Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > mysql

Reply
Thread Tools

mysql

 
 
Shane (aka froggy)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2005
exim 2 me nil
postfix 1/2 me nil

I keep tripping up on the MYSQL table creation part for implementation
(exim I screwed something up in mailscanner that created an infinite loop,
pretty to watch, not a lot of work got done though)


--

Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence DčOliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Shane (aka froggy)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>exim 2 me nil
>postfix 1/2 me nil
>
>I keep tripping up on the MYSQL table creation part for implementation
>(exim I screwed something up in mailscanner that created an infinite loop,
>pretty to watch, not a lot of work got done though)


I've done lots of MySQL setup, and I even set up a MySQL database for
use with Postfix once (a simple SMTP relay-authentication system).

Whenever I set up a MySQL database, I always start by writing a file
containing the "create table" commands. That, together with comments
explaining what the tables and fields are for, becomes my documentation
for the database. Creating the database is (mostly) a simple matter of
copying and pasting from that file.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shane (aka froggy)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2005
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:45:18 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Shane (aka froggy)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>exim 2 me nil
>>postfix 1/2 me nil
>>
>>I keep tripping up on the MYSQL table creation part for implementation
>>(exim I screwed something up in mailscanner that created an infinite loop,
>>pretty to watch, not a lot of work got done though)

>
> I've done lots of MySQL setup, and I even set up a MySQL database for
> use with Postfix once (a simple SMTP relay-authentication system).
>
> Whenever I set up a MySQL database, I always start by writing a file
> containing the "create table" commands. That, together with comments
> explaining what the tables and fields are for, becomes my documentation
> for the database. Creating the database is (mostly) a simple matter of
> copying and pasting from that file.


heh
the 'how to' ive been using gave me directions for the Database to set up,
when I copied and pasted MySQL politely declined
I have taken the hint and downloaded some pdf's on MySQL (although with
one sitting at ~900 pages I think I bit something big off)
perhaps I will try a different 'how to' instead

--

Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

\|/ ____ \|/
"@'/ ,. \'@"
/__|\__/|__\
\__U_/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2005
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:55:01 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> the 'how to' ive been using gave me directions for the Database to set up,
> when I copied and pasted MySQL politely declined
> I have taken the hint and downloaded some pdf's on MySQL (although with
> one sitting at ~900 pages I think I bit something big off)
> perhaps I will try a different 'how to' instead


Try www.phpmyadmin.net to get yourself started?

Steve
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence DčOliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:55:01 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>
>> the 'how to' ive been using gave me directions for the Database to set up,
>> when I copied and pasted MySQL politely declined
>> I have taken the hint and downloaded some pdf's on MySQL (although with
>> one sitting at ~900 pages I think I bit something big off)
>> perhaps I will try a different 'how to' instead

>
>Try www.phpmyadmin.net to get yourself started?


NO! Not PHP, PLEASE!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence DčOliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Shane (aka froggy)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:45:18 +1200, Lawrence D1Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Shane (aka froggy)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>exim 2 me nil
>>>postfix 1/2 me nil
>>>
>>>I keep tripping up on the MYSQL table creation part for implementation
>>>(exim I screwed something up in mailscanner that created an infinite loop,
>>>pretty to watch, not a lot of work got done though)

>>
>> I've done lots of MySQL setup, and I even set up a MySQL database for
>> use with Postfix once (a simple SMTP relay-authentication system).
>>
>> Whenever I set up a MySQL database, I always start by writing a file
>> containing the "create table" commands. That, together with comments
>> explaining what the tables and fields are for, becomes my documentation
>> for the database. Creating the database is (mostly) a simple matter of
>> copying and pasting from that file.

>
>heh
>the 'how to' ive been using gave me directions for the Database to set up,
>when I copied and pasted MySQL politely declined
>I have taken the hint and downloaded some pdf's on MySQL (although with
>one sitting at ~900 pages I think I bit something big off)
>perhaps I will try a different 'how to' instead


Looking at the last MySQL reference manual I pulled down (dated last
year), there is a MySQL tutorial in chapter 3, and the language
reference in chapters 9 to 13. The latter are the ones I keep coming
back to regularly. The rest you can get to later (optimization,
administration, utility programs) or even ignore altogether if it's not
relevant to you (installation, replication, spatial extensions).

It helps to have some basic grounding in relational database theory. I
never took the database course at University, but I borrowed a friend's
textbook, read the entire relational section, and photocopied the
chapter on normalization.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How to insert PDF file in to MySql and read it from MySql toJAVA App Jeffrey H. Coffield Java 1 07-24-2009 12:29 AM
MySQL-python-1.2.2 install with no mysql washakie Python 4 01-15-2008 08:15 PM
"mysql.h: No such file or directory" when building MySQL-python francescomoi@europe.com Python 2 05-11-2005 03:12 PM
DBD:mysql doesn't read mysql option file /etc/my.cnf file JL Perl 0 01-28-2005 03:19 AM
"Pure Python" MySQL module like Net::MySQL Ravi Python 6 07-21-2003 06:53 PM



Advertisments