Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux for Pentium 100

Linux for Pentium 100

El Penguino

Hi peeps,

I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
first time.

What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.

Cheers,
Chris

Shane (aka froggy)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:

> Hi peeps,
>
> I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
> SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
> first time.
>
> What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
> Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
> the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
> linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

the current 'flavour of the month(s)' for newbies is xandros
its debian based so comes with excellent credentials
Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
packages make life unnecessarily difficult
Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
*nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)
Most people find linux daunting to begin with, but soon enough discover
why it is so popular.
If its a hardware RAID array it should appear invisible to the OS (AFAIK)
HTH

Steve

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
>

>>Hi peeps,
>>
>>I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
>>SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
>>first time.
>>
>>What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
>>Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
>>the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
>>linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Chris

> the current 'flavour of the month(s)' for newbies is xandros
> its debian based so comes with excellent credentials
> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
> packages make life unnecessarily difficult
> Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
> relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
> *nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)
> Most people find linux daunting to begin with, but soon enough discover
> why it is so popular.
> If its a hardware RAID array it should appear invisible to the OS (AFAIK)
> HTH

.... except that there's no way that you'll be able to run anything
except a text-based version of Linux on this hardware. Because of that,
I'd use straight debian.

However, without any graphics at all, this will give you a very skewed
version of where linux is currently at.

And *don't* learn linux on Slackware, whatever you do! There are just
too many things that are done differently to most mainstream distros,
and only for perversity's sake as far as I can see.

$0.02,

Steve

Shane (aka froggy)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:47:48 +1200, Steve wrote:

> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
>>

>>>Hi peeps,
>>>
>>>I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
>>>SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
>>>first time.
>>>
>>>What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
>>>Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
>>>the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
>>>linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Chris

>> the current 'flavour of the month(s)' for newbies is xandros
>> its debian based so comes with excellent credentials
>> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
>> packages make life unnecessarily difficult
>> Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
>> relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
>> *nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)
>> Most people find linux daunting to begin with, but soon enough discover
>> why it is so popular.
>> If its a hardware RAID array it should appear invisible to the OS (AFAIK)
>> HTH

> ... except that there's no way that you'll be able to run anything
> except a text-based version of Linux on this hardware. Because of that,
> I'd use straight debian.
>
> However, without any graphics at all, this will give you a very skewed
> version of where linux is currently at.
>
> And *don't* learn linux on Slackware, whatever you do! There are just
> too many things that are done differently to most mainstream distros,
> and only for perversity's sake as far as I can see.
>
> $0.02,
>

> Steve

er sh*t, right you are the 100 MHz proc and 48 MB of RAM does make GUI's a
PITA
can I revoke my previous post and say debian or slackware with an sshd
interface

\|/ ____ \|/
"@'/ ,. \'@"
/__|\__/|__\
\__U_/

Dave Taylor

El Penguino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi peeps,
>
> I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
> SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
> first time.
>
> What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
> Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
> the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
> linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Sounds like one of the old HP servers. Big, noisy and heavy.
You don't say what video card.
You could make it a small server/gateway?
Check out contribs.org

--
Ciao, Dave

Mackin

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:

<snip>

> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
> packages make life unnecessarily difficult

Why do you say this? I've been using Mandrake for about 3 years now and
I've never found any problem with the URPMI package management system. I'm
intrigued to know why you feel it makes life "unnecessarily difficult"

Mackin.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:17:34 +1200, Mackin wrote:

> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>
>> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
>> packages make life unnecessarily difficult

> Why do you say this? I've been using Mandrake for about 3 years now and
> I've never found any problem with the URPMI package management system. I'm
> intrigued to know why you feel it makes life "unnecessarily difficult"
>
> Mackin.

when I tried it it meant rpms, tarballs, and other package systems were
more than a PITA
this becomes an extreme problem for packages not yet put into mdk
it could also be said this is an issue with debian and .deb packages

\|/ ____ \|/
"@'/ ,. \'@"
/__|\__/|__\
\__U_/

Mackin

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:17:34 +1200, Mackin wrote:
>
>> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
>>> packages make life unnecessarily difficult

>> Why do you say this? I've been using Mandrake for about 3 years now and
>> I've never found any problem with the URPMI package management system.
>> I'm intrigued to know why you feel it makes life "unnecessarily
>> difficult"
>>
>> Mackin.

> when I tried it it meant rpms, tarballs, and other package systems were
> more than a PITA
> this becomes an extreme problem for packages not yet put into mdk
> it could also be said this is an issue with debian and .deb packages

Hmmm, interesting. I've never had any problem with non-mdk packages,
although I must admit to not having installed a hell of a lot of them.
Most everything I need to available in a mdk package.

I guess YMMV is true for everyone.

Cheers,
Mackin.

El Penguino

On 25 Mar 2005 14:12:10 +1200, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sounds like one of the old HP servers. Big, noisy and heavy.
>You don't say what video card.
>You could make it a small server/gateway?
>Check out contribs.org

it is certainly big and heavy. I don't actually remember what brand it
is, but it is one of the big names. It has a HUGE card to do the RAID
, almost A4 size , and on-board S3 chipset ( I think) to do the video.
The 4 HDDs are in hot-swappable slots behind a fold out front panel.
Only 1 GB each, so I won't be able to serve much.

It has a network card and SCSI tape and CD-ROM drives.
I don't know exactly what i want to do with it either, thought I might
play around with writing programs in C and see if I can get them to
talk to micro-controllers out the ports.

Cheers,
Chris

Dave - Dave.net.nz

El Penguino wrote:
> What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?

ummm, I'd recommend nothing recent...

Try to find an older distro from ~ that age, although personally I'd
flag it and grab a P3 1Ghz for ~$200 as it would be a lot easier, and
you could use all of todays distros.