Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > phishing???

phishing???

Steve

Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?

Steve

https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

Steve

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:58:24 +1200, Steve wrote:

> Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
> phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?
>
> Steve
>
> https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

Sorry, dumped it to a text file, and it seems to be sending me to
218.57.129.20 to update my details.

Interestingly, this ip address is owned by those responsible people at

person: Data Communication Bureau Shandong
nic-hdl: DS95-AP
e-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
address: No.77 Jingsan Road,Jinan,Shandong,P.R.China
phone: +86-531-6052611
fax-no: +86-531-6052414
country: CN
changed: (E-Mail Removed) 20050128
mnt-by: MAINT-CNCGROUP-SD
source: APNIC

(Not that I've got a paypal account anyway )

texan.usenet...@texas.usa.removethisbit...com

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:58:24 +1200, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
>phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?
>
>Steve
>
>https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

There's so many phising around now it's not funny.

Didn't know I had so many bank accounts with such a wide range of
banks - and Paypal ! [NOT].

I had one few days ago where I allegedly had requested a change in my
MSN.net password!

Sidetracking:
Got a new version of the need your assistance to claim loads of dosh
yesterday.
Very short compared to the others and gave two telephone numbers - I
bet they are ones that capture your phone number for their purposes.

But, the biggest laugh of all was the sender attached a pix of
'himself' - very healthy looking guy 'hooked up' to iv's and monitors
sitting in a chair at his laptop...

Spamcop traced it back to Italy.

Cath

Gib Bogle

Steve wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:58:24 +1200, Steve wrote:
>

>>Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
>>phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?
>>
>>Steve
>>
>>https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

> Sorry, dumped it to a text file, and it seems to be sending me to
> 218.57.129.20 to update my details.

I looked at the source code, and can't see that address. I do see
https://102.112.2O7.net/.....
where interestingly the 2O7 is actually 2o7 (uppercase "o", i.e. "O",
looks a lot like "0"). I wonder what the point is.

I know nothing about all this stuff, but the page https://www.paypal.com
is the same one that you get to from the EBay site. So where does the
fake depart from the real one?

Gib

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, Steve sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> Just received this url, and can't for the life of me see if it's a
> phishing attack or not. What do you lot reckon?
>
> Steve
>
> https://www.paypal.com/us/PREFS-NOTI

I reckon that is a very tricky piece of phishing. There is pretty much
no way to tell it is not genuine, since it is on the Paypal site,
without knowing how their site structure works - I'm guessing it is a
hosted site somehow???

But, they made one mistake, using "Forget" instead of "Forgot"...

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, Aaron Lawrence sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> I reckon that is a very tricky piece of phishing. There is pretty much
> no way to tell it is not genuine, since it is on the Paypal site,
> without knowing how their site structure works - I'm guessing it is a
> hosted site somehow???
>
> But, they made one mistake, using "Forget" instead of "Forgot"...

I changed my mind. That must be a genuine paypal page, just with a
mistake on it...

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

Gordon

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:23:07 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> Suddenly, Aaron Lawrence sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
>> I reckon that is a very tricky piece of phishing. There is pretty much
>> no way to tell it is not genuine, since it is on the Paypal site,
>> without knowing how their site structure works - I'm guessing it is a
>> hosted site somehow???
>>
>> But, they made one mistake, using "Forget" instead of "Forgot"...

> I changed my mind. That must be a genuine paypal page, just with a
> mistake on it...

So has you wallet been reeled in?