Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS is a worry

MS is a worry

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector»NZ wrote:
> As to trashing the system, well thats windows lousy software
> installation and removal system on a dev machine. It is pathetic at
> removing all components of installs, hell the registry gets a **** load
> of unneeded and unwanted stuff in it.

also, once it is setup with a patches applied etc, ghost it, then it'll
save you time next time you have to do it.

steven

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:22:29 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

> Peter S said the following on 20/03/2005 12:42 a.m.:
>> "Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
>>>requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
>>>as you use it. (And misuse it)
>>>
>>>Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update and
>>>gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
>>>
>>>41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
>>>8 Windows updates total 45MB
>>>In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.
>>>
>>>What a **** load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
>>>released a new update ROM

>> Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
>> developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
>> SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I installed
>> Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install. It
>> is bloody stable.
>>
>> I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
>> hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
>> little more carefully. I don't think you can blame Microsoft for not
>> releasing patch disks, as in the environment I am in with full geek
>> developers running 2000 and XP randomly installing stuff off the net they
>> don't break the environment and don't worry about having to reinstall.
>>
>> Perhaps better would be when you download the patches to write them to a CD
>> as it would seem you have to reuse them fairly often, then just access any
>> extras using Win Update.
>>
>> Pete.
>>

> Have you checked the registry for all the **** that gets left behind by
> crappy uninstallers not to mention files and directories.
> I reload about every 8-12 months.

i never bothered looking

if it is that concerning then run some third party (un)installer software
to remove all traces of ****-ware off your machine.

> I test lot of different and sometimes very esoteric software for the
> many sites i support and it just bogs the machine eventually.

one word - VMWare

seriously, as a developer either VMWare or Virtual PC should be in your
tool kit.

> Have you ever tried to track down the appropiate downloads on MS site to
> download and burn to CD, hell it would take almost as long as the
> download form windows update.

then install hfnetcheckpro (you can get a free ed) on a server and handle
client patches from there.

> Hell we pay for the product then we have
> to spend a lot of time fixing with patches from MS.

i didnt pay for any of the linux distro's i have yet i still have to spend
a hell of a lot more time dealing with the dependancy hell that comes with
it.

--
-------------------------------------
Steven H (.net geek)

Peter S

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <423c104b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Peter S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
>>developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
>>SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I
>>installed
>>Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install.
>>It
>>is bloody stable.
>>
>>I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
>>hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
>>little more carefully.

> Make up your mind. Either Windows is robust in being able to cope with
> all kinds of software and hardware installs, or it's not. In the first
> paragraph you boast that it is with the stuff that you use, and then in
> the second you admit that maybe it's not with the stuff the OP uses.

Windows has to open itself up to drivers. There is no way to avoid it.
Unfortunately, even though it would appear Microsoft have put in measures
that warn about having verified drivers, the drivers for third party cheap
hardware are usually knocked up somewhere by some amateurs on the cheap, and
the installation instructions contain directions on how to ignore the
Microsoft warnings. We bring it on ourselves really for buying cheap
hardware rather than quality hardware.

As for third party software, the number of registry cleaners, Windows XP
tweakers, Beta software that disclaim warranty, free software that is
released as soon as it is written rather than after it is tested (overnight
builds are obvious targets here that people install), Adware removers that
just cut wide swathes through the registry - (of course the adware will get
removed!) and people then blame Microsoft for their system going awry and
expect them to compensate??? Ha!!! Again, its worth only installing tested,
reliable software - this always costs time OR money.

Pete.

Axle

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:35:19 +1200, steven wrote:

> i didnt pay for any of the linux distro's i have yet i still have to spend
> a hell of a lot more time dealing with the dependancy hell that comes with
> it.

Upgrade to Debian and you will find that a thing of the past.

Collector»NZ

steven said the following on 20/03/2005 10:35 a.m.:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:22:29 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
>

>>Peter S said the following on 20/03/2005 12:42 a.m.:
>>
>>>"Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
>>>developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
>>>SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I installed
>>>Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install. It
>>>is bloody stable.
>>>
>>>I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
>>>hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
>>>little more carefully. I don't think you can blame Microsoft for not
>>>releasing patch disks, as in the environment I am in with full geek
>>>developers running 2000 and XP randomly installing stuff off the net they
>>>don't break the environment and don't worry about having to reinstall.
>>>
>>>Perhaps better would be when you download the patches to write them to a CD
>>>as it would seem you have to reuse them fairly often, then just access any
>>>extras using Win Update.
>>>
>>>Pete.
>>>

>>Have you checked the registry for all the **** that gets left behind by
>>crappy uninstallers not to mention files and directories.
>>I reload about every 8-12 months.

> i never bothered looking
>
> if it is that concerning then run some third party (un)installer software
> to remove all traces of ****-ware off your machine.
>

>>I test lot of different and sometimes very esoteric software for the
>>many sites i support and it just bogs the machine eventually.

> one word - VMWare
>
> seriously, as a developer either VMWare or Virtual PC should be in your
> tool kit.

I have Virtual PC (Connectix) on board, Win 3.11, Win95, Win 98se, Win
2k (several copies) Win Xp home and pro, Xandros, and several other
flavours of Linux. (hehe Notice no Windows ME at all, biggest **** heap
OS every turned out)
I am not a developer, I just have to check suitability for purpose,
security and stability of a **** load of applications, some commercial
and some not, some suitable for testing in a Virtual Machine some not.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Peter

Axle wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:35:19 +1200, steven wrote:
>> i didnt pay for any of the linux distro's i have yet i still have to
>> spend a hell of a lot more time dealing with the dependancy hell that
>> comes with it.

> Upgrade to Debian and you will find that a thing of the past.

or Mandrake (urpmi) or Suse (yast) ...

there are several to choose from

Peter

Axle

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:07:18 +1200, Peter wrote:

> Axle wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:35:19 +1200, steven wrote:
>>> i didnt pay for any of the linux distro's i have yet i still have to
>>> spend a hell of a lot more time dealing with the dependancy hell that
>>> comes with it.

>> Upgrade to Debian and you will find that a thing of the past.

> or Mandrake (urpmi) or Suse (yast) ...
>
> there are several to choose from
>

> Peter

Of course.
OP probably doesn't actually use any linux.

Collector»NZ

Axle said the following on 20/03/2005 11:27 a.m.:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:07:18 +1200, Peter wrote:
>

>>Axle wrote:

>>>Upgrade to Debian and you will find that a thing of the past.

>>or Mandrake (urpmi) or Suse (yast) ...
>>
>>there are several to choose from
>>

>>Peter

> Of course.
> OP probably doesn't actually use any linux.

Guess again

Enkidu

The Other Guy wrote:

> I believe XP is a stinking pile of ****....

Why? I've been using it for what seems like centuries and it
goes OK. Never defragged it or re-installed. In fact, I
still have it on a D: partition because NT/2000 used to be
on the C: drive!

Cheers,

Cliff

Gavin Tunney

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:53:07 +1300, Collector»NZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
>requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
>as you use it. (And misuse it)
>
>Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
>and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
>
>41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
>8 Windows updates total 45MB
>In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.
>
>What a **** load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
>released a new update ROM

Fair comment IMO. MS's security update CDs really do make life a lot
easier, until they get out of date. It would be nice if they put some
ISOs up for download on a regular basis... say every time there's more
than 10-20mb of new updates. ISOs spread pretty quick in my
experience, I'm sure most of us here are the same & give away copies
of the update CDs to others who don't have broadband to download their
own. Installing 2k & then running the update CD is a breeze compared
to Windows update.

Cheers

Gavin