Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS is a worry

MS is a worry

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>heh, nice, but seriously, anyone know?

>> Considered an enterprise by which person or group ?? Once you have that
>> narrowed down, you can simply ask that person or group

>I just figured that maybe there is a generic "companies of x
>employees/computers is an enterprise class company" or something.

According to ... ? IRD ? I think they rate you according to how much your
payroll is
Red hat ? ... if you buy the enterprise edition you must be an enterprise ?

Bruce

-------------------------------------

- George Bernard Shaw

(if there were any)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>AD. wrote:
>> Actually that reminds me of a quote from Joel on software pricing:
>>
>> (4) With software sold in corporations, as soon as your price gets up in
>> the $3000 level, the amount of approval it needs is so absurd that you
>> are not going to sell products without a salesperson making a few visits.
>> Hiring the salesperson, sending them out to make presentations, hotels,
>> airfare -- now it costs $50,000 to get the sale done just in sales
>> closing costs. That's why you see a lot of software products at $100,000
>> and a lot under $3000, but anywhere in-between and it's impossible to
>> make sales. (It's sort of funny -- these big corporations create so much
>> bureaucracy around purchasing in order to protect themselves against
>> losing money, but they just force the vendors to spend a fortune on
>> salesforces, which results in vastly higher prices for the big
>> corporations).
>>

> http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/...1389&ixReplies
>=7
>
>another one to add to that is that if there are two products claiming to
>do the same, ones $100k, the other is $3k, the purchase of the 3k one
>wouldn't be looked into because the 100k one is obviously better.

Sadly this has proved true for me recently (tho I did investigate both ).
The $3k one did almost everything I wanted ... the $100 k one did about a
zillion things more than I wanted. We ended up buying neither ($100 k was
never an option ) and (possibly) finding a couple of $20k possibilities

I'll try to remember to let you know if we prove you wrong

Bruce

-------------------------------------

- George Bernard Shaw

(if there were any)

Bling-Bling

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:02:26 +1200, AD. wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:18:41 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> question: at what point is a place considered an "enterprise"?

> I think it is when you stop caring how much software costs because the
> cost of your own internal processes and staff dwarf it.
>
> Hence vendors having expensive 'enterprise' editions, and the reason
> companies like Oracle still exist.

I think that a "place" is an enterprise when it is not domestic.

Bling-bling

--
Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you
open WINDOWS