Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > yahoo groups help anyone?

yahoo groups help anyone?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
someone whack me with a clue stick.

severe beating accepted if warranted.

paora

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:40:37 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
>group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
>subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
>asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
>do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
>someone whack me with a clue stick.
>
>severe beating accepted if warranted.

Did you already have a yahoo ID of some sort - a free email account?
Did you create a new one?

I can't see how you can join a group without already having an ID or
signing up for a new one.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
>group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
>subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
>asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
>do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
>someone whack me with a clue stick.
>
>severe beating accepted if warranted.

Did you already have a yahoo ID of some sort - a free email account?
Did you create a new one?

I can't see how you can join a group without already having an ID or
signing up for a new one.

When you sign up for a yahoo ID you create your own logon/password.

Thor

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
> group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
> subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
> asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
> do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
> someone whack me with a clue stick.
>
> severe beating accepted if warranted.

Basically you need either to get a yahoo id and link your email address to
it or just pop the mailing list. If you joined with an email address that
uses a pop server that is.

--
*~~~~~~~~~~~~Thor

Dave - Dave.net.nz

paora wrote:
>>ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
>>group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
>>subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
>>asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
>>do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
>>someone whack me with a clue stick.
>>severe beating accepted if warranted.

> Did you already have a yahoo ID of some sort - a free email account?
> Did you create a new one?
> I can't see how you can join a group without already having an ID or
> signing up for a new one.

they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
is a yahoo logon.

I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
anywhere what to do.

Thor

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> paora wrote:
>
> they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
> owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
> said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
> preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
> is a yahoo logon.
>
> I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
> anywhere what to do.

Easiest way is to email http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

subscribe as subject and in body of message

Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
use your real one.

--
*~~~~~~~~~~~~Thor

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Thor wrote:
>>they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
>>owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
>>said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
>>preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
>>is a yahoo logon.

>>I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
>>anywhere what to do.

> Easiest way is to email (E-Mail Removed)
> subscribe as subject and in body of message
> Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
> use your real one.

yeah thanks, Im just about to do that...

<gloat>
ahh, Otago anniversary day... got to love a long weekend, followed by a
short week, followed by a long weekend, followed by a short week.
</gloat>

Rob J

In article <d1kqjq$g8i$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 21 Mar
2005 09:40:17 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> paora wrote:
> >>ok well, I wanted some info, and it seems that these people run a yahoo
> >>group thing to do their mailing list... I subscribed, and activated my
> >>subscription, but if I go back to their (yahoo.com based) website, it
> >>asks me to sign in... but I havent been allocated a logon/password, so
> >>do I just have to create a fake one to see how it works, or could
> >>someone whack me with a clue stick.
> >>severe beating accepted if warranted.

> > Did you already have a yahoo ID of some sort - a free email account?
> > Did you create a new one?
> > I can't see how you can join a group without already having an ID or
> > signing up for a new one.

> they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
> owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
> said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
> preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
> is a yahoo logon.
>
> I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
> anywhere what to do.

To get a Yahoo ID you sign on at the Yahoo Groups homepage. Then once you
have one, you can either join a group on its webpage, or link your email
address to the Yahoo ID.

Signing on by email only is still supported, but most people don't bother
with it as they miss out on access to all the useful web based features.

Rob J

In article <uem%d.11298$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon,
21 Mar 2005 09:50:18 +1200, Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
> > paora wrote:
> >
> > they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
> > owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
> > said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
> > preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
> > is a yahoo logon.
> >
> > I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
> > anywhere what to do.

> Easiest way is to email (E-Mail Removed)
>
> subscribe as subject and in body of message
>
> Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
> use your real one.

NO!

This gives you the Yahoo ID and password that you need to access the
Yahoo groups website.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <uem%d.11298$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon,
>21 Mar 2005 09:50:18 +1200, Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>
>> > paora wrote:
>> >
>> > they had a subscribe link on their website, which sent an email to the
>> > owner of the group, it replied with an "are you sure" email, to which I
>> > said yep, they then emailed me a link to a page to change
>> > preferences(yahoo.com/listname) to which I visited, and all it asks for
>> > is a yahoo logon.
>> >
>> > I've re-read through the initial signup thing and it doesnt mention
>> > anywhere what to do.

>> Easiest way is to email (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> subscribe as subject and in body of message
>>
>> Then do it via email, use a gmail account or similar if you don't want to
>> use your real one.

>NO!
>This gives you the Yahoo ID and password that you need to access the
>Yahoo groups website.

Disagree. If you only want to access a yahoo groups email list then email is
the easiest way. At least it is for me.
I've been dropped once (in about a year) ... but apparently that "just
happens" sometimes. Resubscribing is easy - by email of course

Bruce

(if there were any)

need help while designing yahoo messenger like yahoo and msn , like on meebo.com checoo C++ 1 12-25-2006 03:19 PM
need help while designing yahoo messenger like yahoo and msn , like on meebo.com checoo C++ 0 12-25-2006 02:33 PM
Groups of groups with PIX. AM Cisco 2 01-31-2006 04:37 PM
Windows groups, VPN groups, and SecureACS John Sasso Cisco 0 10-02-2004 03:39 PM
Reading membership of groups (including nested groups) Petra Hübner ASP .Net 0 02-16-2004 07:07 PM

Advertisments