to FF
> open in a new tab, and from there I just have to get all links clicked
> in TB to go to FF, but I don't want FF to be set as the default browser,
> and there in lies the problem.
>
> So, does anyone know how I can do this?
> There doesnt seem to be an extension for TB to do it yet, and Im not
> sure on where to ask someone to make one(the task is well above my
> coding skills). Pizza and Beer could be paid to willing coders.

Gordon

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:03:12 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>> You haven't mentioend what operating system you use, but I have found the
>> script useful under Linux (KDE, should work in other window managers as
>> well):

> yeah sorry, Windows XP pro.

Apology, accepted.

Note, gentel people that Fire Fox, like its Grandparnet Netscape, runs on
many platforms. Please stae yours when posting.