Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 4ms LCD Monitors

4ms LCD Monitors

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

ViewSonic on Wednesday announced what the company is billing as the world's
fastest 17-and 19-inch LCD monitors.

The new products, the 19-inch Xtreme VX924 and the 17-inch Xtreme VX724,
feature an eight to ten times improvement in the average gray-to-gray response
of 4 milliseconds, the company said.

http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...leId=159901151

Nicholas Sherlock

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
> ViewSonic on Wednesday announced what the company is billing as the world's
> fastest 17-and 19-inch LCD monitors.
>
> The new products, the 19-inch Xtreme VX924 and the 17-inch Xtreme VX724,
> feature an eight to ten times improvement in the average gray-to-gray response
> of 4 milliseconds, the company said.

Gray-to-gray? I thought response time was measured by white<->black..?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Hank

Just ignore Woger. He gets a bit mixed up and reports his own thoughts
as facts. Hes a well known troll on the NZ groups and you'll be best
advised to take anything he posts with a grain of salt.

MarkH

Nicholas Sherlock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:d1cijb$cpg$(E-Mail Removed):

> BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
>> ViewSonic on Wednesday announced what the company is billing as the
>> world's fastest 17-and 19-inch LCD monitors.
>>
>> The new products, the 19-inch Xtreme VX924 and the 17-inch Xtreme
>> VX724, feature an eight to ten times improvement in the average
>> gray-to-gray response of 4 milliseconds, the company said.

> Gray-to-gray? I thought response time was measured by white<->black..?

You should read the article, rather than rely on Roger's summation. The
monitor has a 5ms white-black response time, but Viewsonic claim the 4ms
time to change a shade is a big leap forward for gaming (where shade
changes are more common then compete colour changes).

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)

BILL

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:22:29 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nicholas Sherlock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:d1cijb$cpg$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
>>> ViewSonic on Wednesday announced what the company is billing as the
>>> world's fastest 17-and 19-inch LCD monitors.
>>>
>>> The new products, the 19-inch Xtreme VX924 and the 17-inch Xtreme
>>> VX724, feature an eight to ten times improvement in the average
>>> gray-to-gray response of 4 milliseconds, the company said.

>> Gray-to-gray? I thought response time was measured by white<->black..?

>You should read the article, rather than rely on Roger's summation. The
>monitor has a 5ms white-black response time, but Viewsonic claim the 4ms
>time to change a shade is a big leap forward for gaming (where shade
>changes are more common then compete colour changes).

Are you mentally sick or some thing as I never posted my summation.

Murray Symon

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:21:52 +1300, wrote:

> ViewSonic on Wednesday announced what the company is billing as the world's
> fastest 17-and 19-inch LCD monitors.
>
> The new products, the 19-inch Xtreme VX924 and the 17-inch Xtreme VX724,
> feature an eight to ten times improvement in the average gray-to-gray response
> of 4 milliseconds, the company said.
>

> http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...leId=159901151

You may wish to check out the following article in The Inquirer on
18 Jan 2005. Apparently even a rated zero response time may still
show motion blurring due to human physiological effects.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20773

"Peter Gamby, principal analyst at Meko, said that the whole question
of response times is confused and confusing.

He told the INQ today that even a zero millisecond response rate on a
conventional LCD panel would show blurring on fast moving images. That's
because, he said, of the way the backlight and LC materials work together.

The transistors in a liquid crystal screen, he said, have to "hold" the
aperture open to allow the light to pass through each pixel. That's
different from a CRT monitor, which pulses each pixel to generate the light.

With LCDs, he said, the eye and the brain continue to see light in
between each frame, while with a CRT there's a period of lower or no
light in between each frame, and that helps the brain to process the
movement.

It's not enough to deliver faster response times and other functions
need to be added, said Gamby. Future tech investigated includes
something called blinking backlights which imitate a CRT, but which
inevitably add cost and also degrade contrast and/or colour gamut
performance."

Chadwick

BILL wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:22:29 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Nicholas Sherlock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:d1cijb$cpg$(E-Mail Removed):

the

> >> Gray-to-gray? I thought response time was measured by

white<->black..?

> >You should read the article, rather than rely on Roger's summation.

The
> >monitor has a 5ms white-black response time, but Viewsonic claim the

4ms
> >time to change a shade is a big leap forward for gaming (where shade

> >changes are more common then compete colour changes).

> Are you mentally sick or some thing as I never posted my summation.

I must be mentally sick too, because your post doesn't make it clear
that you're quoting anyone. It looks like you are summarising the
article you link to.

drocket

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:34:04 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gray-to-gray? I thought response time was measured by white<->black..?

Only because the white-to-black response time makes LCD monitors sound
a lot better than they are.

(bad explaination)LCD devices are made of crystals that rotate when
voltage is applied to them. When you go from black-to-white, you go
from 0volts to 5volts (or whatever voltage that the LCDs run on.)
With 5 volts pushing them, the crystals rotate quickly. In a
grey-to-grey change(or a light blue-to-dark blue, or whatever.
Grey-to-grey is shorthand for any change that isn't as 'extreme' as
black to white), though, you may be going from 3volts to 3.5 volts.
In that case, you only have 0.5volts 'pushing' the crystals, so they
rotate to their new position slower than in a black-to-white
change.(/bad explaination)

This is the reason why LCD monitors are still pretty bad for gaming,
even though the claimed response times have improved dramatically.
They work great for browsing the web or working in Word because -
surprise, surprise - that's generally black text on a white
background, exactly what LCDs are good at, while gaming uses
grey-to-grey transition, which are much slower than the claimed
speeds.

Anyway, this is definitely a major advancement for LCD monitors in
gaming. If this technology works out, CRTs will be dead in a couple
of years.

Connected

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:03:39 GMT, drocket <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyway, this is definitely a major advancement for LCD monitors in
>gaming. If this technology works out, CRTs will be dead in a couple
>of years.

Why? Just because of response time? You are forgetting colour accuracy
and contrast ratio. I was in a digital imaging shop yesterday and
there was not one LCD to be seen. Guess why? And it has nothing to do
with response time.

drocket

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:38:34 -0800, Connected
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why? Just because of response time? You are forgetting colour accuracy
>and contrast ratio. I was in a digital imaging shop yesterday and
>there was not one LCD to be seen. Guess why? And it has nothing to do
>with response time.

Ok, fine: CRTs for the home market will be dead.

Re: Are LCD Monitors Brigter than CRT Monitors Martin Digital Photography 0 09-08-2004 04:09 PM
NEC LCD monitors any good? me6@privacy.net Computer Support 16 06-08-2004 01:57 PM
Flat Panel LCD Monitors rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 5 02-15-2004 09:18 PM
LCD monitors drvnguy Computer Support 7 12-27-2003 01:35 AM
Re: Anyone know a good cheap supplier of TFT LCD Monitors Boomer Computer Support 9 12-17-2003 08:55 PM

Advertisments