Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Insanity by Dell

Insanity by Dell

Collector»NZ

Ok ay I have what the bios id's as a Dell CPt-V400CT using an ESS
Maestro 2E audio.

Now I have been to good old dell and found the Audio driver there for
the installed OS (W2K)

It doesnt want to install, neither do any other ESS Maestro 2E drivers i
have found.
Now it used to work, in fact the failed Audio was the whole reason for a
reload.

Any ideas from you Dell experts out there.

Impossible

"Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Ok ay I have what the bios id's as a Dell CPt-V400CT using an ESS
> Maestro 2E audio.
>
> Now I have been to good old dell and found the Audio driver there
> for the installed OS (W2K)

Is this the driver file you got:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...4&fileid=35420

Release date: 10/04/2001

> It doesnt want to install, neither do any other ESS Maestro 2E
> drivers i have found.

What do you mean "doesn't want to install"? Do you get an error
message or what?

> Now it used to work, in fact the failed Audio was the whole reason
> for a reload.

Can you see the audio card in Device Manager? Have you tried
uninstalling the driver and then rebooting and reinstalling?

> Any ideas from you Dell experts out there.

Is this relevant to you?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en&s=dhs&cs=19

Collector»NZ

Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:
> "Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Ok ay I have what the bios id's as a Dell CPt-V400CT using an ESS
>>Maestro 2E audio.
>>
>>Now I have been to good old dell and found the Audio driver there
>>for the installed OS (W2K)

> Is this the driver file you got:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...4&fileid=35420
>
> Release date: 10/04/2001

Yep

>>It doesnt want to install, neither do any other ESS Maestro 2E
>>drivers i have found.

No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
expanded driver files

> What do you mean "doesn't want to install"? Do you get an error
> message or what?
>

>>Now it used to work, in fact the failed Audio was the whole reason
>>for a reload.

> Can you see the audio card in Device Manager? Have you tried
> uninstalling the driver and then rebooting and reinstalling?

Have removed it and reinstalled it several times each time it redetects
it as a device but wont accept the drivers I offer it or find any
alternatives

>>Any ideas from you Dell experts out there.
>>

> Is this relevant to you?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...en&s=dhs&cs=19

No docking station involved and since it wont install any drivers no
volume control etc available.

Given up fiddling for the moment will go back to it later and see what
else Ican come up with.

In article <42460790$1_2@127.0.0.1>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Ok ay I have what the bios id's as a Dell CPt-V400CT using an ESS
> Maestro 2E audio.
>
> Now I have been to good old dell and found the Audio driver there for
> the installed OS (W2K)
>
> It doesnt want to install, neither do any other ESS Maestro 2E drivers i
> have found.
> Now it used to work, in fact the failed Audio was the whole reason for a
> reload.
>
> Any ideas from you Dell experts out there.

Try their bangalore based "tech support" that's why you spent extra on a
name brand right?

"Thank you, come again."

D.

Me

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:00:26 +1200, Collector»NZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:

>No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
>expanded driver files

Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?

Collector»NZ

Me said the following on 28/03/2005 5:08 p.m.:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:00:26 +1200, Collector»NZ
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:

>>No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
>>expanded driver files

> Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?

Yep went there as well got an error (very short) that I didnt record.

Enkidu

Me wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:00:26 +1200, Collector»NZ
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:

>>No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
>>expanded driver files

> Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?

There should be a file called <something>.inf somewhere in
the expanded driver files. At least, this is true in most
cases that I come across.

Cheers,

Cliff

> Me said the following on 28/03/2005 5:08 p.m.:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:00:26 +1200, Collector»NZ
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Impossible said the following on 28/03/2005 9:39 a.m.:

>>>No driver found at that location when I point the installer to the
>>>expanded driver files

>> Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?
>>

> Yep went there as well got an error (very short) that I didnt
> record.

Ignore the Windows driver installation "wizards". Just run the
setup.exe program that came with the driver files you downloaded.

Collector»NZ

Impossible said the following on 29/03/2005 6:37 a.m.:
> "Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Me said the following on 28/03/2005 5:08 p.m.:

>>>Is there an setup.exe or such to install the driver?
>>>

>>Yep went there as well got an error (very short) that I didnt
>>record.
>>

> Ignore the Windows driver installation "wizards". Just run the
> setup.exe program that came with the driver files you downloaded.

Been there done that get an error which I didnt record, but it was veru
brief.

Resorting to a Linux boot rom to check out the hardware side, though
that is a stretch since the OS detects the hardware.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Resorting to a Linux boot rom to check out the hardware side, though
> that is a stretch since the OS detects the hardware.

Dell have their own boot CD diags, very good in my experience.