Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox user share continues to grow.....

Firefox user share continues to grow.....

steve

http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=159902316

Firefox Eats More Microsoft Market Share
March 18, 2005

Market share for the open-source Mozilla Firefox climbed above 6% in
February, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer share dropped below 90%.

By Thomas Claburn
InformationWeek

Firefox continues to steal market share from Microsoft Internet
Explorer, according to Net Applications, a maker of Web-monitoring
software. According to the company's February figures, use of Firefox
rose to 6.17% from 5.59% in January.

Firefox's gain comes at the expense of Internet Explorer, which dropped
to 89.04% market share, from 90.31% in December. Net Applications
reports that other browsers maintained their user base.

"Firefox is currently the only browser that is increasing market share
on a monthly basis, and it is growing at the direct expense of
Microsoft's Internet Explorer," Net Applications CEO Dan Shapero said in
a statement.

Microsoft is taking steps to stanch defections. Last month in San
Francisco at the RSA Conference, Bill Gates said Internet Explorer 7.0
will be released in beta form this summer. The company claims its
updated browser will offer better protections against phishing,
malicious software, and spyware.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> Market share for the open-source Mozilla Firefox climbed above 6% in
> February, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer share dropped below 90%.

I know that the stats for individual sites is thrown around a bit in
these sorts of discussions, but does anyone know what mozilla.orgs stats
are?

I just thought that it may be interesting from a "90% of visitors who
download mozilla do so using IE" or whatever...

I've had a look around their site, and can't see anything, although Im
not entirely sure where to look.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=159902316
>
> Firefox Eats More Microsoft Market Share
> March 18, 2005
>
> Market share for the open-source Mozilla Firefox climbed above 6% in
> February, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer share dropped below 90%.

Yea, well on the Mac side, Microsoft lost so badly (ie they have about
10% share) they no longer support IE.

Axle

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:19:25 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=159902316
>>
>> Firefox Eats More Microsoft Market Share
>> March 18, 2005
>>
>> Market share for the open-source Mozilla Firefox climbed above 6% in
>> February, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer share dropped below 90%.
>>

> Yea, well on the Mac side, Microsoft lost so badly (ie they have about
> 10% share) they no longer support IE.

Which confirms that the OS bundling a default browser has the biggest
effect on browser use stats, as you would expect.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon,
21 Mar 2005 08:19:25 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=159902316
> >
> > Firefox Eats More Microsoft Market Share
> > March 18, 2005
> >
> > Market share for the open-source Mozilla Firefox climbed above 6% in
> > February, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer share dropped below 90%.
> >

> Yea, well on the Mac side, Microsoft lost so badly (ie they have about
> 10% share) they no longer support IE.

Of course, the Mac has only something like 5% of the desktop market

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Axle wrote:
>>Yea, well on the Mac side, Microsoft lost so badly (ie they have about
>>10% share) they no longer support IE.

> Which confirms that the OS bundling a default browser has the biggest
> effect on browser use stats, as you would expect.

Man... Ms should sue Apple for being anti-competitive

steve

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=159902316
>>
>>Firefox Eats More Microsoft Market Share
>>March 18, 2005
>>
>>Market share for the open-source Mozilla Firefox climbed above 6% in
>>February, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer share dropped below 90%.

> Yea, well on the Mac side, Microsoft lost so badly (ie they have about
> 10% share) they no longer support IE.

That's not the only reason.

Apple created the Safari web browser for MacOS X.....so Microsoft
dropped MS IE for Mac.

whoisthis

In article <d1kqok$g8i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Axle wrote:
> >>Yea, well on the Mac side, Microsoft lost so badly (ie they have about
> >>10% share) they no longer support IE.

> > Which confirms that the OS bundling a default browser has the biggest
> > effect on browser use stats, as you would expect.

> Man... Ms should sue Apple for being anti-competitive

How, I can get Safari and dump it...easy, its not part of the OS, its an
App that supplied with the OS.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

whoisthis wrote:
>>>Which confirms that the OS bundling a default browser has the biggest
>>>effect on browser use stats, as you would expect.

>>Man... Ms should sue Apple for being anti-competitive

> How, I can get Safari and dump it...easy, its not part of the OS, its an
> App that supplied with the OS.

so is IE, look up the makers of 98lite

Axle

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Axle wrote:
>
>>> Yea, well on the Mac side, Microsoft lost so badly (ie they have
>>> about 10% share) they no longer support IE.

>> Which confirms that the OS bundling a default browser has the biggest
>> effect on browser use stats, as you would expect.

> Man... Ms should sue Apple for being anti-competitive

Well there is this theory that Internet Exploder is popular because its
a better browser

And that PCs are more popular than Macs because they are better 'puters