Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS is a worry

MS is a worry

Collector╗NZ

Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
as you use it. (And misuse it)

Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?

41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
8 Windows updates total 45MB
In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.

What a **** load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
released a new update ROM

| Local 40.9000░S, 174.9830░E |

Mike Dee

Collector╗NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
> requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that
> creep in as you use it. (And misuse it)
>
> Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows
> Update and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky
> dial up connection?
>
> 41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
> 8 Windows updates total 45MB
> In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to
> others.
>
> What a **** load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
> released a new update ROM

Crumbs, I was seriously thinking of 'upgrading' from 98se to Win2k [I
kid you not]. You have just aided in putting this decision for me onto
hold, yet again. Dang.

.... still need to crash that 4GB file limit tho'

--
dee

plonksville

Collector╗NZ wrote:
> Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
> requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
> as you use it. (And misuse it)
>
> Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
> and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
>
> 41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
> 8 Windows updates total 45MB
> In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.

Yes, and a lot of the ones listed as being ~300k downloads appear to be
merely little more than an install file which then downloads even more!!

> What a **** load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
> released a new update ROM

They've decided to can SP5, and instead release a final "rollup" later
this year ie Win2k + SP4 + Rollup. SP5 would simplify the matter from a
end-user perspective, but end-users don't make the decisions at Microsoft.

No doubt if a complete CD update isn't available directly from MS, it
should be available from elsewhere.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector╗NZ wrote:
> Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
> and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?

is that from win2k?
I would say that 25MB of that would be the .net runtime which isn't
strictly needed ... unless it is needed, so that takes it back to 45MB
~8MB will be Media Player
~8MB will be Direct X

Mercury

Its been available for some time. You only need to knwo where to look.

The big question is How and Why are you trashing your system so often?

"Collector╗NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
> requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
> as you use it. (And misuse it)
>
> Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update and
> gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
>
> 41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
> 8 Windows updates total 45MB
> In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.
>
> What a **** load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
> released a new update ROM
>

> --
> >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

> ================================================== ====================
> | Local 40.9000░S, 174.9830░E |
> ================================================== ====================
> "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
> "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine......
> However, this is not necessarily a good idea...."

Peter S

"Collector╗NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
> requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
> as you use it. (And misuse it)
>
> Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update and
> gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
>
> 41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
> 8 Windows updates total 45MB
> In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.
>
> What a **** load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
> released a new update ROM

Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I installed
Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install. It
is bloody stable.

I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
little more carefully. I don't think you can blame Microsoft for not
releasing patch disks, as in the environment I am in with full geek
developers running 2000 and XP randomly installing stuff off the net they
don't break the environment and don't worry about having to reinstall.

Perhaps better would be when you download the patches to write them to a CD
as it would seem you have to reuse them fairly often, then just access any
extras using Win Update.

Pete.

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:53:07 +1300, Collector┬╗NZ wrote:

> Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
> requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
> as you use it. (And misuse it)

LOL!

At work our main UNIX server that has not had a complete re-install
like you've described above in more than 6 years. It's UNIX - it's rock
solid - it works!

Bling-bling

--
Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you
open WINDOWS

Peter Lowrie

You and your slavish dependence on Windows. If it was done properly in the
first place you wouldn't have these problems. But since you are a sheep
then I suppose you deserve everything you get.

Collector╗NZ wrote:
> Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
> requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
> as you use it. (And misuse it)

Fool. Do you thrive on this stress and trepidation?

> Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
> and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up

connection?
> What a **** load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
> released a new update ROM

Bend over, lube-up and spread wide...

2c
Peter

Lawrence D╣Oliveiro

In article <423c104b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Peter S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
>developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
>SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I installed
>Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install. It
>is bloody stable.
>
>I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
>hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
>little more carefully.

Make up your mind. Either Windows is robust in being able to cope with
all kinds of software and hardware installs, or it's not. In the first
paragraph you boast that it is with the stuff that you use, and then in
the second you admit that maybe it's not with the stuff the OP uses.

David Preece

Peter,

A little more severe than usual...

Peter Lowrie wrote:
> Fool. Do you thrive on this stress and trepidation?
>
> Bend over, lube-up and spread wide...

Not so much ROFL, but some definate audible giggles.

Dave