Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Considering migrating from ME to XP Professional...Opinions & "Gotcha's" please

Considering migrating from ME to XP Professional...Opinions & "Gotcha's" please

Southern Kiwi

Scenario......

One Laptop on 2000pro, rock solid everything ok.
Desktop on ME, slightly flaky.

I have them networked wirelessly, but ICS is a pain.

I am considering going to XPPRO on the desktop ($150 upgrade), mainly to
improve my networking as well as using it as an excuse for a bloody good
clean out.

What do you think?

As another thought can I use ICS and have both machines as the server so
that whatever machine is currently connected to the net, the other will use
that connection? Or does one have to be set up as the server?

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

David Preece

No ****.

> I am considering going to XPPRO on the desktop ($150 upgrade), mainly to
> improve my networking as well as using it as an excuse for a bloody good
> clean out.
>
> What do you think?

Bout f'n time, that's what.

> As another thought can I use ICS and have both machines as the server so
> that whatever machine is currently connected to the net, the other will use
> that connection? Or does one have to be set up as the server?

You'd be better off setting one up as the server. The best option of all
is to have a hardware firewall/address translator and just hook them
both into that.

Dave

Mackin

Southern Kiwi wrote:

> Scenario......
>
> One Laptop on 2000pro, rock solid everything ok.
> Desktop on ME, slightly flaky.
>
> I have them networked wirelessly, but ICS is a pain.
>
> I am considering going to XPPRO on the desktop ($150 upgrade), mainly to
> improve my networking as well as using it as an excuse for a bloody good
> clean out.
>
> What do you think?
>
> As another thought can I use ICS and have both machines as the server so
> that whatever machine is currently connected to the net, the other will
> use that connection? Or does one have to be set up as the server?

XP is a much better OS than Me. But what are the specs of the Me machine?
Does it have enough RAM for XP? XP can be a PITA if the machine is low on
RAM.

Mackin

Dave Taylor

Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:EIS%d.11866$(E-Mail Removed):

> XP is a much better OS than Me. But what are the specs of the Me
> machine? Does it have enough RAM for XP? XP can be a PITA if the
> machine is low on RAM.
>
> Mackin

Exactly.

Just make the ME box a m0n0wall or IPcop or something. Maybe Contribs.org?

--
Ciao, Dave

Southern Kiwi

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9621EB4888168daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:EIS%d.11866$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > XP is a much better OS than Me. But what are the specs of the Me
> > machine? Does it have enough RAM for XP? XP can be a PITA if the
> > machine is low on RAM.

> Exactly.
> Just make the ME box a m0n0wall or IPcop or something. Maybe

Contribs.org?

128mb RAM, enough?
--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi
southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...

Dave Taylor

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
news:4241bd41$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9621EB4888168daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
>> Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:EIS%d.11866$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > XP is a much better OS than Me. But what are the specs of the Me
>> > machine? Does it have enough RAM for XP? XP can be a PITA if the
>> > machine is low on RAM.

>> Exactly.
>> Just make the ME box a m0n0wall or IPcop or something. Maybe

> Contribs.org?
>>

> 128mb RAM, enough?

128 megs of ram for an XP box that does nothing but ICS, yes. But if it
is just going to sit there, use another OS...
It will be painful to use XP with 128.
Try it and see. Blackviper services guide can do wonders, like get XP
down to 70 megs, but then you need to add in all the other stuff that
actually makes for a useful, safer, windows machine and you are back with
a slow machine that needs more RAM.
--
Ciao, Dave

considering MCSD Marvin Palmer MCSD 6 12-22-2004 02:50 AM
Considering broadvoice, what hardware to buy ? Rein VOIP 2 10-14-2004 07:26 PM
Two basic questions considering Swing gajo Java 2 08-20-2004 08:35 PM
I'm considering buying a new motherboard/processor combo for faster synthesis Randy Thelen VHDL 9 04-17-2004 05:01 PM
Considering creating a Java GUI... Tyler Java 2 11-28-2003 06:05 PM

Advertisments